• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Getting beyond a joke this year.

It is all being said in the Jose Ibarguren thread where he is now team Doctor and was Team Doctor for Gilbert at Omega Pharma Lotto last year.

BMC should've hired Jose rather than Gilbert. :D

PS wonder do Omega Pharma use their riders as guinea pigs unbeknown to them?

If I understand correctly .Team doctor ibarguen worked for Lotto last year, was named in the Mantua-case and worked for Saunier Duval in the past year.

I mean... COME ON. Wow I wonder why all their riders ride faster than ****ing lightning.
Also explains Gilberts super year last year. Not to mention the Saunier Duval super duper trio of Cobo, Piepoli and Ricco :rolleyes:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If I understand correctly .Team doctor ibarguen worked for Lotto last year, was named in the Mantua-case and worked for Saunier Duval in the past year.

I mean... COME ON. Wow I wonder why all their riders ride faster than ****ing lightning.
Also explains Gilberts super year last year. Not to mention the Saunier Duval super duper trio of Cobo, Piepoli and Ricco :rolleyes:
Indeed, those riders are doped to their eyeballs. A shame, I used to like Boonen, but what's going on at quick step is fairly obvious.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
why is lefevre still allowed to manage a team?
I wonder what he pays the UCI.

"Patrick Lefevre, 30 years of doping", was the title of an article that appeared in 2007 in a belgian newspaper. Lefevre went to court and the newspaper had to pay a 500.000 fine to Lefevre.
In the article, eight people (most or all(?) of whom wanted to stay anonymous) claimed to have witnessed teamdoping at Mapei/Quick Step. The witnesses included cyclists and an italian doctor.

http://06.live-radsport.ch/details_...fe_gegen_Lefevre__Museeuw_gesteht_Doping.html

back then, Boonen said this in defense of Lefevre:
Quickstep-Profi und Sprintstar Tom Boonen hat sich mittlerweile auch zu den Anschuldigungen geäußert. Er glaube nicht, dass es diesen anonymen Fahrer überhaupt gibt. "Das ist unmöglich. Ich glaube nicht eine Sekunde daran, dass ein Fahrer von uns solche Äußerungen macht, die im übrigen falsch sind. ....Ich habe weiterhin volles Vertrauen in Patrick. Er ist mehr als nur mein Manager. Er ist jemand, der uns Rennfahrer ständig anhält, sauberen Radsport zu betreiben. Man sagt, wo Rauch ist, ist auch Feuer. Aber solche anonymen Äußerungen sind lächerlich", so Boonen.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
in defence of OPQS: The Boonen of the last 6, 7 years would almost always have won today, given the opponents, a decent team (not the strongest today) and no bad luck. The way he won today was nice, but if the leaders of the other teams refuse to help in the chase... It's not a tour sprint stage. - and even in the tour, you don't chase Contador in a mountainous ride with 'regular' riders.

ilrumne said:
in defence of OPQS: The Boonen of the last 6, 7 years would almost always have won today, given the opponents, a decent team (not the strongest today) and no bad luck. The way he won today was nice, but if the leaders of the other teams refuse to help in the chase... It's not a tour sprint stage. - and even in the tour, you don't chase Contador in a mountainous ride with 'regular' riders.
The Boonen of the last 6, 7 years didn't win GW, E3, RVV and PR in a row, nor were several of his teammates (Chavanel, Terpstra) stronger than ever, nor had his team won some 27 races in 3 months. Every single performance, by isolation, is believable, but it's when you add everything up that something's off.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
ilrumne said:

But the other team leaders couldn't gain on him when they did move, even though he had been solo'ing for 35k while they had been drafting.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
De Grote Scheldepijs (lol) is the only classic OMQS hasn't won the last couple of weeks. Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3, Gent-Wevelgem, Driedaagse van de Panne, Ronde van Vlaanderen, Parijs-Roubaix. That's quite a list.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
OPQS have become the 'blue train' of 2012 and instead of the Tdf they are gonna take everything else and probably put Bottle on the podium of the TdF too for good measure. Boonen to take the green jersey if he rides the TdF.

