• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Nice Stage 7: Nice-Nice

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Cancellara does this. It's a show of strength. Andy Schleck does it also. What are you talking about? About to bonk? What every time somebody in a race drops back they're gonna bonk? You know nothing about bike racing.

Repeatedly dropping back and catching back up wastes energy. Doing this too much can lead to a bonk. Not everytime, but it's a sign. I've watched it happen in mountain bike races, crits, amatuer road races, and pro road races. Hell, I've dropped others and had it happen to me.

Maybe AC wasn't anywhere near a bonk when he dropped back, but it's something I noticed, especially since he spent much of the prior climb controlling the pace.

Publicus said:
I wouldn't read too much into what happened at Paris-Nice. Astana's squad was not the one they originally expected to field. They were scheduled to bring two more climbers: De la Fuente and Hernandez, both of which were scratched because of knee injuries. Grivko (sp) and Gurov were tipped to start in their place. Grivko did a decent job, but I think the squad would have been better served with another climber (unfortunately the only other climbing domestiques were at Murcia (Jufre, Tiralongo)).

In light of the less than desirable mix of climbers and engines, Astana did pretty well. I think we got a small sample of what they may do if he gets yellow early--though I would expect them to give up the jersey if it's too early. No way they can defend for two weeks. And that's not a slight on Astana. I don't think ANY team can realistically defend for two weeks.

True. I'm sure they wouldn't field that weak a team in the Tour.

ImmaculateKadence said:
The Paris-Nice Astana squad was weak. If they put together a team like that for the Tour, every mountain stage will feature AC against probably two or more riders from Saxo, RS, Caisse, and Liquigas. He can't win the Tour that way.

What is the likelihood of them fielding the same team or one like that? Quite slim unless a rash injuries or illnesses runs through the team. You can expect to see Iglinsky, Gasparotto, and Vino on that Tour squad along which will upgrade the performance level.

flicker said:
I have intuition of calamity for Alberto before or during Tour. I pray no but something tells me the cards are not in his favor. I pray this not true.

In the case of no Alberto I do not know who has the correct sensations in legs.

Something gives me this feeling. Hopefully not crash.

I think it is more likely a deep seeded hope in your case which you're confusing with intuition. Unless you are some form of soothsayer, Nostradamus in your spare time this is just you wishing the worst on a rider that you're indifferent about.:(

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
What is the likelihood of them fielding the same team or one like that? Quite slim unless a rash injuries or illnesses runs through the team. You can expect to see Iglinsky, Gasparotto, and Vino on that Tour squad along which will upgrade the performance level.

Oh I know. By the way, what's up with Vino? How does he look so far? I haven't been paying much attention to him :eek:

craig1985 said:
IIRC, Contador is doing Catalunya (Armstrong was going to race, then found out AC was riding, so he backed/chickened out), Pays Basque, maybe the Fleche or LBL, the Dauphine.

Thanks for the info.

I would like to see him at Fleche and L-B-L. The Ardennes Classics are two of my favorite races, and they seem to suit his style of riding.

Angliru said:

The weak team talk is a waste of time. In 2009 Contador won even when his entire was riding against him. Contador won't have any problems this time around. At least he won't be attacked by his own team.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
peacefultribe said:
It is bizarre to me that Paul and Phil have become what they are today. It's like a nightmare, where you hope to wake up and hear the old Paul and Phil say something clever and unbiased. I wish there was a way to make it stop. It's almost as if they're playing some kind of sick joke on Americans. As an American, I feel deeply disturbed that this is happening, and that some people in this country aren't intelligent enough to see reality.

I blame it on penguins. Ever since they got away with telling people about the penguin colonies on the coast of Brittany they have considered facts to be extraneous. Penguins in the north Atlantic indeed!:confused:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
The weak team talk is a waste of time. In 2009 Contador won even when his entire was riding against him. Contador won't have any problems this time around. At least he won't be attacked by his own team.

Earlier you said this referring to Lance:
I think if their were more mountain top finishes last year and Contador rode on another team he wouldn't have finished top 10. No chance

So Contador's presence helped Lance in the GC, but the entire Astana team rode against AC?:confused:

He won't have any problems? Considering the field expected to start the 2010 Tour, this potentially could be the most difficult GT he's ever raced.

And when did Astana "attack?"

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Check out the photos from the podium.

Is LL Sanchez's chin even more aero than ever?

pic94208572_600.jpg

ImmaculateKadence said:
Maybe the best defense is a good offense...or something like that. It looked like he was just wearing himself down.

There were a couple moments when it looked like he would drop back a length or two and had to waste energy catching back up. That's something I look for when racing: if somebody behind me drops back then comes out of the saddle to catch up only to drop back again, he's about to bonk, and I pick it up. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I perceived, but it's something I couldn't help noticing.

They looked like they were just behind Katusha. If they had attacked, by the time AC got free to follow, I don't think he would have caught them. He certainly wouldn't catch the Schlecks in that situation.

If he's forced to defend the Maillot Jaune, they way he had to defend in Paris-Nice, I wonder how many days he can hold on. Like you said before, it comes down to tactics. He may have to take it on the last mountain stage (stage 17 Col du Tourmalet). If that's the case, he could defend on the subsequent flat stage and ITT.

I didnt see the stage yesterday but finally say the highlights today, last climb on. There was a lot of potential dangerous situations but Contador handled then well I think. I laughed at the Eurosport commentator saying Berti was doing the wrong thing for the time bonus sprint but then said he would eat all his notes when he took the bonus, egg on face moment.

A few points

It was a short stage, the type you dont get in the Tour.

It was the final day so everybody was giving it their all.

It could be argued that there was one 4km clime in the entire P-N race that decided the whole race.

There was a load of guys still in with possibilities of taking victory or moving up on GC. Its a week long race so this is only natural. If there had been a 16km climb somewhere, how many guys would have still been in contention.

In summary, Paris-Nice will be nothing like the Tour, look at some of the guys who were still in contention. You really think guys like Voigt, Rodriguez, Taarame will be that close at the Tour.

Completely different races, completely different situations, completely different tactics.

Dont get me wrong, we all would love to see a Tour raced like Paris-Nice, for those lucky enough to have witnessed the 89 Tour, the last day of Paris-Nice is a reminder. Still not going to happen though.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

not against, only not for. They never attacked him. It could be argued they dragged rivals closer, but those rivals finished further back than 3rd.

EDIT: that break on 3...possibly