• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ovo Energy Tour of Britain UCI 2.HC (07.09-14.09)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Trentin with boni seconds to the lead again.

I hope VdP gives it a go in the TT tomorrow. But I don't expect too much of it. His TT results in the past indicate no greatness at all. Some half decent prologue results in really weak fields.
Best I can find is a Tour of Belgium prologue were he was 11th and something in the region of 19 seconds down on Rohan Dennis

I hope VdP gives it a go in the TT tomorrow. But I don't expect too much of it. His TT results in the past indicate no greatness at all. Some half decent prologue results in really weak fields.
Best I can find is a Tour of Belgium prologue were he was 11th and something in the region of 19 seconds down on Rohan Dennis
Has he ever had a reason to try before?

Trentin TT has worsened incredibly since he rides for Orica and his form is probably regressing since the Tour looking at the two uphill sprints, i'm almost certain he won't be a threat.
I'd say will be Politt the real threat or maybe Teunissen, unless somehow we'll see a sudden resurgence from Moscon.

Trentin TT has worsened incredibly since he rides for Orica and his form is probably regressing since the Tour looking at the two uphill sprints, i'm almost certain he won't be a threat.
I'd say will be Politt the real threat or maybe Teunissen, unless somehow we'll see a sudden resurgence from Moscon.

He was 10th in the Tour de Suisse TT this year. Perhaps one of the only times he has gone for a result in the discipline the last couple of years?

He is definitely the primary threat.

He was 10th in the Tour de Suisse TT this year. Perhaps one of the only times he has gone for a result in the discipline the last couple of years?

He is definitely the primary threat.
That was the only time he entered in the top 20 since the 2017 Vuelta, i don't think he has ridden seriously only in one TT in the last two years.

Anyway i think here a lot of people are understimating van der Poel, he rides so little TT that we don't have a clear reference, i remember the same with van Aert and then we saw what is capable of...

Well, today's stage is going to be a struggle. A flat TT around a market town in middle England. We begin in Pershore and this is where we will finish so let us leave this for the end. The riders will follow a short loop anti-clockwise (it's definitely anti-clockwise, I bothered to check this time!) towards Great Comberton. Lying at the partly on the steep northern slope and partly on the foot of Bredon Hill, some of the riders may fear that we will see actual gradients today. Fear not, brave followers, our route will make a sharp turn north towards Little Comberton, skirting round the base of "Britain's Ventoux" a nickname that has never been given to Bredon Hill and I literally made up as I was typing this. Great Comberton has been around since BV (before Valverde) and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book (just like Valverde's first pro win...).

Bredon Hill has clearly been of strategic value throughout the history of England and Britain. Roman earthworks, an Iron Age fort and the remains of a Medieval castle can be found on the hill (our route avoids this castle for fear of reminding the riders of their night spent in Newcastle) and Worcestershire's (pronounced wu-ster-sher for those who struggle with English place names) largest ever hoard of Roman artefacts was found here, including over 4,000 roman coins from the reigns of 16 different Emperors. After Brexit this hoard will probably be enough to buy Worcestershire and you can rename it to something more easily understood... Bredon Hill has the strange distinction of being named three times. What's this nonsense I hear no-one ask..? The name is composed of words meaning hill in three different languages, Bre has Celtic origins, Don, is old English and Hill is.. well... it's hill. Bredon Hill has been immortalised in a vast array of art work, from paintings and poems to songs and stories.

From Great Comberton we next arrive at Little Comberton, a small village containing some lovely thatched cottages which will make for a picturesque route and provide something for commentators to describe while no-one pays any attention to the racing.

Our first clue as to how riders are fairly comes in Bricklehampton. Another small village, Bricklehampton is possibly the longest one-word, isogrammic place name in the English-speaking world. If any of our well-travelled brethren know of a longer one then please do pipe up. This is where our time check will happen, possibly lifting us from the gentle slumber so associated with watching time trials.

From here we return to Pershore, crossing back across the Avon and the gruelling 14.5km is over. Pershore is famous for its Abbey, which has recieved patronage form a long list of Mercian Kings. Those of you with a penchant for this will recognise names like Coenwulf and Æthelred of Mercia, the last of the great Merican Kings to rule over the Anglo-Saxons before the Kings of Wessex defeated them and ulitimately became the first real Kings of the English when Æthelstan captured York after Sihtric's death and Constantine of Scotland, Hywel Dda of Deheubarth (the man who eventually ruled over most of Wales), Ealdred of Bamburgh (remember the castle?!) and Owain of Strathclyde (the location of stage 1) accepted his overlordship. If this period of history has you interested then Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, a fictionalised historical novel series set in this period of history, centring around Uhtred of Bebbanburg (yes! That's Bamburgh again!).

This region is also famous for Perry, or pear-cider (we'll not go into that argument here...). Similar to apple cider (or hard cider for the US audience), Perry is an alcoholic drink made from fermented pears. It needs to be pears and pears only, many of the mass-produced pear ciders are not true pear-ciders as they use apple-cider as a base. It's well worth getting a bottle of real Perry if you are ever in the area.

That's your lot today, it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get that Æ symbol to appear! Route and profile below. Enjoy the stage:

tour-of-brittain-2019-stage-6-map-3df218af61.jpg

tour-of-brittain-2019-stage-6-profile-8a13ea9531.jpg

TRENDING THREADS