• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2022 (03/06 - 03/13)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Was just thinking about that. These three against Alaphilippe, Pogačar, Pidcock, Colbrelli, Ewan and others... Should be fun. Is MvdP going?
I almost feel sorry for Caleb Ewan as last year he was amazing up the Poggio but even peak climbing Ewan will get shredded by the climber/Puncheurs who are in awesome form this year.

Can’t envisage any pure sprinters sniffing a top 5 in MSR this year. It might even explode on the Cipressa this year I hope.

I almost feel sorry for Caleb Ewan as last year he was amazing up the Poggio but even peak climbing Ewan will get shredded by the climber/Puncheurs who are in awesome form this year.

Can’t envisage any pure sprinters sniffing a top 5 in MSR this year. It might even explode on the Cipressa this year I hope.

They weren't on awesome form last year?

Ewan was a beast and it was against the best of the best. There's no reason to rule him out.

They weren't on awesome form last year?

Ewan was a beast and it was against the best of the best. There's no reason to rule him out.
True and chapeau to him. He rode fantastically.

Roglic and Pogacar were not there last year and nobody went before halfway up the Poggio. If the Slovenians light the rockets up after just 500 metres the gap at the top will be too big for any sprinter to be close enough to get back especially with the descending skills of Pogacar.

I was 100% certain that JV would let Roglic win this stage. They chose Laporte instead. Good move, the French cycling fans will like JV and especially Roglic and Wout for this.

Latour and Girmay were super again…

Within one week, two 1-2-3 of UAE (Laigueglia) and Jumbo (Paris-Nice).

Jumbo with Roglic, Wout, Laporte and Benoot will be super in the next weeks, until end of April. These four can do real damage. Very entertaining :)

But Jumbo needs to be strong. Their big opponent is UAE… Both teams now had a super good start to this season. They clearly worked perfectly this winter. March and April probably will be super exciting: Jumbo vs UAE, and then there is still QS. These three seem to be main protagonists from now until Liege. :)

Philipsen finished in the GC group 22 seconds behind the Jumbo Visa trio - This suggests the GC contenders were off their game.
Not sure why exactly Philipsen being there suggests that. He is more a classic type sprinter who can definitely handle a little climb like today. He finished top 10 in a stage in the Vuelta of 2020 that Roglic won which finished on a slightly longer, same gradient climb as today's with a tougher final in front of several GC riders like Carapaz, Mas, Vlasov and Valverde. He's no Kittel when it comes to climbing.

Maybe, but I doubt it affected them much on such a short effort like the Poggio. I think it was more evident later in the spring (where they were indeed completely dead and only won GW and AGR and got podiums in De Ronde, E3 and De Brapantse Pijl between them).
VdP had terrible positioning on the Poggio and Van Aert was simply very strong. The underperformer of MSR was Alaphilippe who they also waited for to make the decisive move. Ewan was unexpectedly strong.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Part of me wants to start crying about no 50km TTTs anymore

The current Jumbo team in a 50km TTT would be super scarry... Roglič, Dumoulin, Dennis, Van Aert, Vingegaard, Kruiswijk, Foss and Affini in a GT TTT. The gaps to all the others would be insane. For a realistic line-up they would probably have to stick Kuss somewhere in there. But I doubt one weak link would hinder their progress too much...

I don't often post anymore, but this was setup majestic by Jumbo-Visma. They put the bunch in the hurt locker starting about 5km before the climb. First Dennis, then Tuenisses and then van Hooydonck.
Most of this is the result of good positioning though. Just before the hill 3 DSM riders are behind Roglic and Jumbo go full gas from the bottom. The DSM riders all drop out which left a gap which Stybar who was directly behind the DSM guys quickly closes but has to pay for at the end of the hill.

It's not a suprise that van Aert and Roglic can do this after being delivered by their team so perfectly. These 2 are among those 6 special riders that dominate races currently. The fact that Laporte was still there was the most surprising that's for sure, but then again his progress can be explained by riding for possibly the wordt WT to join 1 of the best teams and having a lot better preparation compared to previous years. Still nobody every expected him to ride this good ofcourse.

If vd Poel, Poga, Phil were there they certainly would've followed. If Yates or Quintana were on the wheel of Roglic, they would've followed.

Hi Kwibus, nice to hear from you again. The only problem that I have with the results is that Laporte made it look too easy. He rode everyone off, but stayed in the front. It wasn't like he couldn't hold it anymore. He just kept motoring to the finish with the other world class riders. Other than that it would have been very easy to understand WVA and Roglic riding everyone off their wheels. I don't think anyone else could have followed except Pogacar and MVdP on the other side of the racing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hi Kwibus, nice to hear from you again. The only problem that I have with the results is that Laporte made it look too easy. He rode everyone off, but stayed in the front. It wasn't like he couldn't hold it anymore. He just kept motoring to the finish with the other world class riders. Other than that it would have been very easy to understand WVA and Roglic riding everyone off their wheels. I don't think anyone else could have followed except Pogacar and MVdP on the other side of the racing.

Laporte did plenty of suffering and skipped a few turns. One turn was 2 seconds LOL!

TRENDING THREADS