• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice: Stage 2 - Contres - Limoges 201 km

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
More importantly, what is the weather forecast?

I would expect to see attacks on the final cat 3, possibly David Millar or Jens Voigt taking a shot at yellow, or maybe Gilbert having another go.

Jamsque said:

I would expect to see attacks on the final cat 3, possibly David Millar or Jens Voigt taking a shot at yellow, or maybe Gilbert having another go.

I saw earlier that snow is expected at some point on the route. So it's safe to say cold.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
There was a bit of snow in Belgium today and it's snowing in Spain atm if I am to believe twittering cyclists, so I think it's safe to assume the country in between Belgium and Spain isn't feeling too tropical.

Jamsque said:

If LuLu Sanchez has the uphill kick he had last year none of those guys are going to be able to stay with him.

I'm interested to see how Kreuziger goes on the climbs.

If AC has a charley-horse in his quadricept after that crash he should and probably will abandon.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Ummmmm..... Greipel?

Surely Columbia won't let themselves get ****ed by Caisse like they did today again? Boom should be able to hang on to the yellow.

Sanchez and Valverde...could be a good opportunity.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
If LuLu Sanchez has the uphill kick he had last year none of those guys are going to be able to stay with him.

If AC has a charley-horse in his quadricept after that crash he should and probably will abandon.

I don't think those climbs are nearly long or steep enough for guys like LuLu to come to the fore.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I predict havoc and mayhem, hopefully without injury. If Contador starts, he and Caisse could mix things up near the end. But mostly I just think it will be action packed, especially if Jens Voigt is up front convincing guys to take turns whether they want to or not:cool:

BikeCentric said:

It's more like a deep thigh bruise. Depending on how the treatment goes, he should be fine (ice and heat throughout the night and prior to the start of the race). It will be a bit sore, but he should make it through the next stage.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
It's more like a deep thigh bruise. Depending on how the treatment goes, he should be fine (ice and heat throughout the night and prior to the start of the race). It will be a bit sore, but he should make it through the next stage.

If he does start i imagine Caisse and saxo are really going to put the pressure on and try and hurt him.

dimspace said:
If he does start i imagine Caisse and saxo are really going to put the pressure on and try and hurt him.

It's not that type of injury such that ramping things up will hurt him. It will actually help speed the recovery. He has a pool of blood under his skin, which, as it solidifies, becomes stiffer without proper treatment. If he doesn't use it, it will be stiff until the blood starts to dissipate. Ice and heat, will speed the process, as will continued use.

When I played (American) football, it was a tough injury because of the impact nature of running and American football. I use to warm up on the exercise bike to help get it loose.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
It's not that type of injury such that ramping things up will hurt him. It will actually help speed the recovery. He has a pool of blood under his skin, which, as it solidifies, becomes stiffer without proper treatment. If he doesn't use it, it will be stiff until the blood starts to dissipate. Ice and heat, will speed the process, as will continued use.

When I played (American) football, it was a tough injury because of the impact nature of running and American football. I use to warm up on the exercise bike to help get it loose.

Did the same kind of thing playing basketball.

As for Stage 2, I expect a breakaway to survive, but if it's more of a crosswind, we'll see another shattered peloton.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Results breed more results.... the sprinters will get over the climb and therefore I'm sticking with Henderson.

Hendy has been looking good but if the bunch comes to the finish together I think Andre Greipel has to be the man to beat.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Haussler is probably a good bet for tomorrow as well, as he's a lot better than the pure sprinters when it gets hilly.

Haussler hit the deck in the same crash as Contador and looked shaken up, but if he's not too hurt I agree he should be in the mix.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Haussler is probably a good bet for tomorrow as well, as he's a lot better than the pure sprinters when it gets hilly.

Good call.

By the way, does anybody know exactly what happened to his start in the prologue? Why was he late?

BikeCentric said:

Haha

The climbs of tomorrow are not nearly enough for anyone to get away, or more importantly, stay away.
Tomorrow is a sprint stage or maybe a long breakaway, although I doubt Rabobank would allow it. They want to keep the jersey till the Mende stage and then it's up for grabs for Valverde/Contador/Sanchez/Kreuziger and co.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Haha

The climbs of tomorrow are not nearly enough for anyone to get away, or more importantly, stay away.
Tomorrow is a sprint stage or maybe a long breakaway, although I doubt Rabobank would allow it. They want to keep the jersey till the Mende stage and then it's up for grabs for Valverde/Contador/Sanchez/Kreuziger and co.

Exactly my toughts. Tomorrow probably a large group sprinting for victory. I wonder what Boom will do in Mende.

TRENDING THREADS