• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

paper tiger masquerading as a truth banner.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
is white the fall guy for vaughters?

did vaughters hand the day to day running of the team to white so he could stay clean whilst his riders worked with pepi marti and del moral?

what has he got to hide?

I hear that of all the USPS riders Vaughters actually had the biggest habit.

I can't believe Lowe is asking for money on the basis of a breach of contract.
It's not about the bike.

Blind Freddy knows that Garmin trained many riders into the ground and maybe with Lowe this is what has ruined his health

It looks like they are now trying to ruin his reputation as well. Lowe isn't a dope. But Garmin are dopes if they think they can get away with bullying Lowe and Hardie.

The latest Slipstream press release is a paper tiger masquerading as a truth banner.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Shortleg said:
I think that he's had far worse than Garmin could ever throw at him. And comes from a fine tradition of fighting lawyers from the Northern Territory and beyond.

The public allegations of blackmail to which he is supposedly a party may have him looking at all sorts of legal remedies both offensive and defensive.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow.

I guess this is the reward you get for trying to be transparent and putting information that could easily have remained private into the public domain?

Tell you what JV, don't bother next time. Just keep it all under wraps, nice and quiet, and pray that nothing sneaks out under the wire a few years down the line. That's the proper way to do things in cycling.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Shortleg said:
I think that he's had far worse than Garmin could ever throw at him. And comes from a fine tradition of fighting lawyers from the Northern Territory and beyond.
he says thanks, and next time u get a bed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Chuffy said:
Wow.

I guess this is the reward you get for trying to be transparent and putting information that could easily have remained private into the public domain?

Tell you what JV, don't bother next time. Just keep it all under wraps, nice and quiet, and pray that nothing sneaks out under the wire a few years down the line. That's the proper way to do things in cycling.
whose transparency?

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:

did vaughters hand the day to day running of the team to white so he could stay clean whilst his riders worked with pepi marti and del moral?

what has he got to hide?

It's not about the bike.

Blind Freddy knows that Garmin trained many riders into the ground and maybe with Lowe this is what has ruined his health

It looks like they are now trying to ruin his reputation as well. Lowe isn't a dope. But Garmin are dopes if they think they can get away with bullying Lowe and Hardie.

The latest Slipstream press release is a paper tiger masquerading as a truth banner.

I thought over training was a sure sign trying to train and compete clean(er) against dirty opposition. There was a few, Backstedt, Kessiakoff etc at Garmin.

blackcat said:

Yes

what has he got to hide?

he's got a lot to lose

why leave then?

It's not about the bike.

Garmin and Pegasus left Lowe with very few options

Perhaps

Why wouldn't they, heat on White and Lowe shifts the focus from the real questions

Who really knows...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Nothing here quite adds up.

Slipstream have managed the information well; by controlling the leak, they control the spin to be placed on it.

But the story as advertised doesn't quite make sense. Especially with the new pdfs involved. I'm waiting for the other side of the story, before jumping to conclusions about Lowe. I'm not sure who has been hard done by: Lowe, White or Vaughters.

blackcat said:

what has he got to hide?

It's not about the bike.

Runitout said:
Nothing here quite adds up.

Slipstream have managed the information well; by controlling the leak, they control the spin to be placed on it.

But the story as advertised doesn't quite make sense. Especially with the new pdfs involved. I'm waiting for the other side of the story, before jumping to conclusions about Lowe. I'm not sure who has been hard done by: Lowe, White or Vaughters.

I see it like this:

1. Lowe may have been fired for an unknown number of reasons, but two of them were a) his "moonlighting" with Pegasus and b) seeing the dodgy Doc in violation of contract, though I think this latter did not come up initially.

2. Lowe appoints Hardie who responds to each of the unknown reasons and concludes that with a settlement offer. We don't know how he responded to the moonlighting thing but to Lowe's seeing the dodgy doc, he presents the PDF, saying you had notice of this and you said nada at the time.

3. Vaughters has to fire White as a matter of principle over the dodgy doc.

4. Hardie's offer to Slipstream is $500,000 which would be calculated to cover a number of aspects of the damages alleged by Lowe.

5. Slipstream decides to put the story out there, probably omitting that one of the reasons it fired Lowe was because of the visit to the dodgy doc.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Chances are we will hear nothing from Lowe. At the moment its wise to keep schtum because of the negotiations and now it is likely that any settlement will include an NDA.

L'arriviste said:
5. Slipstream decides to put the story out there, probably omitting that one of the reasons it fired Lowe was because of the visit to the dodgy doc.

Hmm, interested in hearing other thoughts on this.

I thought Lowe was out of Slipstream simply because he wasn't good enough. For whatever reason he had a couple of bad seasons and everyone could see he wouldn't fit in the G-C roster.

The funny thing is if this brewing scandal was simply because Slipstream management got annoyed with Lowe riding a Scott (instead a Felt which Garmin ditched anyway?).

Maybe Lowe was looking for something anyway (money, liberation, redemption), as Pegasus fell down.

It seems clear that White is a scapegoat, he was purged to protect the wider image of the team. If Slipstream didn't act on White then Lowe/Hardie might have got their side out first?

This is without even considering the possibility that LA/JB played a role.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Lowe has really suffered the last couple of years. He has been flat and I can see why he would reach out to White and explore a different range of treatments if the Garmin team docs just shined him on and said take vitamins. If he was gassed and didn't get caught he may have info that shows that the Garmin test
regiment is not so effective. The fact that White has another cycling doctor's phone number at the ready is kind of strange given the amount of time he spent working with Vaughters/Garmin. No matter what Pegasus was thinking by signing him was insane unless they agreed to about expenses and 10 or 15k salary the guy has had a hard time turning over the pedals with a big team w lots of resources Pegasus medical team will consist of stopping at a pharmacy while in the team van