• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2024, March 3-10

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, of course not, but I still think it's a bit premature to judge his progression after one stage race where most things seemed to click. Martinez also looked great in Algarve for instance, and now he might be back to his usual inconsistent self. My point wasn't that Jorgenson hadn't improved, just that his transformation wasn't yet as remarkable as some made it out to be. His WT ranking last year also suffered from the fact that he crashed in Dauphiné and had to leave the Tour early due to a thigh injury.
I don't think I said anything unreasonable by describing it as a significant improvement, which Olderman apparently disagreed with. I'm not saying he went from a donkey to a racehorse but being the strongest guy in a race like PN is a big difference compared to what he was doing last year.

I don't think I said anything unreasonable by describing it as a significant improvement, which Olderman apparently disagreed with. I'm not saying he went from a donkey to a racehorse but being the strongest guy in a race like PN is a big difference compared to what he was doing last year.

I don't agree he was the strongest guy like you say, and I therefore don't see this as an significant improvement. If he had been in a break that got handed 50 seconds due to tactical circumstances in Romandie last year, he would also have won that race. I'm also not sure he would have won PN if stage 7 hadn't been altered, but we'll never know.

The way I see it, he proved last year that he both had talent across different terrain and that he was willing to work hard to reach the highest level possible, and I think those qualities matter more than him now riding for Visma.

Reactions: ManicJack
I don't agree he was the strongest guy like you say, and I therefore don't see this as an significant improvement. If he had been in a break that got handed 50 seconds due to tactical circumstances in Romandie last year, he would also have won that race. I'm also not sure he would have won PN if stage 7 hadn't been altered, but we'll never know.

The way I see it, he proved last year that he both had talent across different terrain and that he was willing to work hard to reach the highest level possible, and I think those qualities matter more than him now riding for Visma.

It's not like he got a minute and then was barely able to hold on. He wasn't dropped anywhere and was the only one able to follow Evenepoel. If he wasn't the strongest, then who was? Perhaps Evenepoel but it's not like he was clearly better.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It's not like he got a minute and then was barely able to hold on. He wasn't dropped anywhere and was the only one able to follow Evenepoel. If he wasn't the strongest, then who was? Perhaps Evenepoel but it's not like he was clearly better.

He was indeed very strong on the last stage especially, but I think the weather gave him an advantage over the more natural climbers. Also if Evenepoel had been let's say 10-15 seconds behind in GC beforehand, then the stage could possibly have played out differently.

I agree he looks stronger than last year, but I still think it's too early to talk about a significant improvement. In the Northern classics he now has the advantage of being part of a stacked team, so it can't be ruled out that he'll win of them, if he gets the opportunity to attack like he did in Omloop.

A guy who was ~30 in the World rankings last year apparently has to dominate every single race he rides to show significant improvement?
Hysterical projections abound! Again, watch the Puy de Dome stage of last year's Tour, look at his results from the last two years where he largely free-lanced and paid his own dues. Then you may understand where some suggest this was the next year of performance with a better team. The implications of some here are that JV provides extraterrestrial support. They may be organized but Matteo has his own training and nutrition program that, hopefully is now supported by his contract.
He beat Remco...sorry; that is not the only accomplishment in his career although it seems to terrify the Belgian press.

I agree wholeheartedly.
That tactical 50 second gap as well and the disaster TT penalized almost all late starters. Those two stages pretty much provided him a bonus advantage. He was fortunate that no real response came from that first breakaway but you have to give him credit for being prepared to go and work hard. Based on last year everyone should know that group would be difficult to retrieve and merited immediate response. The hubris displayed in the press with comments like "it's not over" aside; the top guys didn't make a dent in that lead that JV couldn't tactically counter.

Watching his very intelligent riding from that point on was all him and his JV teammates. He certainly wasn't an unknown from that stage to the finish so the big Ballers should have done their job. Watch the last 40km of the final stage and you can see every kind of rider skill on display. He climbed better than anyone, descended to the point others needed to work to stay on in wet conditions and handled the twisty roads without incident. My point: that is all him. JV didn't magically create those skills.

Congratulations to Remco Evenepoel for winning the stage and to Matteo Jorgenson for winning the overall.

Was a nice race to watch with a lot of in depth dynamics. Important milestone for Rogla and a big psychological push on Remco to again change his racing style to better suit his abilities. Both rider will in my opinion benefit from it, going further in the season.

Reactions: Froome
Congratulations to Remco Evenepoel for winning the stage and to Matteo Jorgenson for winning the overall.

Was a nice race to watch with a lot of in depth dynamics. Important milestone for Rogla and a big psychological push on Remco to again change his racing style to better suit his abilities. Both rider will in my opinion benefit from it, going further in the season.
@CyclistAbi prepare to be mobbed by @Froome. We thought you were dead!!

I agree he looks stronger than last year, but I still think it's too early to talk about a significant improvement. In the Northern classics he now has the advantage of being part of a stacked team, so it can't be ruled out that he'll win of them, if he gets the opportunity to attack like he did in Omloop.
He did say in an interview with Armstrong, Hincapie& Brunyeel that he is definitely stronger than last year and feels his training program is much better.
He goes in quite detail about how he works hard but is far far less fatigued during training blocks.
I thought he went out of his way to not trash Movistar but his description of the difference between the teams is startling

Reactions: Oldermanish
He did say in an interview with Armstrong, Hincapie& Brunyeel that he is definitely stronger than last year and feels his training program is much better.
He goes in quite detail about how he works hard but is far far less fatigued during training blocks.
I thought he went out of his way to not trash Movistar but his description of the difference between the teams is startling
It is and he showed it again. I haven't met him yet but he rides like a much more seasoned pro. PN wasn't a fluke; he is on form and saved JV's race today. He's already earned this year's salary IMO.

Latest posts