• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Paris - Tours 2022: Chartres > Tours 10/09/2022 - 213,5 km

Key facts:

• The 116th edition of Paris-Tours, starting from Chartres on Sunday, will be held over 213.5 km including ten dirt paths in the vineyards in the last 67 kilometres.
• The race will be the last for Belgium’s Philippe Gilbert, who clinched his first major win on Tours’ Avenue de Grammont in 2008 and also won the last classic of the season in 2009.
• Title-holder Arnaud Démare, at the head of a strong Groupama-FDJ team hopes for history to repeat itself on a slightly modified course, with two new dirt road sectors.

Two new vineyard roads for a strong field

paristours1.jpg

Between this and the Tour de France Femmes stage earlier this year, it's very clear ASO have no idea where the line should be drawn for unpaved sectors in road races. Really dislike what this race has become, just about top of my list when it comes to races that need a rethink. Went into a bit of detail on this for the abortive Race Design Challenge:
In 2008, ASO withdrew all its races from the ProTour, including Paris-Tours, then two years later the old endless final straight of Avenue de Grammont had to be largely withdrawn following the construction of a new tram line. And when ASO (and the other GT organisers) and the UCI ended their feud to create the WorldTour in 2011, Paris-Tours... wasn't included. The race lost some of its prestige as a result, and in response ASO started to modify the route. In 2016, the race was run without its classic final hills of Côte de Beau Soleil and Côte de l'Épan to serve as a warmup for the Qatar Worlds, and following a final edition that did use this remaining part of the classic finale, the old route was ditched altogether to create a wannabe Strade Bianche over sectors so rough that punctures are everywhere, sacrificing the race's character entirely (and shortening it a bit) in exchange for a weaker field than even the few years before as the change proved unpopular with many teams. In other words, the race has lost its way, much like in the 70s and 80s when the race was run from south to north without visiting either Paris or Tours.

Of course, the old final straight cannot be brought back, but I still think the race can restore its identity and prestige if the following is done:
  1. Bring back Beau Soleil and Épan as the final two hills
  2. Ditch the gravel
  3. Return to what was the usual distance of 230-odd kilometres
  4. Restore the race to the WT
  5. Try to lengthen the finale a bit (compared to the old route, this is the one thing that isn't terrible when it comes to the current route)
In all honesty, I expect ASO to persevere with this route for a bit longer, but I could also see them pulling the plug rather than redesigning. Would be one of the biggest losses of history this sport has ever seen, but then again this iteration is a mockery of what Paris-Tours should be.

although the race is much more selective than 20 years ago, the importancy seems only dropping more and more by the year. Or is that only my impression? Once it was almost the 6th monument.

I think it lost all the status when it was removed from the WT. Today's peloton has the most WorldTeams in a long time.

15 WorldTeams will start today, last year it was 10 which was a record since the demotion of the race.

But now they cut the length, making it feel less significant. So I also think that it's not really the same race anymore. It's a much better watch though, that should count for something.

Honestly, the current course is so far removed from the more traditional layouts of 10, 20 years ago, it‘s barely the same race anymore. It also feels like an ASO gimmick race because of it.

It's a much better race for it. And deserves more participation from the types of classic riders that aren't going to trouble the podium in Il Lombardia. The only thing I don't like is shortening it.

It also used to be a week before lombardia. So maybe that had something to do with it. Gilbert won both in 2009. The day after feels a bit like an afterthought. At least in those days lombardia was more for the classics riders, than the climbers it's become, so there was more chance of some of the riders doing both.

Between this and the Tour de France Femmes stage earlier this year, it's very clear ASO have no idea where the line should be drawn for unpaved sectors in road races. Really dislike what this race has become, just about top of my list when it comes to races that need a rethink. Went into a bit of detail on this for the abortive Race Design Challenge:

In all honesty, I expect ASO to persevere with this route for a bit longer, but I could also see them pulling the plug rather than redesigning. Would be one of the biggest losses of history this sport has ever seen, but then again this iteration is a mockery of what Paris-Tours should be.

although I like normally coblle stone races and races with gravel for the fact that racing starts far before the finish, I have to admitt that I think the gravel here is to rough. The races I saw on this parcours are really all about punctures. Completely different to Tro-Bon-Leon and Strade Bianchi in which riders can have bad luck either, but not at such an high frequency.

Good to read the history of Paris-Tours decline. I remember it being in the world cup (10 most important one day races bundles together) as well in the 90's. Back then it was seen as a big victory, mentioned as riders bigget carreer win. Now it's just mentioned in the list with minor wins for riders.

Reactions: tobydawq
although the race is much more selective than 20 years ago, the importancy seems only dropping more and more by the year. Or is that only my impression? Once it was almost the 6th monument.
I think it would have lost importance naturally with the old routes as well.

Paris-Tours is not a monument, and for that specific reason, it doesn't have status on it's own that is too big to fail. As a result, it needs to fit into the season in a way that makes sense for top riders to target it. Instead, it is all alone. GW, E3, Omloop, all those races fit neatly into a buildup for RVV and Roubaix. Amstel and Fleche fit nicely before LBL. Italian fall classics get good fields because of Lombardia.

Paris-Tours has nothing like that. It was always destined to fall off in relevance due to not being a monument and its place on the calendar.

My suggestions for this race:

1. Don't bring back the old course. It would just be a bunch sprint most of the time.

2. Stop calling it Paris-Tours. If it starts in Chartres it should be called Chartres-Tours, or "La Boueuse" or something (="the muddy one").

