• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Roubaix 2021 (03.10)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like with the women, it could be tactically a dull race with a decisive move from relatively far out. So chances are big it won’t be better than 2016, tactically.
But the mudfest will be worth watching. Like yesterday, mons en pevele and Camphin en pevele will be tricky, but there are secteurs earlier in the race that we haven’t seen yet, and could be muddy as well.

I only hope, when there are crashes, that they aren’t serious. It’s actually hard to think about it that the chances are big one of the starters will crash and break something today. In any other sport, most wouldn’t be willing to take that risk.

Reactions: Andy262
It's been raining all night here in Paris. Before that we had gusts of wind that blew our volets closed. Going to be epic conditions even if the sun comes out.
Same here, closer to Roubaix (in Flanders). Rain all night, gusts of wind, coming from south / south west. Not super cold but just very wet.
It will be nearly impossible to be in the break with the tailwind, as everybody will want to be in the front before the first cobbles. I predict splits in the peloton before even reaching the cobbles.

for one reason or another, this seems to be the most anticipated race of the year (at least for me). Luckily the worlds were last week, or I would have been filling this topic for the last 3 months.

Reactions: Jagartrott
Like Volderke, I think the race will be on from km 0. Everyone will want to be near the front, all big teams will want to have riders in the break, and the tailwind will make it super-fast and nervous. I expect crashes will split the peloton early.

That's spectacular and all, but it also makes it more of a lottery.

Reactions: Salvarani
Yes, the forecasts proved correct and it's still raining over norhtern France (it should stop during the race). Oh man, I feel it will be epic. Watching at least the last 100 km (before Arenberg starts) is a must.
Please watch the whole shebang!
I predict already crashes / a very nervous peloton / a zillion breakaway attempts, flats and mechanicals (maybe by pre-race favourites) causing even more stress / teams having to chase back with their leader in between the cars / maybe a team like DQS trying to make an echelon after 100K somewhere on a windy plateau in between the barren fields... :)

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
Like Volderke, I think the race will be on from km 0. Everyone will want to be near the front, all big teams will want to have riders in the break, and the tailwind will make it super-fast and nervous. I expect crashes will split the peloton early.

That's spectacular and all, but it also makes it more of a lottery.

Actually the wind is predicted to be western during the race so no tailwind in general. More like sidewind (on average) and multiple sections with tailwind and headwind.

Reactions: Volderke

TRENDING THREADS