Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 25, 2018
157
1
1,835
From Peter's facebook page:
"A hard Flèche Wallonne is over. I was here to work for the squad and contribute to the effort to achieve the best result possible. Together with the team, we decided that the best for me would now be to take a few days off in order to better prepare myself for the next races, starting with the Amgen Tour of California on May 12."

This decision should have been made after Amstel. I hope that Bora learnt a lesson from this spring and won't try to repeat it again. I don't believe his bad condition was caused only by a stomach virus. I think they messed up something in his training campaign. One just can't focus on both cobbles and Ardennes in a single season, you have to choose just one option. However I do believe he will bounce back and show his strenght in July and in Yorkshire.
 
Sagan should've done this after Roubaix. He was never going to do anything at Liège trying to ride into form during the week before.

When he was ill in March he lost 4kg. If that's true, it's easy to think that can disrupt the entire spring campaign.
 
If he keeps going on the way he has planned I doubt that he is gonna get any more than a couple of victories in this season at most. Nothing will change unless he totally ditches the race calendar now and rest. His rivals will destroy him in TDF at this rate. I dont understand why he does not see this now personally? Or he does but the rider in him does not want to quit.
 
Maybe slimming down intentionally was one of the main problems, he did that when he rode at Cannondale and even durning the next year at Tinkoff his endurance seemed to suffer, at a certain point it was usually lights out for him after a hard race.
Maybe the illness messed up his preparation (he probably just lost water weight because of dehydration, but it can kill your form). Starting your season so early is probably not the best thing to do, but Specialized is probably pushing him to ride in Australia and if they are paying a decent amount of his salary they have some influence, so just skip San Juan.
Despite his (sometimes well crafted) Image he always seemed to be a hard worker, he never was like Pippo, who was always more style than substance and cruised on his talent and his class.
Taking a break right now is the smart thing to do.
 
fuiers said:
If he keeps going on the way he has planned I doubt that he is gonna get any more than a couple of victories in this season at most. Nothing will change unless he totally ditches the race calendar now and rest. His rivals will destroy him in TDF at this rate. I dont understand why he does not see this now personally? Or he does but the rider in him does not want to quit.
What do you mean? He does ditch the planned Liege participation. Then it will be California, Switzerland, Tour, just like always. No need to change that!
 
He'll likely still racing California because he actually really enjoys that race. Plus he usually flys to the US at least 1-2 weeks before the race. That should get him at least that time for training without many interruptions.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
Re:

Koronin said:
He'll likely still racing California because he actually really enjoys that race. Plus he usually flys to the US at least 1-2 weeks before the race. That should get him at least that time for training without many interruptions.
One of the problems may be all the obligations to his sponsors in the US.

IMO he is doing too many appearances, and while it is not as demanding as racing, it could still be very exhausting between travel etc.

He needs rest. I mean complete rest!
 
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Koronin said:
He'll likely still racing California because he actually really enjoys that race. Plus he usually flys to the US at least 1-2 weeks before the race. That should get him at least that time for training without many interruptions.
One of the problems may be all the obligations to his sponsors in the US.

IMO he is doing too many appearances, and while it is not as demanding as racing, it could still be very exhausting between travel etc.

He needs rest. I mean complete rest!

That's possible. Although without the rainbow jersey you'd think his appearances would be less than they had been the last three years with it.
 
He could be a bit burned out. OTOH it's my perception (I could be wrong) that there are a bunch of new riders coming to the fore this year -- Matthews, VDP, Fugl, Lambrecht, Alaphilippe etc. -- it just seems that some of those guys have an extra gear. Obviously every year there's a new crop but something about this year seems a little different. Or maybe it's that I'm paying more attention.
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
As expected, instead of getting proper rest, Sagan is traveling around Europe promoting his gold "coin/medal" that you can buy for about $25,000.

But hurry up, because only 100 coins were made and 65 has already sold. It is made out of real gold and therefore a true bargain! :cool:

 
If he has signed a contract to promote this, then it is not much that you can do here and now though. Just need to think more about the timing of these sort of things in the future. That performing on the bike comes first and deals or opportunities like this is fruit of the labor in a way.
 
Re:

Jancouver said:
As expected, instead of getting proper rest, Sagan is traveling around Europe promoting his gold "coin/medal" that you can buy for about $25,000.

But hurry up, because only 100 coins were made and 65 has already sold. It is made out of real gold and therefore a true bargain! :cool:

...call in the next 5 minutes, and you will get free shipping and a free replica of the banana that caused him to slide and run Cav' in the barricades at the Tour. A $49.99 value :D.

Sorry :D .

He needs to rest/regroup, he's still be best bike rider in the World methink, just a little burned-out.
 
Re:

Jancouver said:
As expected, instead of getting proper rest, Sagan is traveling around Europe promoting his gold "coin/medal" that you can buy for about $25,000.

But hurry up, because only 100 coins were made and 65 has already sold. It is made out of real gold and therefore a true bargain! :cool:

Makes me laugh every time I read it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY