• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I knew Sagan was doomed when I saw him in the 1st position going into that sprint. It's a horrible position to be in because if you don't get the timing absolutely perfect, which Sagan failed to do, you get overtaken by riders with more momentum and after 290 km's of racing it's very difficult to have the acceleration to recover it. Perhaps a better decision would have been to start the sprint early but he most likely wouldn't have won anyway, just look at what happened in 2017. He's looking very good for next races though. Hopefully he gets some of them right.

Re:

The Chicken said:
He did one of the worst sprints I've ever seen. What's wrong with him?

He lost momentum twice. First, he reacted too late, when he reacted, he got squeezed between Valverde and Kwiatkowski and had to accelerate again. It took a while to get going.

I don't think anything is wrong with him. He followed Alaphilippe on the Poggio as not many people believed he would be able to do.

Re:

Blanco said:
I think this race is some sort of psychological problem for him, and that's why he always make mistakes. He's racing under huge pressure here, he knows he can win it any day of the week, yet he fails to do it every year.
The psychological problem is simply that he's not very good tactically, and never has been. He wins races through his physical attributes - by having a significant power advantage over his rivals, not by out-thinking them. And at MSR you need to do both.

So disappointed for Sagan. It looked like he had the legs - he was going fastest as they crossed the line - but got caught out tactically in the final. He was stuck in the front, then missed a moment when Allaphillipe made his jump.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
The psychological problem is simply that he's not very good tactically, and never has been. He wins races through his physical attributes - by having a significant power advantage over his rivals, not by out-thinking them. And at MSR you need to do both.

It's not even about being "good" tactically. The M-SR problem is not difficult to solve for a rider of Sagan's caliber, he just has a confidence problem - too much confidence.

From here on out he must approach M-SR as full-on wheelsucker-leech and gamble. Try to grab the right wheel on the Poggio, but not go into the wind whatsoever. If the main bunch catches up, so be it, but be 100% opportunistic.

Once he has that box ticked off he can continue trying to win in style again. But it would be ridiculous if he never wins that race during his career, however long it may be.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:

It's not even about being "good" tactically. The M-SR problem is not difficult to solve for a rider of Sagan's caliber, he just has a confidence problem - too much confidence.

From here on out he must approach M-SR as full-on wheelsucker-leech and gamble. Try to grab the right wheel on the Poggio, but not go into the wind whatsoever. If the main bunch catches up, so be it, but be 100% opportunistic.

Once he has that box ticked off he can continue trying to win in style again. But it would be ridiculous if he never wins that race during his career, however long it may be.

I think "too much confidence" was valid in 2013, when he clearly didn't think there was anyone in the group who could outsprint him (and ignored that Ciolek had been wheelsucking the whole way), and maybe a bit in 2017 (when he opened the sprint a little too early).

But if anything I think this time around he was maybe a little under-agressive, unwilling to take control as if he'd been burned one too may times here. It was as if he allowed himself to be put on the front, instead of asserting himself onto the front. And then once there, he let the speed die, when he says himself he doesn't do well with a sprint starting from a slow speed. And then he drifted to the right, like he was nervous about Valverde, allowing the avenue to his left for Mohorric to lead Alaf, Kwiat and Naessen (ie, the whole podium) through.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:

So, in summary, he needs to be better tactically then.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:

Cance did the same after Gerrans win. It did not work out though in Sagans case he is a good sprinter but going against Gaviria and other sprinters is difficult

So... I don't know what to think of his E3 performance. The last time he was actually competitive here was 2016. Is he too heavy ? Is it because this race generally splits up earlier than other races like Tour of Flanders? Also, why does he keep working in groups when he's clearly not feeling well? It's like he feels obliged to do so. And then he seems to fake a mechanical. I really don't get it.

Re:

Screecher said:
So... I don't know what to think of his E3 performance. The last time he was actually competitive here was 2016. Is he too heavy ? Is it because this race generally splits up earlier than other races like Ronde van Vlaanderen? Also, why does he keep working in groups when he's clearly not feeling well? It's like he feels obliged to do so. And then he seems to fake a mechanical. I really don't get it.

You hate on him in every post you make about him... just look above on this page. And you did in another thread the other day. Cool if you dont like him, but you can stay mad.

Salvarani said:
Screecher said:
So... I don't know what to think of his E3 performance. The last time he was actually competitive here was 2016. Is he too heavy ? Is it because this race generally splits up earlier than other races like Ronde van Vlaanderen? Also, why does he keep working in groups when he's clearly not feeling well? It's like he feels obliged to do so. And then he seems to fake a mechanical. I really don't get it.

You hate on him in every post you make about him... just look above on this page. And you did in another thread the other day. Cool if you dont like him, but you can stay mad.
I don't hate. I'm being critical because i want him to do well and i know he can do better. I'm from the same country as him and he's the reason why i started watching cycling.

Screecher said:
Salvarani said:
Screecher said:

I don't hate. I'm being critical because i want him to do well and i know he can do better. I'm from the same country as him and he's the reason why i started watching cycling.

You are being over-critical, and if what you said is true, you should have a little more faith than what you are showing him.

Why on earth he would fake mechanical? :confused: He admitted he is not in good shape yet AND had mechanical issues with gearrings. I guess we never know how strong or weak he would be in final. Anyway last three editions his results at this race are p*** poor and that really annoys me.

TRENDING THREADS