• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team. Thanks!

Paris-Nice: Stage 2 - Contres - Limoges 201 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So will that mean the peloton will split up?

There's certainly a chance. The wind should be more behind them for the first two-thirds of the stage, but there is a very interesting 13km stretch from Le Dorat to the top of the 3rd category Cote de Maison Neuve, just under 50km from the finish, that is more or less perpendicular to the expected wind direction.
 
Very disappointing lack of effort by Columbia yesterday (Greipel had plenty more to give but coasted to the line). I do think he's almost as superior to these sprinters as, say, Cavendish was to his rivals at last year's Tour de France and Columbia will bounce back today.

I give a breakaway about a 10% chance of success (can't be more than that with Rabobank and Columbia and possibly others likely to chase) about a 10% chance of a splintered peleton with cross winds, and about an 80% chance of a bunch sprint finish. If it's a bunch sprint I reckon Greipel would win at least half of the time, making him, in my estimation a 40% chance of winning the stage.

So I'm content to have backed him at $2.75 (or 7/4 in other betting parlance).
 
Feb 18, 2010
882
0
0
Visit site
The Barb said:
Very disappointing lack of effort by Columbia yesterday (Greipel had plenty more to give but coasted to the line). I do think he's almost as superior to these sprinters as, say, Cavendish was to his rivals at last year's Tour de France and Columbia will bounce back today.

They had Tony Martin up there, while quite a few GC contenders were in the peloton. Hauling back the break for Greipel meant putting Martin at a disadvantage. They chose Martin over Greipel yesterday. It ain't rocket science.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
They had Tony Martin up there, while quite a few GC contenders were in the peloton. Hauling back the break for Greipel meant putting Martin at a disadvantage. They chose Martin over Greipel yesterday. It ain't rocket science.

Was just writing the same thing when I saw your comment!
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I went back and had a look at AC's & HH's crash - it was outside the 3km to go. In the coverage you can see the break pass the 3k sign at the side of the road and then it cuts back to AC & HH on the deck and about 100 meters in the distance is the same sign.

One of the articles I read said that the leader of that group was within the 3 KM limit at the time of the crash, and that's why the race officials ruled as they did. I don't know if that was to help Haussler. I guess that would explain how Strangelj got the same time after waiting with Alberto's bike & the broke wheel.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
Usually in the last couple of editions of Paris - Nice the stages tend to be hit by crap weather and the strong cross winds break the peloton into pieces. Think of last year when Chavanel won his stage last year and Contador was jumping from groupetto to groupetto after his team mates cracked.
 
craig1985 said:
So will that mean the peloton will split up?
Depends on the route.

The small course map suggests that a couple of sections towards the end may get a direct xwind, but, then again, these might be in the lee of a hill.
I guess we'll find out, if the hammer goes down, again.
With the forecast wind strengths, if it's possible, someone will try.
Could end up like last year's second road stage.
http://meteo.region-nord.com/meteo-87085.html
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
zapata said:
Haven't heard specifically, but the only Dns mentioned by procyclinglive was napolitano and ponzi.

thanks. i went looking for the answer too and it appears berto started.

astana team manager yvon sanquer this morning after breakfast: "I saw Alberto this morning at breakfast and he doesn’t feel too bad."
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Visit site
87k to go. the peloton just started the climbing part of the stage. the gap, currently at under 3 min, will likely fall quickly now.
 

TRENDING THREADS