• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Nice 2021, March 7 - March 14

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As much as I think crashes and mechanicals are part of cycling and waiting is silly - even as a Schleck fan, I wasn’t mad at Contador - you can hardly tell stories about this win to your grandchildren. He beat a weak field by taking advantage of a fallen rider when he wasn’t even the strongest rider. I don’t have an issue with not waiting as I said, but it is an important part of the story.

Whomever wins Tirreno Adriatico this week has a far more impressive week.

IMO the Schleck/Contador thing was different, that was a stage where an actual difference could be made. Nobody was going to drop Roglic or anyone in the top 10 on this course today. The whole friggin GC group once waited for Froome on the final climb of the queen stage of the TDF once for gods sake.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
One thing I don't quite understand, how do Bennet and Kruijswijk get burned off on a 90km stage with 20km to go?

Same thing happened in the Vuelta last October when there was a rain jacket incident which caused Roglic to breach a gap by himself.

schachmann said in interview he had to make a big effort to get back, so what now?

Schachmann was 80 km out, no one deliberately pulled to drop him (until proven otherwise, that's just idle fantastical speculation) & the race was (as is always the case) chaotic at such a point until a breakaway group is formed.

Meanwhile when the yellow jersey falls & the peloton pulls to drop him... yeah, no comment required. To do so for a little warm-up race like Paris-Nice is also pretty "interesting" as well. Jumbo won't forget this one, neither will Roglic.

And we all know what happens when something bad happens to him, i.e. he comes back stronger. This will be no different.

Same thing happened in the Vuelta last October when there was a rain jacket incident which caused Roglic to breach a gap by himself.

Schachmann was 80 km out, no one deliberately pulled to drop him (until proven otherwise, that's just idle fantastical speculation) & the race was (as is always the case) chaotic at such a point until a breakaway group is formed.

Meanwhile when the yellow jersey falls & the peloton pulls to drop him... yeah, no comment required. To do so for a little warm-up race like Paris-Nice is also pretty "interesting" as well. Jumbo won't forget this one, neither will Roglic.

And we all know what happens when something bad happens to him, i.e. he comes back stronger. This will be no different.

They should though, otherwise the circle will just continue.

They should though, otherwise the circle will just continue.

There wasn't a "circle" until a few hours ago, so...

i.e. what had Roglic done to Bora other than repeatedly beat their leader on the road? Do Bora care so much about the feelings of a Swiss rider on the Bahrain team? Did they use that incident to believe the end justifies the means?

Because if winning a race is now just a matter of the yellow jersey falling off his bike & the peloton dropping him, that sets a very, very alarming precedent IMO. I certainly cannot ever remember such an incident.

appart from the over the top drama you are writing here, why are you conveniently leaving out the fact the peloton waited for him when he crashed the first time?

and what does that mean "Jumbo wont forget this one"...like what are they gonna do? they are already winning races, they already compete for GTs

or they gonna stop talking to Bora,Astana and Cofidis like quickstep fellows to groenewegen? :D that will show them

To me the real question is why did Roglic not have any team-mates left to help him? It seems to me some of Roglic's bad luck or the consequences can be attributed to not-so-great tactical stuff from Jumbo. The more I see, the more I'm not convinced by them. Also, Roglic did not have the strongest support here... because they try to give everyone of their amazing team their own chances these days. That's a good thing for the atmosphere in the team, but it can have consequences.

To me the real question is why did Roglic not have any team-mates left to help him? It seems to me some of Roglic's bad luck or the consequences can be attributed to not-so-great tactical stuff from Jumbo. The more I see, the more I'm not convinced by them. Also, Roglic did not have the strongest support here... because they try to give everyone of their amazing team their own chances these days. That's a good thing for the atmosphere in the team, but it can have consequences.

he did,read kruiswijk interview, they were just spent in the windy valley

Every time something like this happens I find myself amazed by how many fans assume sports should be played abiding by some sort of ethical code they believe in.

Yeah, if it turned out that someone from Bora purposedly crashed Roglic the second time, then it's a different matter. Coz, honestly; not crashing your oponents on purpose should really be the only ethical code in cycling.
Nobody is obligated to give wins to rivals. However, sometimes riders do, when there has been an asgreement during the stage, which wasn't the case yesterday.
Nobody is obligated to wait for rivals. However, sometimes riders do, when the race is far from the finish, which wasn't the case today.

Every time something like this happens I find myself amazed by how many fans assume sports should be played abiding by some sort of ethical code they believe in.

Those unwritten rules existed for a reason, otherwise things will get ugly.

What I don't get is how some people are so quick to believe a peloton pulling to drop a crashed yellow jersey (on the final stage) over 25km from the line is apparently an okay new normal which wouldn't have consequences if it became the norm.

Yeah, if it turned out that someone from Bora purposedly crashed Roglic the second time, then it's a different matter. Coz, honestly; not crashing your oponents on purpose should really be the only ethical code in cycling.
Nobody is obligated to give wins to rivals. However, sometimes riders do, when there has been an asgreement during the stage, which wasn't the case yesterday.
Nobody is obligated to wait for rivals. However, sometimes riders do, when the race is far from the finish, which wasn't the case today.

one of classic examples of asgreement was 2020 Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne

Boy, did he need Tony Martin today.

Honestly, is their team so amazing? Roglic and Van Aert, sure, but their depth is definitely more shallow than last year. They only have 27 riders and a lot of them are not somebody you would think could be a captain in their own right on another team like Ineos.

And yes, I know about Kuss, Harper, Bennett, Harper, Kruijswijk, Harper, Vingegaard, Harper and Harper.

Last edited:
Honestly, is their team so amazing? Roglic and Van Aert, sure, but their depth is definitely more shallow than last year. They only have 27 riders and a lot of them are not somebody you would think could be a captain in their own right on another team like Ineos.

And yes, I know about Kuss, Harper, Bennett, Harper, Kruijswijk, Harper Vingegaard, Harper and Harper.

Well, okay, I was exaggerating. I meant van Aert and Kuss, mostly. Kuss could have helped on that mountain stage when (anyway he didn't need him) he was isolated rather early, and van Aert on a day like today.