• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice 2021, March 7 - March 14

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mader had too less time to play with. he should have been caught a lot earlier.
As far as Roglic goes, his team worked a lot for him. So he wanted to win. It would be cruel to gift someone else's work to another person. But if he and his team had thought through( in about a minute), it would be greater value to be magnanimous( 1 in ~50 wins vs the publicity of rising above petty goals). The only thing that Roglic would be accused of is shortsightedness.

Reactions: cellardoor
And you think Mader would be grateful to Roglic if Primoz only sat in the bunch? He would thought he was strong enough to hold on, and wouldn't even know he got a gift! And what did he do to deserve this gift? Tiralongo was an ex-teammate and friend of Contador, Szmyd worked with Valverde 10km's up Ventoux , and what Mader did for Roglic?

Exactly - Gifts happen when you work with a rival - For example, if Mader had jumped with Roglic ( who is seeking time on GC ) then you deliver a gift.

Far too many 'romantics' following the sport. It's all about winning - that is their job, what they get paid for; winning!! I actually think there's nothing worse in sport than being 'gifted' wins - I can recall Berger winning the Japanese GP in 1991, as a 'thank you' off Senna....it's not really a win.
not only that, if I remember correctly ferrari was punished cause Schumacher gifted victory to Barrichello on the finish line

Reactions: Sandisfan
Exactly - Gifts happen when you work with a rival - For example, if Mader had jumped with Roglic ( who is seeking time on GC ) then you deliver a gift.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the deals are being negotiated from the team cars without involvement from the riders. In this situation Bahrain could have offered to help Jumbo during some other race, if Roglic didn't attack, although there was probably not enough time to do something like that. Now I'm not suggesting that Bahrain should have done it either. But although I'm not sure how common it is these days, it's definitely something that has occurred through history.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the deals are being negotiated from the team cars without involvement from the riders. In this situation Bahrain could have offered to help Jumbo during some other race, if Roglic didn't attack, although there was probably not enough time to do something like that. Now I'm not suggesting that Bahrain should have done it either. But although I'm not sure how common it is these days, it's definitely something that has occurred through history.

Absolutely this has happened in the past and will still happen in the future - The misplaced anger at Roglic is because some don't understand the nuances of cycling - Multiple teams including Bike Exchange, Cofidis, Astana etc rode to protect their GC aspirations, while of course their were two or three riders who were close on GC - Jumbo were backseat passengers, except for a period of one or two km's on the final climb.

TRENDING THREADS