• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Omega Pharma Quick Step: Are you kidding me??

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes. Giro della Toscana, in April. First weekend back racing.
Announced on May 20th, the rest day.

Aaaaand, I'm not claim Uran clean. Certainly suspicious. Just not placing all suspect eggs in one ITT basket.
Agreed, Rigo always had TT proweness.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
No story whatsoever. Uran has always been a good climber, but he's vulnerable to changes in pace. He's much stockier too than Quintana and the guys who can accelerate multiple times.

I'm not saying Uran's clean or dirty- but he was always going to struggle to follow Quintana when it got to the really high mountains.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Afrank said:
Perhaps worked more on his TT in the off season and his climbing has suffered as a result.

I'd like to understand the physiology that leads a TT training session to negatively impact your climbing ability.

The only thing I can imagine is power to weight, where TT likes more absolute power and climbing likes less weight.

Otherwise, "working more on your TT", imo, is not going to affect your climbing that much.

ETA: particularly given the hilly nature of the TTs being held. To spend more time on (flatland) TTing for the 2014 Giro would be dumb, imo.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, putting on weight can improve the TT in the flat whilst hampering climbing.

Which is why some of the top GC guys in recent years have opted to instead lose weight, improve the TT in the flat nontheless and climb better, with the only notable drawback being a skeleton like appearance. Uran clearly missed a trick there.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Ferminal said:
It's textbook for them though. Let's see how the other crazy medical team Europcar go, wouldn't be surprised for Rolland to have one real good and one real bad day from what we have left.

AG2R are doing ok until last night as well, innit? Potsofepo was storming until now.

ETA: had another look and he's still in the hunt.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Von Mises said:
It cannot be true. Clinic has establisehed long time ago that doping so easy and BP made it even easier.

When was the last time OPQS had a decent GT program?

Lefevere just not a good DS when it comes to GTs. Since 2003 they have not won either of the 3 GTs. Not going back further.....

Taus doesn't seem to be a great GT doc. One days, brilliant and probably there best, but GTs........

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
When was the last time OPQS had a decent GT program?

Taus doesn't seem to be a great GT doc. One days, brilliant and probably there best, but GTs........
1995 Rominger, the only rider Lefevere had who won a GT, the Giro (in 1994 pre-Lefevere he won the Vuelta at Mapei-Clas).

Ibarguen actually has some GT prowess, look at this list of clients:
Tonkov
Zulle
Heras
Mancebo
Ricco
Piepoli
Mayo

Heh, disconcerting typing that list and knowing he's still around.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Franklin said:
1995 Rominger, the only rider Lefevere had who won a GT, the Giro (in 1994 pre-Lefevere he won the Vuelta at Mapei-Clas).

Ibarguen actually has some GT prowess, look at this list of clients:
Tonkov
Zulle
Heras
Mancebo
Ricco
Piepoli
Mayo

Heh, disconcerting typing that list and knowing he's still around.

Giving riders loads of EPO hardly prowess :D