• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2021 (03.10)

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MVDP was strong, but Sonny was smart. No way he should have taken any pull after seeing that acceleration from Sonny in the carrefour de l'arbre.
Suck his wheel as he did suck Remco's in EC.
Incredible performance from Vermeersch as well, on the front all day long.

Overall the race was very interesting to watch, way less falls than what we could have expected. Why on earth did the big teams (DQST, Jumbo, Alpecin) let such a big group with top names take almost 3 minutes is beyong my understanding. Ok you have riders from your team in it, but don't let good riders freewheeling 3min in front of you.

9/10.

What an epic!

First I want to give credit to Moscon. IMO he had what it takes to win this race, maintaining his lead even on very difficult sections (like Mons en Pevele). A defect and a fall changed his fate, terrible luck. It was impressive that he was still keeping his lead afterwards but it may have costed him a medal (joining the chasers earlier would have enabled him to rest a bit).

The decisive moments of the race were very far away when Colbrelli (90 km to go) and then Van der Poel (70 km to go) attacked from the favourites group and joined the second breakaway group. Soon they built about a minute over Van Aert and QS guys, which proved to be decisive and excluded the rest of favourites from the fight for victory. VdP made some big efforts and was leading his group most but after elimination of many breakaway guys at the end he couldn't drop two guys: Colbrelli and Vermeersch. On Carrefour de l'Arbre they caught and passed unlucky Moscon and Corbrelli set a very strong pace - then I knew VdP had a problem as the Italian was still very strong and ready to sprint for victory. The rest is history. Muddy faces of the top guys, legendary celebration by the Italian and devastated lying VdP.

I'll check the news tomorrow to make sure nobody ended in a hospital (in case of the winner I mean mental)

Not sure about that. It's a little bit like the 2004 olympic men's marathon when the Brazilian race leader was tackled by a spectator (though I personally believe in that instance that the eventual Italian winner would have still won). We'll never really know.
Yeah I must have missed his crash. I saw the puncture but when I came back his lead had dropped. I thought he must have crashed. Well that was unfortunate ................

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Thanks for the info, i.e. I still didn't know who that unfortunate face planted Cofidis rider was who went into the ditch head first. Funny fact: he'll be riding with Wout van Aert on the same team next year.

Roglic haunts the minds of Colbrelli fans, i.e. they're not just content with wins (& monuments!), no, they must prove he's a saintly super nice person as well.
Unfortunately I like Roglic quite a bit more than Colbrelli.

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh

TRENDING THREADS