Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Screecher said:
tobydawq said:
He says he broke his finger in Tirreno last year. Was that from leaping over Gaviria?
Gaviria broke his finger, not Sagan.
Lol, pretty embarrassing from Cyclingnews. Because in a recent article they quote Sagan as saying this:

"Things will be totally different on Saturday at Milan-San Remo," he said. "We've done some long hard races, but I think that'll be good for the Classics. They start on Saturday with Milan-San Remo and we'll see what happens. Last season I broke a finger here in Tirreno-Adriatico so I'm happier this year. I'm not worried. I've got some days to rest up and recover. I know I'm ready."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-and-sam-bennett-to-lead-bora-hansgrohe-at-milan-san-remo/

But actually, this was Gaviria who said that in this article from Monday which is about Sagan in the first part but ends with a couple of quotes from Gaviria:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-things-will-be-totally-different-on-saturday-at-milan-san-remo/

:lol:

Re:

Leinster said:
The line from Bora was that he’s starting his season late, and sacrificing Strade Bianche, to be competitive in late April in the Ardennes. We’all have to wait and watch over the next few weeks to see if that’s true.
Not sure if the course change in LBL has increased his chances. With the traditionally conservative racing I'd see him winning, but this year the peloton will attack from afar. Don't see Sagan keeping up in that case.

Hope he feels good tomorrow. Due to his previous illness he's not considered the #1 favorite, but I don't see him dropping on the Poggio and he'll be surely there if an elite group is formed.

I knew Sagan was doomed when I saw him in the 1st position going into that sprint. It's a horrible position to be in because if you don't get the timing absolutely perfect, which Sagan failed to do, you get overtaken by riders with more momentum and after 290 km's of racing it's very difficult to have the acceleration to recover it. Perhaps a better decision would have been to start the sprint early but he most likely wouldn't have won anyway, just look at what happened in 2017. He's looking very good for next races though. Hopefully he gets some of them right.

If somebody told me in 2013 that Sagan wont win San Remo at lest to 2020 (if ever) I would told him he is nuts. It is unreal how he allways can lose the race which suits him most on the paper. Always there never won.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
The days of "you can win Sanremo at 90%" are over.

Sagan was better than I anticipated today based on his Tirreno. He should be compeltely fine on the cobbles.
Nibz 2018?
Special circumstances.

Rain made 90% Nibs go to 95% while the rest got a 10% nerf.

Nibali is OP in rain and needs nerfing, but I won't complain.

Re:

The Chicken said:
He did one of the worst sprints I've ever seen. What's wrong with him?
He lost momentum twice. First, he reacted too late, when he reacted, he got squeezed between Valverde and Kwiatkowski and had to accelerate again. It took a while to get going.

I don't think anything is wrong with him. He followed Alaphilippe on the Poggio as not many people believed he would be able to do.

I think this race is some sort of psychological problem for him, and that's why he always make mistakes. He's racing under huge pressure here, he knows he can win it any day of the week, yet he fails to do it every year.

Re:

Blanco said:
I think this race is some sort of psychological problem for him, and that's why he always make mistakes. He's racing under huge pressure here, he knows he can win it any day of the week, yet he fails to do it every year.
The psychological problem is simply that he's not very good tactically, and never has been. He wins races through his physical attributes - by having a significant power advantage over his rivals, not by out-thinking them. And at MSR you need to do both.

So disappointed for Sagan. It looked like he had the legs - he was going fastest as they crossed the line - but got caught out tactically in the final. He was stuck in the front, then missed a moment when Allaphillipe made his jump.

DFA123 said:
The psychological problem is simply that he's not very good tactically, and never has been. He wins races through his physical attributes - by having a significant power advantage over his rivals, not by out-thinking them. And at MSR you need to do both.
It's not even about being "good" tactically. The M-SR problem is not difficult to solve for a rider of Sagan's caliber, he just has a confidence problem - too much confidence.

From here on out he must approach M-SR as full-on wheelsucker-leech and gamble. Try to grab the right wheel on the Poggio, but not go into the wind whatsoever. If the main bunch catches up, so be it, but be 100% opportunistic.

Once he has that box ticked off he can continue trying to win in style again. But it would be ridiculous if he never wins that race during his career, however long it may be.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:
It's not even about being "good" tactically. The M-SR problem is not difficult to solve for a rider of Sagan's caliber, he just has a confidence problem - too much confidence.

From here on out he must approach M-SR as full-on wheelsucker-leech and gamble. Try to grab the right wheel on the Poggio, but not go into the wind whatsoever. If the main bunch catches up, so be it, but be 100% opportunistic.

Once he has that box ticked off he can continue trying to win in style again. But it would be ridiculous if he never wins that race during his career, however long it may be.
I think "too much confidence" was valid in 2013, when he clearly didn't think there was anyone in the group who could outsprint him (and ignored that Ciolek had been wheelsucking the whole way), and maybe a bit in 2017 (when he opened the sprint a little too early).

But if anything I think this time around he was maybe a little under-agressive, unwilling to take control as if he'd been burned one too may times here. It was as if he allowed himself to be put on the front, instead of asserting himself onto the front. And then once there, he let the speed die, when he says himself he doesn't do well with a sprint starting from a slow speed. And then he drifted to the right, like he was nervous about Valverde, allowing the avenue to his left for Mohorric to lead Alaf, Kwiat and Naessen (ie, the whole podium) through.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:

So, in summary, he needs to be better tactically then.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:

Cance did the same after Gerrans win. It did not work out though in Sagans case he is a good sprinter but going against Gaviria and other sprinters is difficult

ASK THE COMMUNITY