Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My $0.01 worth: I prefer quiet negotiations, not shoulder punches via the media. If Dink doesn't think PS is worth the money then just find his next star, and let someone else sign PS. IMO, he is one of the riders who is worth more than his wins (of which he has plenty). I agree with those who think that if he moves, he will either go to a Specialized team, or his new team will become a Specialized team. Him moving back to Cannondale would be a big media blitz for Cdale though.

L3GEION IS A SPECIALIZED TEAM!
It’s pretty weird that Denk apparently mouthed off in the media. Bora usually are good at keeping internal stuff internal. Even when they were having a quite bitter falling out with Sam Bennett over a whole season, and journalists were trying to get quotes about it all the time, both management and rider actually said very little. I had the impression that they try hard to keep exactly the kind of no drama image you prefer when it comes to negotiations.

Sagan’s future is obviously extremely important to them in terms of budget and profile. His signing was the moment they arrived as a top half of the WT team. He’s been their meal ticket. It’s a tricky situation: his status in the sport means that he will demand another fat pay cheque, but his results have been sliding downwards since his last stellar year in 2018. They have a lot of quality and depth in their squad but no other big star. They need Kamna or Schachmann to step up to the next level and/or Ackermann or Buchmann to show the level they seemed to be developing in 2019 or some less expected guy to really advance. Otherwise the sponsor publicity is going to reduce a lot. Sagan brings big publicity even when the wins aren’t flowing.

In 2019, Bora had 11 wins by now, en route to a 47 win season. They were legitimate rivals to DQS as the dominant sprint and classics team and also had young GC riders who seemed to have big futures. Even if Sagan had left, the future looked promising. It all looks tougher at the moment.

Last edited:
DIdn't he win no stages in that Tour and was basically in the Tinkov flames until he won the Worlds?
I read his autobiography a few years ago and as I recall it, when he won California there were no more problems with Tinkov. Him winning no stages in the Tour was incredible (and let's not forget that he was baby-sitting Contador at least on the cobbled stage) considering his level which was absolutely insane.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sagan was looking to get a MVDP kimd of deal, a smaller team that allows him to also ride MTB and pick his goals while still getting seven figures from Specialized.
I don't think he wants to ride MTB, honestly. He is a road racer and has admitted to be that.

I think it is one of the better interviews I have read with him, and it was nice to see that he doesn't feel like being in the autumn of his career.

I don't think he wants to ride MTB, honestly. He is a road racer and has admitted to be that.

I think it is one of the better interviews I have read with him, and it was nice to see that he doesn't feel like being in the autumn of his career.
Sagan could ride anything to promote bikes for Specialized. Looking at the roadies spending $5grand on gravel bikes and then riding on the road is indication of that market and his brand affiliation could last past his racing career. Endorsements make the icon richer.

Sagan could ride anything to promote bikes for Specialized. Looking at the roadies spending $5grand on gravel bikes and then riding on the road is indication of that market and his brand affiliation could last past his racing career. Endorsements make the icon richer.
Can he still do the BORA appliance commercial if he’s no longer on that team? :)

Sagan to DQS next season?
I guess it's not impossible considering DQS also rides with specialized bikes, but Sagan will have to agree to take a way lower salary. Probably also depends on who the new sponsor(s) will be and how big the budget will be. Lefevere wants a bigger budget, but I can imagine that he mainly wants to spend it on improving the GC-side of the team with Evenepoel there.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS