• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics 2021

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can someone explain to me why Italy don't really play handball? I take it that it's quite popular in both France and Spain, not to mention the Balkans, and Italy really stands out in not featuring (together with the Brits, but that's more understandable).

McDermott simply realised that with Mahuchikh and Lasitskene the only others left in, she had to carry the emotion for three, since both, especially Lasitskene, are so stoic. At the end of the day though, it's only fair and right that Masha won the gold, it was the only thing missing and she's been so dominant for so long. This was probably her only chance, with the young talent coming through, so it's good that she can complete the set like that.

McDermott simply realised that with Mahuchikh and Lasitskene the only others left in, she had to carry the emotion for three, since both, especially Lasitskene, are so stoic. At the end of the day though, it's only fair and right that Masha won the gold, it was the only thing missing and she's been so dominant for so long. This was probably her only chance, with the young talent coming through, so it's good that she can complete the set like that.

Yes, that's how I felt, too, especially after the last Olympics and her age considered this seems only fair.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
It's actually a bit funny now. Nobody cared about the modern pentathlon, and during the female's event the German commentating was a bit nicer towards the horses than in Rio (more neutral), but didn't actually care, he was only interested in the rider's chances. The live-ticker I followed a bit was very negative towards the horses again, blaming them (balky and so on), that's probably part of why I was so upset. But obviously I was not the only one who was angered by what she saw and there must have started a movement on social media, which led to more and more articles in the German press, and now it's everywhere, THE topic in the sports section since two days, interviews with pretty much everyone, commentaries...
Obviously only in Germany, though, because of Schleu and her coach's comments ("hit it harder", when the problem goes beyond that.
The male athletes today were overall a bit better than the women, but still 4 of them didn't even manage to get their horse through the parcours at all (for which you need 4 cases of disobeyance each), one had to give up because the reins were ripped! ... I wonder did he pull them so extremely or was it the rider before him? And many others, just like the women, rode into the barriers at one point. The commentator was a different one this time and during the first crashes he put emphasis on "thankfully the horse and rider are both okay, that's the most important"... and such, lol.
Okay, anyway, what I want so say: I'm happy the topic has gained some attention, but it seems more a sudden outcry and hype than a good evaluation of the situation. Well. See you in three years, pentathletes.

It's actually a bit funny now. Nobody cared about the modern pentathlon, and during the female's event the German commentating was a bit nicer towards the horses than in Rio (more neutral), but didn't actually care, he was only interested in the rider's chances. The live-ticker I followed a bit was very negative towards the horses again, blaming them (balky and so on), that's probably part of why I was so upset. But obviously I was not the only one who was angered by what she saw and there must have started a movement on social media, which led to more and more articles in the German press, and now it's everywhere, THE topic in the sports section since two days, interviews with pretty much everyone, commentaries...
Obviously only in Germany, though, because of Schleu and her coach's comments ("hit it harder", when the problem goes beyond that.
The male athletes today were overall a bit better than the women, but still 4 of them didn't even manage to get their horse through the parcours at all (for which you need 4 cases of disobeyance each), one had to give up because the reins were ripped! ... I wonder did he pull them so extremely or was it the rider before him? And many others, just like the women, rode into the barriers at one point. The commentator was a different one this time and during the first crashes he put emphasis on "thankfully the horse and rider are both okay, that's the most important"... and such, lol.
Okay, anyway, what I want so say: I'm happy the topic has gained some attention, but it seems more a sudden outcry and hype than a good evaluation of the situation. Well. See you in three years, pentathletes.

Ah, a last addition, then I'll stop with this topic, the commentator today said the pentathletes train running every day, swimming about five times a week, fencing I think it was two or three times a week and riding once a week... if you consider that many start that sport very late after they have tried and competed in other sports, and only learn riding for this, well...

Terrific run by Jakob Ingebrigtsen, I thought he was there just for the Olympic experience being he's still so young. But the kid is for real.

Wish Gidey had won the women's 10k, she's beautiful to watch. Hassan would have irritated the hell out of me the way she ran, but she did what she had to do to secure the gold.

As an aside - I finally found out the name of the commentator of the field events, it's John Trower. He's so awesome, he could make brushing your teeth seem exciting.

Unfortunately you're probably right. At the time there was a huge public outpouring of emotion for the horse I mentioned upthread, Barbaro, a few years later nobody even remembered and it was business as usual. I feel so bad for the horses, which is why I can't watch horse races and events anymore. A lot of times they're just being mistreated, all for the sake of a moment of glory.

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS