• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix 2023, one day monument, April 9 (men's)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Logic says Magnus Bäckstedt suddenly appears from nowhere and takes it all.

What have you been drinking? I'm having some.

Right, I know this is the "wrong thread" - and P-R is a race that's so big that having separate threads makes sense - but I wonder if either of the Bäckstedts will be racing. Neither EF, nor Trek has published their rosters yet, AFAIK.

Roubaix is an epic race, so they should add some show.

If Lampaert wins, they should erect a table in the Velodrome, give him a butcher‘s knife, invite Dario Pieri, and together these two would slaughter, cut up and gut a pig or a cow, in front of the spectators… Roubaix is for the farmers, and Lampaert is a farmer, whereas Pieri is a hunter.

What have you been drinking? I'm having some.

Right, I know this is the "wrong thread" - and P-R is a race that's so big that having separate threads makes sense - but I wonder if either of the Bäckstedts will be racing. Neither EF, nor Trek has published their rosters yet, AFAIK.

Be sure, I'll follow the women's race from the gun (or whenever my streaming services go live) and will be cheering for Zoe and Elynor nomatter whether one, both or none appear on the start line :cool:

Edit: Today's drinking here reduced to several cups of hot tea, being down with the flu. But you animated me to spice things up, so now warned for far more awkward posts from here if I drop further posts here today!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Roubaix is an epic race, so they should add some show.

If Lampaert wins, they should erect a table in the Velodrome, give him a butcher‘s knife, invite Dario Pieri, and together these two would slaughter, cut up and gut a pig or a cow, in front of the spectators… Roubaix is for the farmers, and Lampaert is a farmer, whereas Pieri is a hunter.

Well, what have you been drinking?

Jumbo Visma have designed an ugly helmet specifically for this race for riders to wear
Will we see Van Aert copy his compatriot's gesture when he wins then?

E8mnMDTXIAQ9vSW.jpg:large

Well, what have you been drinking?

Warm up thread for this bike race calls for Kwaks, Duvels, Delirium Tremens, Verboden Vrucht, Blonde de l'Enfer or other trappists, similar to intake warming up ontop of Oude Kwaremont the past sunday. May I suggest Adrian Brouwer Oaked from Oudenaarde's Brouwerij Roman? Tastes like 3% with excellent soft flavours, but hitting you on 2nd round when realizing it's a typical local 10%'er. But damn' it's good after a day on the Flemish cobbles.

Now, that got far OT, so trying get back on track/right cobbles.

Last years wind direction:
I really don't remember. My immidiate thoughts are tailwind from van Baarles breakaway, i.e. the less prominent from SE (or too vague to play any role). That Q still calls for one with memory.

And some more thoughts:
Just catched up on the booking sites, sorting leaves a "big three" of Matthieu, Wout and Mads.
I'm not so sure about the latter. Requires much worse weather forecasts and a race raced én bloc almost from the gun. And maybe finally at least some luck (less misfortunes) in this race for him.

Head still says Matthieu over Wout, since the former seems to have improved quite on stamina on the very long hard runs. And showed much in-form last sunday. And a velodrome sprint between the two calls for MVdP in favor of WvA (opposite to a kilometres long straight avenue better suited for Wout and Mads).

But as writing my mind grows more and more on Ganna, slipping away on a long solo run. M-SR convinced his abilities on decicive moves on the very long runs.

Last edited:
**** MVP - WVA
*** Ganna - Mohoric - Van Baarle
** Asgreen - Van Marcke - Pedersen - Lampaert
* Laporte - Vermeersch - Pollit - Kung - Naesen

Dangerous if in early break: Van Keirsbulck, Lazkano
Probably missing a few other guys?

Hope for WVA win but I expect an MVP stomp on the cobbles.

edit: perhaps WVA should pay his little nieces 50 bucks to camp out at MVP's hotel room? :tonguewink:

Reactions: Sandisfan
What do we think of Bjerg as Dark Horse? Made progress this spring. It has a huge engine and a lot of content. Finished 5th on Denain after fantastic work for Molano (who won). He was 6th in Gent Wevelgem and in the RVV 15th in a group with Laporte and Cosnefroy. Bjerg who did a huge lead out. He seems to be in great shape and there aren't really any leaders in his team. He can be a dangerous customer both from the front group and from the peloton as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs Top 10 or maybe even Top 6

What do we think of Bjerg as Dark Horse? Made progress this spring. It has a huge engine and a lot of content. Finished 5th on Denain after fantastic work for Molano (who won). He was 6th in Gent Wevelgem and in the RVV 15th in a group with Laporte and Cosnefroy. Bjerg who did a huge lead out. He seems to be in great shape and there aren't really any leaders in his team. He can be a dangerous customer both from the front group and from the peloton as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs Top 10 or maybe even Top 6
Maybe the lower half of the top-10, but he is more likely not to.

Reactions: shalgo