• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris-Roubaix Femmes, 2021 - Oct. 2nd

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The juniors are not the elite male riders, just like the elite female riders are not the elite male riders. By your logic neither does the route of the elite men's race have any relevance.

You can feel whatever you want to, it's as logical as feeling that the route of the juniors is lazy and dismissive and ageist.
Comparing the elite level of the two sexes seems completely appropriate, especially when we are talking about possibly the most iconic part of the route, and this is not the first time we have seen the women’s route of what is supposed to be the same race omit parts of the course. They are the pinnacle of male and female competition. ASO made the choice to omit it. Their argument was that it would appear too early in the race. That’s very easily rectified, the can arrange women’s one days races of up to 160km (that’s 20km longer than allowable for juniors) and that extra distance could easily have been used. This wasn’t forced on ASO, they made the choice not to include it and their argument doesn’t hold up based on that scrutiny.

I'm finding @Netserk 's parallel between sexism and agism quite appropriate.
But that's only because the sexism remark's inadequate, thus making the agism reference a fitting analogy for the false argumentation.

If the girls show they can handle the course and it proves manageable in all aspects, but ASO continues avoiding Arenberg in the coming years, then I'll start complaining.
Why would ASO choose to omit the most iconic sector of pavé if it wasn’t either because they don’t think the women’s peloton can cope or they couldn’t be bothered to organise a longer route that could include it?

Reactions: Andy262
Comparing the elite level of the two sexes seems completely appropriate, especially when we are talking about possibly the most iconic part of the route, and this is not the first time we have seen the women’s route of what is supposed to be the same race omit parts of the course. They are the pinnacle of male and female competition. ASO made the choice to omit it. Their argument was that it would appear too early in the race. That’s very easily rectified, the can arrange women’s one days races of up to 160km (that’s 20km longer than allowable for juniors) and that extra distance could easily have been used. This wasn’t forced on ASO, they made the choice not to include it and their argument doesn’t hold up based on that scrutiny.

Why would ASO choose to omit the most iconic sector of pavé if it wasn’t either because they don’t think the women’s peloton can cope or they couldn’t be bothered to organise a longer route that could include it?
'Cause it's the first time they're arranging it in this shape. There's no feedback at all.
There were sectors in the men's version that waited for approval too, I'm sure.

There's a greater athletic difference between the elite men and the elite women than there is between the male juniors and elite women.

Different groups are different. Shocking. You'd almost expect different pelotons to generate different levels of revenue. Maybe that would even have an impact on the prize sizes ...

Is it not sexism to treat the elite women the same as the junior men?

As in degrading the juniors? I'm quite sure Evenepoel was faster as a junior than any woman has ever been.

Last edited:
It would be early because ASO chose to make it that way. It would arguably be much more iconic to have the Arenberg sector as the first sector in the first edition of the women’s race.
But should it ruin or skew the race in any way, would be lame to lament and exclude it in the next edition.
It's better (and safer) to keep it as an improvement option.
Better in both sporting and marketing sense.

1) It didn’t need to be the first sector, that argument was more because of the course they chose, but 2) No. we’ve seen large groups reach Arenberg plenty of times and get through fine.
Those large groups already rode 160km so there is a natural selection of those who still have the legs to battle for the first positions. And even then we have seen lots of crashes. Hardly comparable with a full peloton of fresh riders where I would expect even more chaos.

But should it ruin or skew the race in any way, would be lame to lament and exclude it in the next edition.
It's better (and safer) to keep it as an improvement option.
Better in both sporting and marketing sense.
Nah, the same argument can be made about plenty of incidents in men’s racing. We still have bunch sprints in GTs for example. The base assumption seems to be that there’s likely to be a big incident so leave it out. I think the base assumption should be there likely won’t be a big incident and including it is better than not.

Those large groups already rode 160km so there is a natural selection of those who still have the legs to battle for the first positions. Hardly comparable with a full peloton of fresh riders.
We’ve seen big groups fight to enter first, it still thins out because the riders have no choice. Unless the assumption is the women aren’t able to do that, I don’t see this as an issue, especially as the average speed entering it would likely be lower in the women’s race. The break of the day may also have been established if it were just roads and no cobbles beforehand.

Nah, the same argument can be made about plenty of incidents in men’s racing. We still have bunch sprints in GTs for example. The base assumption seems to be that there’s likely to be a big incident so leave it out. I think the base assumption should be there likely won’t be a big incident and including it is better than not.
ASO opted for "better safe than sorry".
I would too, considering there's a responsibility for the riders and business to manage.

We’ve seen big groups fight to enter first, it still thins out because the riders have no choice. Unless the assumption is the women aren’t able to do that, I don’t see this as an issue, especially as the average speed entering it would likely be lower in the women’s race. The break of the day may also have been established if it were just roads and no cobbles beforehand.
That doesn't really address my post.