• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Love this from Sagan

Sagan when asked how long he can keep yellow: "I don't care. If I don't have yellow, I have green. If I don't have green, I have rainbow"

Let's hope he shows all three at once:

Squirbos_19 said:
I can imagine Peter riding tomorrow's stage in a jersey with the rainbow bands, yellow above it and green below it.

If there's any cyclist the ASO/UCI would allow to do this, surely it's Sagan. (Aka, The Peloton's Official Mascot)

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I bet we will need a new team to buy him... And that team won't have any spare money for the team he needs around him to win many big races.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
13592615_1315487921812754_2806933887148094933_n.jpg

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
If he continues like this only sky will be able to afford him. Imagine kwiatowski, sagan and moscon destroying the classics for years to come, what a sight that would be...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
At last, Tinkoff capture the yellow jersey of the Tour de France.

Oleg was probably desperate to claim that coveted trophy. It is the most difficult jersey to get a hold of, takes an exceptional rider at the peak of his powers to do it. Well done to Sagan!

CmdEr3EW8AAQnhv.jpg

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
If he continues like this only sky will be able to afford him. Imagine kwiatowski, sagan and moscon destroying the classics for years to come, what a sight that would be...

Sky would have to get rid of a fair amount of Froome's domestiques before being able to afford Sagan. They're not budgetless, and when you're paying people like Thomas and Landa similar amounts to Cav's wages at DD, you run out of money very quickly

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Ramon Koran said:

Sky would have to get rid of a fair amount of Froome's domestiques before being able to afford Sagan. They're not budgetless, and when you're paying people like Thomas and Landa similar amounts to Cav's wages at DD, you run out of money very quickly
Not only that.Also singing Sagan you losing another three riders spots for (Baska,Kolar,J.Sagan).So no Sky :twisted:

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
SeriousSam said:

Oleg was probably desperate to claim that coveted trophy. It is the most difficult jersey to get a hold of, takes an exceptional rider at the peak of his powers to do it. Well done to Sagan!

CmdEr3EW8AAQnhv.jpg
One year later and they are best friends(in front cameras).Oleg's best investment toy in his pro cycling adventure game. :razz:

KGB said:
SeriousSam said:

CmdEr3EW8AAQnhv.jpg
One year later and they are best friends(in front cameras).Oleg's best investment toy in his pro cycling adventure game. :razz:
No doubt!

KGB said:
SeriousSam said:

CmdEr3EW8AAQnhv.jpg

Not exactly a cheap investment though. Isn't he the best paid in the peloton? (He probably is the best in the peloton, but let's face it, it's a fact that GT winners get by far the most exposure for sponsors)

Tonton said:
MacBAir said:
Brullnux said:
Seriously, MacBAir, do you really believe that you can take climbing data/average speeds and compare it with modern times?
To a point, yes. You can use them as a much more viable indication to compare cyclists from different eras than you can use number of wins in the sixties and seventies.

It just confuses me that for some irrational reason, someone believes that Merckx would be competitive today. For starters, competitive at what?

About my previous posts go and watch the top 20 on MSR, Roubaix, LBL, Giro, Tour, Worlds during the older eras... Most of them are everywhere. And all of them are considered the best compared with recent riders by some of you.

Like I said, cycling was far from specialized and professional, compared to today.

If someone wants to answer, don't focus on grotesque exceptions to the rule.
Competitive at what? ITT for starters. He didn't prepare for months for his attempt, a la Wiggo, just showed up, and on a conventional bike, he's still with the best. Doing this in the fall after one of the greatest years ever recorded. Descending. He was every bit as good as the best descenders ever. I could go on and on.

I couldn't help but notice that you bring doping to the discussion. It's a no-no. Be aware :) .

There were many greats during Merckx tenure, legends of the monuments like Van Springel and De Vlaeminck, great GT riders, Poulidor of course, Gimondi, Van Impe, Zoetemelk, Agostinho, Ocana, Thevenet, et caetera.

And at the time, there were a lot of clubs, cycling was much more popular than it is today. The best athletes would not choose bogus sports like they do today, or sports that at the time were expensive like tennis for example. It was not as "pro", but the guys were much tougher. No weather protocol, no 3 km rule, when you see the whiners of today, how many of today's pros would have survived having to race 120 days per year, in all weather, not have Dave on the earpiece, therefore have to be smart, on roads that were nowhere in the shape they are today, on an 11 kg bike with no STI and only five cogs. If you compare eras, try to imagine today's guys back then. Interesting proposition. But pointless.