Brailsford and the rest of the need new team doctors. :rolleyes:

Pro cycling is once again advertising itself as a PED sport. Well done UCI!

You need to be blind or stupid to think Boonen and OPQS are doing this on evian.

Other sports are PED full too but apart from Tennis, which is so obvious and it will just take 1 big positive to make everyone say "oh yeah look at them they do looked doped to their gills, how did we not see it", cycling makes it so crystal clear to the fans.

Ibarguren's wins in a span of 365 days:

Flèche brabançonne: Philippe Gilbert
Amstel Gold Race: Philippe Gilbert
Flèche wallonne: Philippe Gilbert
Liège-Bastogne-Liège: Philippe Gilbert
Gullegem kermess: Philippe Gilbert
Tour of Belgium + queen stage: Philippe Gilbert
Ster ZLN Tour + queen stage: Philippe Gilbert (even though he raced slower than Terpstra overall)
Stage at Tour of Belgium: André Greipel
Mountain stage at Giro d'Italia: Bart De Clercq
Stage at Dauphiné: Jurgen Van den Broeck
Belgian Championship RR: Philippe Gilbert
Hilly stage at Bore de France: Philippe Gilbert
Flat stage at Bore de France: Andre Greipel
Mountain stage at Bore de France: Jelle Vanendert
3 post-Bore criterium in the same week: Philippe Gilbert
Clasica San Sebastian: Philippe Gilbert
3 stages at Eneco Tour: Philippe Gilbert & Andre Greipel
Belgian Championship TT: Philippe Gilbert
Quebec GP: Philippe Gilbert
GP de Wallonie: Philippe Gilbert
Copenhagen 6-Days: Iljo Keisse
Czech Championship cyclocross: Zdenek Stybar
Middelkerke cyclocross: Zdenek Stybar
3 flat stages at the Tour of San Luis: Francesco Chicchi & Tom Boonen
Tour of San Luis (+TT & another stage): Levy Leipheimer
Tour of Qatar + 2 stages: Tom Boonen
Trofeo Palma: Andy Fenn
Trofeo Migjorn: Andy Fenn
Tour of Oman: Peter Velits
Stage at the Volta ao Algarve: Gerald Ciolek
Three-Days of West Flanders: Julien Vermote
2 stages at the Three Days of West Flanders: Francesco Chicchi & Michal Kwiatkowski
Stage at Paris-Nice: Tom Boonen
Nokere Koerse: Francesco Chicchi
Handzame Classic: Francesco Chicchi
ex-Dwars door België: Niki Terpstra
E3 Harelbeke: Tom Boonen
Ghent-Wevelgem: Tom Boonen
Three-Days of De Panne + TT: Sylvain Chavanel
Tour of Flanders: Tom Boonen
Paris-Roubaix Tom Boonen

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It is becoming quite embarassing how they stomp all other teams, normally my first reaction wont be "DOPE" but damn, this season is becoming ridiculous... :eek:

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, I seriously cannot wait to see Bottle in July. I'm not being sarcastic either, I hope they load him up so much he's taking off at the top of the mountains. It will be a reet laugh!

Echoes said:
It's high time antidoping concentrate on the classics, now.

This is absolutely ABNORMAL !

Antidoping focused for far too long on stage races, giving cheating classicmen too much freedom.

Yes, but there are many challenges here.
-UCI running interference a half-dozen ways.
-Timing is everything in doping and the one-days give riders maximum lattitude in doping.

Stage racing the timing issues aren't quite eliminated, but it's harder to have it all work out to a false negative.

I think part of the final answer is manditory back-dated testing. This gives testers the time to catch up to the protocols.

The other part is to give WADA much more authority and some transparency. I'd like to see some regular anonymous stats from WADA. X number of tests, Y number of negatives, Z number of suspicious results and W number of positives.

I second the Mapei reference. Unforgetable.

At the rate they are going, the UCI has recreated the conditions for another doping scandal.

TRENDING THREADS