• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2022 (03/06 - 03/13)

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today's winners: (1) Simon Yates, for a brilliant and gutsy assault on the final climb and descent, (2) Wout van Aert, without whom Roglic would have lost the yellow jersey, (3) hypothermia, for doing nasty things to all the riders, some worse than others, (4) Roglic, for hanging tough on a day when he was clearly not at his best--looked to be suffering from hypothermia worse than the best riders on the day.

WVA is solely responsible for limiting his losses and deserves 90% of the credit for the win. Roglic, who I like and who I will be desperately and probably forlornly hoping can beat the baby faced android in the Tour, was a passenger. In fact passenger is being too kind, he was baggage.
That baggage didnt ship 40 minutes in the last 3 days

GC
Clipboard.jpg

cold day on col'deze

That baggage didnt ship 40 minutes in the last 3 days

40 minutes? Maybe not. But he’d have shipped a lot more than 40 seconds today if WVA hadn’t buckled him into a child’s seat on the back of his bike.

I like Roglic. I’m happy to see him actually win when a last day collapse seems to be looming. But we all know that mano a mano he was dead meat and I don’t see any reason to pretend otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
When it is cold people forget how important it is to feed. I think I have seen a lot more riders bonking in the cold than in the hot weather. It is a recipe for disaster.

I couldn't believe my ears when the Danish commentators slammed the Yates brothers for wearing a dickie, because it apparently isn't within the unwritten rules of coolness on the bike.

That is an absolutely mandatory piece of clothing when I venture out in the cold for a ride or a run.

The kid thrives more in these temperatures than the goat bearded compatriot. We better hope for a hot and dry July.
For sure, and Jumbo most likely has the two best riders outside of Pogacar, so its not impossible at all, but man. I definitely think that 2020 Tour is gonna haunt him, and I feel his a bit weaker than that year, while Pogacar is (I assume) in absolute peak shape. Hard to believe he will be much stronger than this.

In case anyone was wondering just how many left during the race, here's a quick list (under a spoiler-tag, coz... it's quite long):

DNFClément ChampoussinAG2R Citroën Team
DNFStan DewulfAG2R Citroën Team
DNFOliver NaesenAG2R Citroën Team
DNFBen O'ConnorAG2R Citroën Team
DNFJasper PhilipsenAlpecin-Fenix
DNFJonas RickaertAlpecin-Fenix
DNFKristian SbaragliAlpecin-Fenix
DNFJay VineAlpecin-Fenix
DNFSamuele BattistellaAstana Qazaqstan Team
DNFStefan de BodAstana Qazaqstan Team
DNFYevgeniy FedorovAstana Qazaqstan Team
DNFDmitriy GruzdevAstana Qazaqstan Team