• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2012 - Stage 8: Nice - Col d'Èze (ITT), 9,6 km

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Identify with a rider for what language he speaks instead of what he does on the road?

You identify with them because, due to them speaking the same language, the media you read and watch interview them far more frequently and you get to 'know' them better and are therefore more likely to favour them.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
Hmm, noticed Wiggo is using elliptical chainrings, anyone know how long he's been doing that?

He was using them back in 2009, at least:

2009_Tour_Bradley_Wiggins_TT_web.jpg

Mambo95 said:
You identify with them because, due to them speaking the same language, the media you read and watch interview them far more frequently and you get to 'know' them better and are therefore more likely to favour them.

That explanation just doesn't fly in the states because there is almost no coverage in the general media, so any coverage we get is through something like CN, which translates the interviews (in print) of riders from all countries. And if you're on this forum, you,re hearing just as much about Dutch and
Belgian riders as any English-speaking riders, so why wouldn't you favor them just as much?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Sciatic said:
That explanation just doesn't fly in the states because there is almost no coverage in the general media, so any coverage we get is through something like CN, which translates the interviews (in print) of riders from all countries. And if you're on this forum, you,re hearing just as much about Dutch and
Belgian riders as any English-speaking riders, so why wouldn't you favor them just as much?

There's more to the media than Cycling News. There's Eurosport, national TV broadcasters, magazines, team websites, team videos, twitter, podcasts, blogs, etc, etc.

It's far from the only reason for liking a rider, but it is a reason.

Mambo95 said:
There's more to the media than Cycling News. There's Eurosport, national TV broadcasters, magazines, team websites, team videos, twitter, podcasts, blogs, etc, etc.

My initial response was to a US poster who made the comment "great to see English-speaking riders winning" and he or she would be in the same position I am, wherein most of our cycling info comes from the web, not national or local media, and as such there is just as much info available about, let's say Italian riders as there is about British or Australian ones.

I'm not at all surprised that people would have a nationalistic bias in rooting for particular riders, but I just don't fathom the same-language bias. Guess I'm just not a deep enough thinker!

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
Eh. WTF goodness or difference does that make to a bike race:( There is a depressing cloud starting to envelope this forum.

Yeah my spider sense went off at that comment as well.

Good for tiresome nationalistic cycling fans, yes. Good for the anglo cycling media that they consume, yes. Then again, just try and get Harmon to stop talking about Wiggins even if he loses 5' on the first climb of a race.

Good for cycllng, no.

If it's about money, no doubt that poster will applaud the puffing up of the Tour of Beijing to WT, etc. as well.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
He was using them back in 2009, at least:

2009_Tour_Bradley_Wiggins_TT_web.jpg

Bobby Julich used them. He's still with Sky? His influence perhaps?

The rings Wiggins is using look more elliptical than any I've ever seen. They date back more than 20 years and where first introduced by Shimano on mountain bikes. The knock against them on the road then was having to adjust back to normal rings for regular road races. I did witness some use even there.

They never caught on due to bad press about them having no real advantage.

Wiggins has certainly made them work for him.

Great duel between he and Westra on the PN final.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sciatic said:
My initial response was to a US poster who made the comment "great to see English-speaking riders winning" and he or she would be in the same position I am, wherein most of our cycling info comes from the web, not national or local media, and as such there is just as much info available about, let's say Italian riders as there is about British or Australian ones.

I'm not at all surprised that people would have a nationalistic bias in rooting for particular riders, but I just don't fathom the same-language bias. Guess I'm just not a deep enough thinker!

Don't you mean "US Postal" ;)

But seriously, I think you've got it right.

Mambo95 said:

The more 'I get to know' some riders the less I like them. Brad saying he only has one big race left to win made me cringe.

I do like seeing British riders win, with me being British and all, but rider style is more motivating in who I like to see win.

BillytheKid said:
Bobby Julich used them. He's still with Sky? His influence perhaps?

The rings Wiggins is using look more elliptical than any I've ever seen. They date back more than 20 years and where first introduced by Shimano on mountain bikes. The knock against them on the road then was having to adjust back to normal rings for regular road races. I did witness some use even there.

They never caught on due to bad press about them having no real advantage.

Wiggins has certainly made them work for him.

Great duel between he and Westra on the PN final.

Froome was asked about it once and said they couldn't talk about it because they were not sponsors equipment, but that it made a massive difference.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:

Plus you don't get all the stuff we get. Cyclists on national TV shows, in depth interviews with cyclists(something I haven't seen translated here), etc

uphillstruggle said:
The more 'I get to know' some riders the less I like them. Brad saying he only has one big race left to win made me cringe.

I do like seeing British riders win, with me being British and all, but rider style is more motivating in who I like to see win.

This!!! 1 race left to win???? Yikes :(

The downside of being an english speaker is understanding when Wiggo speaks LOL.

As an english speaker from the USA with very limited comprehension of any other language except a bit of spoken French it is frustrating at times. We get crap coverage or no coverage and when a cyclist is interviewed most of the time I have no idea what they said....have to rely on misquoted translations. So it's easy to see why some people would favor english speakers. I on the other hand gravitate to cyclists whose racing I admire! JRod, Alberto, Phil, Spartacus, Sagan, Valverde and I have a fond spot for Nibali. Alas when they are interviewed I'm clueless :(

Levi, Wiggo, Cav, etc I understand perfectly and most time find them boring or irritating LOL! Maybe if I could understand the others I wouldn't like them so much either :D

Chapeau Wiggo, great ride...but I'm still not a fan.....