3. Keep the unpaved roads. Try to make it a kind of French Strade Bianche. Since the corona editions of Flanders and Roubaix we know how exciting a flat autumn classic can be.

4. Get it into the World Tour. That would attract a much stronger field.

But now they cut the length, making it feel less significant. So I also think that it's not really the same race anymore. It's a much better watch though, that should count for something.

since the route change in 2011 there has hardly been a bad edition - and most were actually great to watch. Don't think it really needed the gravel parts for a better watching experience.

They don't hurt, of course, but completely changed the character of the race. Don't think that was necessary

since the route change in 2011 there has hardly been a bad edition - and most were actually great to watch. Don't think it really needed the gravel parts for a better watching experience.

They don't hurt, of course, but completely changed the character of the race. Don't think that was necessary

It wasn't in 2011 they changed it to include gravel. That was much later.

I think it would have lost importance naturally with the old routes as well.

Paris-Tours is not a monument, and for that specific reason, it doesn't have status on it's own that is too big to fail. As a result, it needs to fit into the season in a way that makes sense for top riders to target it. Instead, it is all alone. GW, E3, Omloop, all those races fit neatly into a buildup for RVV and Roubaix. Amstel and Fleche fit nicely before LBL. Italian fall classics get good fields because of Lombardia.

Paris-Tours has nothing like that. It was always destined to fall off in relevance due to not being a monument and its place on the calendar.
Makes sense.
Although I personally like it exactly because of its seclusion... league of its own.

My suggestions for this race:

1. Don't bring back the old course. It would just be a bunch sprint most of the time.

Cycling is all about history and traditions. Period.

Must say my heart broke when they added the gravel-part. Mark this is written by a s*cker for gravels.
And cutting more than 40km of the distance in addition to significantly changed route design also makes it a completely different race.
It's not Paris-Tours then, but a severe insult to cycling history in order to obey for 5 sec TikTok preteens and senseless UCI rules.
And I do not like that.

For several decades Paris-Tour have been regarded as "the sprinters' monument".
Bring traditions home, please.

2. Stop calling it Paris-Tours. If it starts in Chartres it should be called Chartres-Tours, or "La Boueuse" or something (="the muddy one").
Fine with me. Now it's a totally different race anyway, served for TikTokkers, so why not?

It's another case with the Compiègne - Roubaïx Velodrôme one. Of which felt a bit soulless finishing outside the velodrome for a couple of years in the mid 80ies. But again, PreWWII posters here might grumble that the velodrome is a new post WWII thing.

And then I'm really devided about De Ronde. Some years in grief after the route changing.
But now I like the replacement of 'Round of Flanders' to 'Round and round and round in Flanders'.
Still it's a good race and not so much a reluctant race as the Limburg Semiclassic one (of which too faded, also due to senceless UCI category rules and crusial 'races to the UCI points').

3. Keep the unpaved roads. Try to make it a kind of French Strade Bianche. Since the corona editions of Flanders and Roubaix we know how exciting a flat autumn classic can be.

Fine with me if your want to create a totally different race.
"Les Routes Blanches" sounds fine with me. And I'll watch it vividly.
But do not ever relate it to Paris-Tours.

4. Get it into the World Tour. That would attract a much stronger field.

I second that.
And, again please bring traditions home.

Getting slightly sick of everything needed to 'be spiced up', just to be able to compete with 5mins YT vids or 5secs TikTok ditto.
It is the prolonged enjoyment with the whir of the story that should count.
Meanwhile, send the impatient kids out to play with a ball.

I hope my position does not seem too vague :)

Last edited:
Cycling is all about history and traditions. Period.

Must say my heart broke when they added the gravel-par. Mark this is written by a s*ucker for gravels.
And cutting more than 40km of the distance in addition to significantly changed route design also makes it a completely different race.
It's not Paris-Tours then, but a severe insult to cycling history in order to obey for 5 sec TikTok preteens and senseless UCI rules.
And I do not like that.

For several decades Paris-Tour have been regarded as "the sprinters' monument".
Bring traditions home, please.

Fine with me. Now it's a totally different race anyway, served for TikTokkers, so why not?

It's another case with the Compiègne - Roubaïx Velodrôme one. Of which felt a bit soulless finishing outside the velodrome for a couple of years in the mid 80ies. But again, PreWWII posters here might grumble that the velodrome is a new post WWII thing.

And then I'm really devided about De Ronde. Some years in grief after the route changing.
But now I like the replacement of 'Round of Flanders' to 'Round and round and round in Flanders'.
Still it's a good race and not so much a reluctant race as the Limburg Semiclassic one (of which too have faded, also due to senceless UCI category rules and crusial 'races to the UCI points'.

Fine with me if your want to create a totally different race.
"Les Routes Blanches" sounds fine with me.
But do not ever never relate it to Paris-Tours.

I second that.
And, again please bring traditions home.

Getting slightly sick of everything needed to 'be spiced up', just to be able to compete with 5mins YT vids or 5secs TikTok ditto.
It is the prolonged enjoyment with the whir of the story that should count.
Meanwhile, send the impatient kids out to play with a ball.

I hope my position does not seem too vague :)
Old route just makes it a boring sprint race, and there's enough boring 1.WT sprint races as is.

Reactions: postmanhat

TRENDING THREADS