• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Z3lvet said:
Sky'sthelimit said:
When will Sagan's luck change.
It´s not about luck, it´s about priorities. You can´t fight for green yersey and expect to win stages. Atleast not with a competition like this.

I think this is a really good point. When you listen to the pure sprinters they are more concerned with stage wins and less so the green jersey. Sagan is clearly chasing green. I think just like the yellow and the climber's jersey people don't feel a rider has 'earned' it without a stage win.

Cav and Greipel will both have stage wins and their tours will be considered a success. Whereas Sagan's tour will be seen as failure because he only won green? I hope Sagan wins a stage so this POV can die.

If he didn't have to babysit Contador for the whole Tour, he would have had at least two wins imo. That's why he doesn't win. But the win will come eventually, I'm not worried about it. Sure he deserves a victory in this year's Tour for the work he's done but the green jersey is also an important goal.

I also thought that he was just spent but after the stage he said:
"It’s not bad luck. It was mistake because I was waiting for too long. I was pushing out of the saddle and then I came to his (Van Avermaet’s) wheel and I sat down. That was my mistake because I needed to carry on pushing so that I could win. But it was my mistake and I’m pissed now."
- and after reading that I was like WTF? What was he thinking to stop pushing? Then again, maybe that's just his bad english again.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Z3lvet said:
ray j willings said:
He looked beat then rode back again and IMO looked like he could have passed him but let up. I have a suspicion he let GVA win.
Why would he let him win? Please, explain.

I have no idea...take a look at it. Sagan sort of gives up then GVA does not get that far ahead then Sagan closes in again and looks ready to go past but doesn't as though he can't be ar£ed and sits up

its only view and I may very well be wrong but take a look and see what you think

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/nbcsports3/?title=Last+Km+of+Stage+13&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=_Q2V0glXp4VB&yr=2015

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
https://twitter.com/ronnyjowe/status/622418263083995136?lang=en

You might missed it earlier but Oleg handed Sagan a message from the team car...

CKNGHJXXAAAWblX.jpg

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
barefoot cyclist said:
lol.

This has obviously become extremely mental now, which is honestly quite reassuring. There's no doubt the ability and form is still 100% there. He'll get over it, but in the meantime his versatility probably hurts him mentally. The sheer # of opportunities he has to f*ck up must make it 10 times more frustrating.

Awesome ride today though.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
37 - 0 today. Green should be wrapped up. We'll see if Greipel sprints for intermediate tomorrow or not. It would help TS if not. It would also help Greipel and Cav not to waste time for single digit points after the break has gone thru. Final sprint finish tomorrow should be battle royale.

I don't know why they talked about Sagan for the win today. 20 guys in the break, 10% sections...but it was worth the 17 points at the end. Watching this year and with the new point system, you'd think he could win 10 green jerseys.

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Today Peter extends his lead in points classification by 61 points.

Will he keep it all the way to Paris ?

It is going to be hard. There are rumours that Andre is coming with new tactics to get himself back into competition.
See it for yourself...

media_l_7869921.jpg

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

nepetalactone said:
SeriousSam said:
Reckon that 4m/year is a hefty price for a bunch of top 5s in big races.

Meh. Ultimately they're paying for exposure and he gets plenty.

Nope! Normal sponsors do pay for showtime, but Olga does not give a flying fork... he pays to have a personal toy, so yes, for the moment he wants yellow/green, but if he says the priority is The longest breakaway doing wheelie, it becomes the team strategy (of course he may end up not having top riders doing this next year)

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Reckon that 4m/year is a hefty price for a bunch of top 5s in big races.
Well, 4m/year is a hefty price full stop. I highly doubt he'd be on that on any other team. He took advantage of Tinkov being a complete moron who throws money around first, then asks questions later. We'd all do the same.

Anyway, I still think he'll eventually start winning stages again and potentially classics. As I said before, these recent results are clearly mental rather than him not being a good enough rider. He's too good, and his versatility gives him too many opportunities for him not to be successful again.