Olympic Track Cycling

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Singer01 said:
trott looked very powerful there.

also, why were the two individual sprint GB women not the team sprint? they look like they could have done a bit of damage.
They didn't qualify for the team sprint.

Gloin22 said:
How is cav not dsqed after that?

You can take out everyone and win in this **** lol
It was a racing incident, happens at every level from weeknight track league to the Olympics. It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.
 
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.
That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?
Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.
 
Apr 11, 2011
113
0
0
Re:

luckyboy said:
Huh

I saw that it was for unspecified 'incorrect behaviour'
Kennett expended all his energy gaining the lap. The next time the pace was lifted he was dropped and eventually he gave up. The cameras showed him a couple of times but the commentators (in the UK at least) missed it.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.
That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?
Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.
Part of your argument was that 'it made no difference to the medals'.
That's a non-argument. Penalties shouldn't be handed out on consequences, but on the action itself.

PS: I do watch a lot of track cycling, actually. I thought this incident deserved more than a warning.
 
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
Jagartrott said:
King Boonen said:
It was Cavendishs' fault but I don't think it was intentional and at the end of the day it made no difference to the medals.
That's a total non-argument.
Should I not be fined for driving 200 km/h through a village if I injured no-one?
Thank you for the completely irrelevant comparison that has absolutely nothing to do with the incident being discussed.

It was a racing incident, end of. Anyone who has spent time watching track racing or racing themselves will have seen exactly the same move thousands of times.Crashes happen, get over it.
Part of your argument was that 'it made no difference to the medals'.
That's a non-argument. Penalties shouldn't be handed out on consequences, but on the action itself.

PS: I do watch a lot of track cycling, actually. I thought this incident deserved more than a warning.
Actually no, my argument was that it wasn't intentional and was a racing incident, the second half of the sentence was just to say that it had no effect on the medals so in the end the it was irrelevant. As has been discussed in the other thread, causing a crash intentionally like that would be a massive risk on the riders part, taking out the 14th(?) placed rider in the race would be pointless when you're fighting for a medal and the neutralisation of the race hurt Cavendishs' chances.

I do too and I've seen exactly the same move in pretty much every single points race I can remember. I don't think it deserved more than a warning, that sets a dangerous precedent and would mean constant DQ's, including one for Viviani in the same race I think, because as you rightly point out:

penalties shouldn't be handed out on the consequences, but on the action itself.
 
I agree with most that a DQ would be too harsh. A warning seems about right, on current rules. Particularly given that I think Cueff didn't even get that (that should've been a DQ).

But I do think there should be some kind of penalty in between a warning and an outright DQ. Points docked and a monetary fine for stupid/irresponsible moves. Even though they would inevitably only come to play when there are consequences to said actions.
 
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Brullnux said:
Do you reckon Gaviria can appeal? I don't know the rules, so it's a genuine question
appeal for what?
The crash caused by Cavendish. He wasn't involved but I've seen it in other sports before, when the guy who missed out appeals.
Had it not been for the chaos created by Cavendish mowing down the Korean and Viviani, Gaviria would never have been allowed to break free and lap the others. It was his luck, actually
 
Sep 17, 2014
917
0
0
Re:

Red Rick said:
What's going on with the Keirin final right now? Did they start sprinting too early?
Yes, but the derny bike came off a little late... dunno what the ruling should be really.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Track Cycling 0
Similar threads
Track Through the Back!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS