• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice 2024, March 3-10

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Still impressive to me how much Evenepoel improved his sprint. Can't be that long ago it was considered a bit of a joke?
It was always a bit of a mystery why he couldn't sprint, he has the build for it. I think it was more inexperience than inability.

McNulty looks both tired and bewildered to still be on top of the podium
I think he still has the jersey because Jorgenson didn't want it. The Belgian commentators were fuming, "why isn't he pulling! The DSes should tell him to get to the front!" Guys, wasn't it obvious? In this race having the leader's jersey isn't exactly an advantage.

Reactions: postmanhat
I would wish ASO skipped these 15 km, 6 % MTFs in Paris-Nice and rather prioritized shorter and steeper climbs. Climbs like Utelle are so underwhelming.

These climbs are fine. Decent gaps in the field were created due to the tempo grinder.

Van De Velde is an IDIOT for thinking the way to gain time on a climb like this is to change the pace. NO, it is to set a tempo and wear down your opponents, just like what happened today with McNulty

But after watching today I’m not sure they can set a pace high enough. His team is lacking at the moment.
He needs a mano-a-mano with the other favourites. If Evenepoel is good, he can keep attacking, up, down and on the flat. After some time, most would just give up. The problem is when there are team mates among the favourites that can set the pace.

He needs a mano-a-mano with the other favourites. If Evenepoel is good, he can keep attacking, up, down and on the flat. After some time, most would just give up. The problem is when there are team mates among the favourites that can set the pace.
He needs a gap, but they are stuck on his wheel. Maybe he’s able to make a proper gap when it gets steeper.

I hope he goes on Cote de Peille, and doesn’t wait for Col d’Eze or Quatre Chemins

The good thing for Bora this year is with Roglic, you can send guys like Vlasov for wins and not be heavily marked. Hopefully we see more of this later in the year when the Tour comes around.
That was very well executed today—they of course it helped that Vlasov has good legs. Would love to see something like this in the Tour, with either Vlasov or Hindley (who also looked good today) on the attack.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think he still has the jersey because Jorgenson didn't want it. The Belgian commentators were fuming, "why isn't he pulling! The DSes should tell him to get to the front!" Guys, wasn't it obvious? In this race having the leader's jersey isn't exactly an advantage.
I disagree. If Jorgensen would have pulled and made sure he was leader, he wouldn't have had to deal with McNulty anymore. Now, he needs to lose McNulty and has to make sure no others that are close in GC break away. Besides, it would probably be QS that will try to pull the peloton after a while, so the weight wouldn't really be on Jorgensen's team.