• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Billie said:
Sagan needs to stay quiet during Vuelta. Not show any good form before the WC. That way he won't be considered a favourite and it won't be a all jumping on his wheel/looking at him to chase affair. For once.

Welp.

SPTDW5084-659x440.jpg

Alejandro_Valverde-Movistar_Team-Vuelta_a_Espana_LNCIMA20150825_0085_5.jpg

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
Sagan needs to stay quiet during Vuelta. Not show any good form before the WC. That way he won't be considered a favourite and it won't be a all jumping on his wheel/looking at him to chase affair. For once.

Racers Race and that's that. Can't deny anyone who wants to go and win on the world stage. And besides, even if he tried to keep a low profile, he'd STILL be a marked man due to his known past. Anyways, his team will be so weak compared to the power houses (Spain, Germany, etc) that any surprise move would be snuffed out regardless. He'll always be a marked man, good form or not.

Re:

Billie said:

That's going to happen anyway. Not much he can do about that but just race smarter and use his energies sparingly.

Re:

Billie said:
Nah, he needs to win more and more. Not sure if you or anybody noticed, La Vuelta has been a turning point for the best for Sagan...

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Michael Matthews said:
The green jersey is definitely my goal for my career - to go for this jersey, eventually. If it's next year or the year after, whenever I'm ready and the team is ready to put the team around me to support me for that jersey. It's not something that you can just do by yourself. The team needs to be totally around just that one rider for that type of a jersey.

Unless you're the Tourminator!

After Bala, and maybe Lobato, I want Sagan to win the most. I still can't understand who he didnt managed to win one single stage in the Tour after arguably being the strongest rider, by far, in the race and he had probably won 4 in the Vuelta if not for that genius on the bike. He deserves some success! I cringe everytime he gets oh so close.....

Imagine the talent Sagan has on a GC-rider and he had swept the 3 GT's before turning 25. Oh lord have mercy. How he fails to produce more is a mystery....

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Well,

1) Everyone is riding on his wheel.
2) He is not the best tactician. He improved there.
3) Barely gets help of his teammates. Money aside, why did he choose for Saxobank.

Thats why he isnt winning more.

When Stybar won, he had a buch of wheelsuckers behind him.
The stage Avermaet won, he should have passed him right away (even he confirmed this).
Quite often he's coming from way too far.

Just a few recent examples.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
After Bala, and maybe Lobato, I want Sagan to win the most. I still can't understand who he didnt managed to win one single stage in the Tour after arguably being the strongest rider, by far, in the race and he had probably won 4 in the Vuelta if not for that genius on the bike. He deserves some success! I cringe everytime he gets oh so close.....

Imagine the talent Sagan has on a GC-rider and he had swept the 3 GT's before turning 25. Oh lord have mercy. How he fails to produce more is a mystery....

First off, he doesn't have the right team. Or maybe he just wants the money short-term so doesn't care either way, who knows. But he needs to focus on either classics or GC wins. Not both. He's had another long tired season when his move to Tinkoff was supposed to allow focus on the classics. At this rate, he is never going to win a monument because of slow legs come spring due to recovery from a long prior season. WC, too, even in favorable years will be tough because of fatigue. So this year his biggest achievement was California - wow, pat on the back there, but that too was just a fluke due to the sudden course change and not repeatable. Until then, he'll just be a domestique in the grand tours, a future replacement for Bennati.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

[quote=""Jeff"":2mkvpbg8]Well,

3) Barely gets help of his teammates. Money aside, why did he choose for Saxobank.

The stage Avermaet won, he should have passed him right away (even he confirmed this).

Just a few recent examples.[/quote]

Apart from that, he also has plenty of days where there are just some better riders. Especially in monuments, where every top rider is in super shape.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
[quote=""Jeff"":3dnnqgod]Well,

Just a few recent examples.

Apart from that, he also has plenty of days where there are just some better riders. Especially in monuments, where every top rider is in super shape.[/quote]

exaclty - peaking, peaking, and once more peaking! Especially for long brutal classics raced damn hard, and even more importantly, when practically without team support in the late stage of the race.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Yup. The most deserving champion. Grats Peter!