• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympics Doping Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
French 50k walker, Diniz, today had intestinal problems, á la Radcliffe during the marathon where a brown liquid was escaping their shorts.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

simoni said:
AlbineVespuzzio said:
simoni said:
Be that as it may (and I don't disagree that the focus on Russia in recent months has, effectively, taken the focus of others), the facts are that she's recently been banned from competition.

That she, or anyone else, could be elected to an IOC position whilst being under a ban is ludicrous. How are we supposed to take such an organization seriously?

She's banned from competition by the IAAF

And by extension the IOC.
Read a bit further, please. There's a tendency to get things wrong if you only read the first sentence.

The Hitch said:
Irondan said:
BullsFan22 said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-19/weightlifter-stripped-of-medal-for-doping-with-rat-poison/7765698
To some people an Olympic medal is a matter of life or death apparently.... :(
Quite possibly a majority. After all most athletes say they would accept death in a year if it meant winning a gold medal.
I haven't heard that one...

Doping with strychnine could possibly get you a gold medal and kill you at the same time, so it's not something that I doubt.

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-19/weightlifter-stripped-of-medal-for-doping-with-rat-poison/7765698
Well there you go...again, not picking on the "-istan" countries, but you can't make this stuff up!

I don't know what the sports scene or specifically weightlifting or boxing (two of the most brutal sports on the Olympic schedule) is like in 'stan-countries' (I hate writing that, because to me it's stereotyping, but that's just my thinking) as I've never been there and have never experienced their culture and how these brutal sports play a role to the not so well off youngsters there, but I will say going through such lengths as to use 'rat poisoning' is extreme. I've never been in an Olympian's shoe and I've obviously never been touted as an Olympic medalist, so I don't know the sacrifices these men and women have to make, but taking such substances would not be something I would readily take. Must be some real tough pep talks/brainwashing/threats to make me take something like that. Again, that's just my non-Olympian, holier-than-thou thinking on that.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

thrawn said:
Ayana just blew up in the 5k final. Guess she couldn't refuel since the 10k.

She went fast in the semi as well - probably too fast, in hindsight. Quite surprising, but then we know about the Kenyan programme. 10 medals for them now - 5 gold, 5 silver

Bwlch y Groes said:
thrawn said:
Ayana just blew up in the 5k final. Guess she couldn't refuel since the 10k.

She went fast in the semi as well - probably too fast, in hindsight. Quite surprising, but then we know about the Kenyan programme. 10 medals for them now - 5 gold, 5 silver

Cheruiyot is clean, Eloise Wellings said that she is clean, Australians don't dope and would not get that wrong.

Another name to add to the pile of retest positives - Evgeniia Kolodko, who loses a shotput silver from 2012.

46 athletes from 98 named so far.
Nearly all from ex-Soviet countries - 22 Russians, 5 Kazakhs, 4 Azeris, 4 Belorussians, 4 Turks, 3 Armenians, 2 Moldovans, 1 each from Georgia, Ukraine.

30 of the named are weightlifters.

A lot of the positives have been for deydrochlormethyltestosterone, otherwise known as Oral-Turinabol - the drug all the athletes in the East German doping program were given. Seems notable - would think that there would be something more effective than drugs that were used so long ago.

Kolodko tested positive for this, and also ipamorelin - a growth hormone-stimulating peptide which I hadn't heard of before..

Re:

luckyboy said:
lmao ITV report on how Bolt is so great. He eats yams and puts in "hard graft". It mentioned that 21/30 fastest 100m times were by dopers.

Conclusion: "Usain Bolt has probably saved the reputation of his sport"

I've just scanned through the top 100m times and it seems the only person not to test positive apart from bolt in the top 50 is maurice greene!

motty89 said:
luckyboy said:
lmao ITV report on how Bolt is so great. He eats yams and puts in "hard graft". It mentioned that 21/30 fastest 100m times were by dopers.

I've just scanned through the top 100m times and it seems the only person not to test positive apart from bolt in the top 50 is maurice greene!

Not a surprise, the 100m is arguably the benchmark for doping in athletics. What is surprising is Maurice Greene. If the 100m is the benchmark for doping, then Maurice Greene has to be the stereotypical doped sprinter. He was at his best post Atlanta 1996 and early 2000's up to Athens 2004. This was the time when reports of widespread drug use at the USOC came out. I wonder if Greene was one of the runners that had positive tests wiped away. I hate to keep bringing that up, but I think it's interesting.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Paula Radcliffe on bbc 1 talking about Mo saying "the key change in Mo was when he moved from Alan Story to Alberto Salazar" She then continued to talk about how the switch aided his recovery, his strength and his end of run speed.

I also saw on twitter (sorry I can't find it now) a journalist implying that Paula had slagged Mo off when cameras weren't around. Anyone got any reason to believe Paula has a problem with Mo? As the mentioning of Salazar seems strange considering his doping implication was fairly high profile news.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Asbel Kiprop bottles it again, just as he did in 2012. Just goes to show that you can dope all you want but it's all meaningless if you can't put yourself in the right position in the final

Re:

Remmie123 said:
Paula Radcliffe on bbc 1 talking about Mo saying "the key change in Mo was when he moved from Alan Story to Alberto Salazar" She then continued to talk about how the switch aided his recovery, his strength and his end of run speed.

I also saw on twitter (sorry I can't find it now) a journalist implying that Paula had slagged Mo off when cameras weren't around. Anyone got any reason to believe Paula has a problem with Mo? As the mentioning of Salazar seems strange considering his doping implication was fairly high profile news.

Maybe Paula is just jelly of Mo's success at the Olympics. He's now won three goals, and perhaps another beckons, while she doesn't have any.

BullsFan22 said:
motty89 said:
luckyboy said:

Not a surprise, the 100m is arguably the benchmark for doping in athletics. What is surprising is Maurice Greene. If the 100m is the benchmark for doping, then Maurice Greene has to be the stereotypical doped sprinter. He was at his best post Atlanta 1996 and early 2000's up to Athens 2004. This was the time when reports of widespread drug use at the USOC came out. I wonder if Greene was one of the runners that had positive tests wiped away. I hate to keep bringing that up, but I think it's interesting.

Greene was caught buying drugs In balco iirc

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Watching the "women's" 800, I have to wonder, is the person who finished 3rd, I think the name was Wambui from Kenya... Is that another inter-sex athlete? Serious question.

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Team Salazar crushing it tonight!

BTW does anyone know anything about Paul Chelimo? I've never heard of the guy and he almost pulled the upset of all Olympic upsets... Gotta wonder about that...

Re:

luckyboy said:
Another name to add to the pile of retest positives - Evgeniia Kolodko, who loses a shotput silver from 2012.

46 athletes from 98 named so far.
Nearly all from ex-Soviet countries - 22 Russians, 5 Kazakhs, 4 Azeris, 4 Belorussians, 4 Turks, 3 Armenians, 2 Moldovans, 1 each from Georgia, Ukraine.

30 of the named are weightlifters.

A lot of the positives have been for deydrochlormethyltestosterone, otherwise known as Oral-Turinabol - the drug all the athletes in the East German doping program were given. Seems notable - would think that there would be something more effective than drugs that were used so long ago.

Kolodko tested positive for this, and also ipamorelin - a growth hormone-stimulating peptide which I hadn't heard of before..

They are only catching ex-Soviet athletes? The testing and the retesting are both politicized. Apart from GB and the USA everyone else should go to the beach. No point in coming.