• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2024, March 3-10

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
While it's true that Tirreno-Adriatico was more about Sanremo prep for the longest time, and to this day I still associate it more with the Muri of the Marches than as a mini-GT stage race and think of editions like 2009 and 2010 as the ideal of what the race should be, they did have a San Giacomo MTF in 2007.
In addition to that, T-A had mtf´s to Monte Livata in 1975 and 1976, and to San Giacomo in 1977 and 1978.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For me is as cat 2 finish.
It's 7.3k at 7.2%. Let's look at comparable MTFs in recent Tours, shall we?

In descending order of difficulty:
Peyragudes (2022) - 8.1k at 7.2%, cat. 1
Saint-Gervais Le Bettex (2023) - 7.7k at 7.0%, cat. 1
Orcières-Merlette (2020) - 7.1k at 6.7%, cat. 1
Pra Loup (2015) - 6.3k at 6.2%, cat. 2

Granted, it's not a hard cat. 1, but it would almost certainly have been a cat. 1 had this been the Tour given that the easier climb to Orcières was one too.

It's 7.3k at 7.2%. Let's look at comparable MTFs in recent Tours, shall we?

In descending order of difficulty:
Peyragudes (2022) - 8.1k at 7.2%, cat. 1
Saint-Gervais Le Bettex (2023) - 7.7k at 7.0%, cat. 1
Orcières-Merlette (2020) - 7.1k at 6.7%, cat. 1
Pra Loup (2015) - 6.3k at 6.2%, cat. 2

Granted, it's not a hard cat. 1, but it would almost certainly have been a cat. 1 had this been the Tour given that the easier climb to Orcières was one too.

7.4 km at 6.9%, it's less step, looking at PCS profile.

I don't agree with ASO, i don't think those climbs should be 1 st category except for peyragudes.

It'd have been borderline a decade ago in the Tour:

Updated version including the 2014 climbs. Did adjustments on the NC-4C limit and the 2C-1C limit (now requiring 381 on the squared cotation instead of 400).
uSNlSEs.png
ASO measures Auron as 7.3 km at 7.2 %. That's a score of 378.

EDIT: While Linkinito writes 381, it looks like 361 is depicted as the threshold on the graph, so it should in fact clearly be a cat. 1.

Last edited:

7.4 km at 6.9%, it's less step, looking at PCS profile.

I don't agree with ASO, i don't think those climbs should be 1 st category except for peyragudes.
Well, it's a cat 1 finish whether you like it or not. That means that when you say there is no cat 1 finish in this race and another poster corrects you, you accept the fact that you were wrong and move on...

So the biggest rivalry in cycling (or at least on CN forum) is back! Rogla vs Bullet-man, ex ski-jumper vs ex footballer, ice vs fire. Remco will definitely want to change the TTT into an ITT and leave all other teams in the dust. As for Primoz he will likely stomp everyone when an occasion arises! Hopefully there will be some wheelsucking included, otherwise CN greatest experts will be disappointed!

So the biggest rivalry in cycling (or at least on CN forum) is back! Rogla vs Bullet-man, ex ski-jumper vs ex footballer, ice vs fire. Remco will definitely want to change the TTT into an ITT and leave all other teams in the dust. As for Primoz he will likely stomp everyone when an occasion arises! Hopefully there will be some wheelsucking included, otherwise CN greatest experts will be disappointed!
Don't worry, Vlasov will be sucking Roglic wheel plenty.

• Wow
As I said, it's not a must for Paris-Nice to have a mountain stage. I would definitely prefer if there weren't one as it completely locks the race and becomes all-important.

The same goes for Tirreno for me, I would much rather have it decided on the hilly terrain instead of just one MTF.
Yeah, the 2019 TA was a great race, and didn't have a proper MTF, just some really well designed medium mountain/ muro stages.