You don't know about those times, so why try to make a point, defend a position that's not holding water? Sorry but comparing Sagan to Merckx is a bit tough to swallow for those here who actually know about the sport :confused: . Respectfully, you're making a fool of yourself. Sorry :eek:

It doesn't take away the fact that Sagan has won two big races in his life and a lot of smaller ones. And his career is far from over. I'm a fan of his. He'll win more.

Just curious. If Merckx was born in say 1993 or so do you think he would be a better version of Sagan or a freak winning classics and GTs every year?

May 26, 2016
Visit site
SeriousSam said:

CmdEr3EW8AAQnhv.jpg
Where can I buy that shirt? I want it :D

mr. tibbs said:
HelloDolly said:
Love this from Sagan

Sagan when asked how long he can keep yellow: "I don't care. If I don't have yellow, I have green. If I don't have green, I have rainbow"

Let's hope he shows all three at once:

Squirbos_19 said:
I can imagine Peter riding tomorrow's stage in a jersey with the rainbow bands, yellow above it and green below it.

If there's any cyclist the ASO/UCI would allow to do this, surely it's Sagan. (Aka, The Peloton's Official Mascot)
Do this and all the other stuff he has done in cycling then he pinches a girl's bottom… :Neutral:

saunaking said:
Tonton said:
MacBAir said:
Brullnux said:
Seriously, MacBAir, do you really believe that you can take climbing data/average speeds and compare it with modern times?
To a point, yes. You can use them as a much more viable indication to compare cyclists from different eras than you can use number of wins in the sixties and seventies.

It just confuses me that for some irrational reason, someone believes that Merckx would be competitive today. For starters, competitive at what?

About my previous posts go and watch the top 20 on MSR, Roubaix, LBL, Giro, Tour, Worlds during the older eras... Most of them are everywhere. And all of them are considered the best compared with recent riders by some of you.

Like I said, cycling was far from specialized and professional, compared to today.

If someone wants to answer, don't focus on grotesque exceptions to the rule.
Competitive at what? ITT for starters. He didn't prepare for months for his attempt, a la Wiggo, just showed up, and on a conventional bike, he's still with the best. Doing this in the fall after one of the greatest years ever recorded. Descending. He was every bit as good as the best descenders ever. I could go on and on.

I couldn't help but notice that you bring doping to the discussion. It's a no-no. Be aware :) .

There were many greats during Merckx tenure, legends of the monuments like Van Springel and De Vlaeminck, great GT riders, Poulidor of course, Gimondi, Van Impe, Zoetemelk, Agostinho, Ocana, Thevenet, et caetera.

And at the time, there were a lot of clubs, cycling was much more popular than it is today. The best athletes would not choose bogus sports like they do today, or sports that at the time were expensive like tennis for example. It was not as "pro", but the guys were much tougher. No weather protocol, no 3 km rule, when you see the whiners of today, how many of today's pros would have survived having to race 120 days per year, in all weather, not have Dave on the earpiece, therefore have to be smart, on roads that were nowhere in the shape they are today, on an 11 kg bike with no STI and only five cogs. If you compare eras, try to imagine today's guys back then. Interesting proposition. But pointless.

You don't know about those times, so why try to make a point, defend a position that's not holding water? Sorry but comparing Sagan to Merckx is a bit tough to swallow for those here who actually know about the sport :confused: . Respectfully, you're making a fool of yourself. Sorry :eek:

It doesn't take away the fact that Sagan has won two big races in his life and a lot of smaller ones. And his career is far from over. I'm a fan of his. He'll win more.

Just curious. If Merckx was born in say 1993 or so do you think he would be a better version of Sagan or a freak winning classics and GTs every year?
My guess is that he would be similar to PS. No way he would win a GT. But comparing generations is difficult at best. Who knows how EM would develop himself in the 2000s.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
As good as Sagan is comparing him to merckx is ludicrous. People say merckx would be to heavy to climb with the best in the modern peleton are misinformed. If you compare his ventoux ascent time in 70 it's not much slower than today despite all the technology evolution. Sure Sagan is a great talent but he's comparable to the likes of kelly, valverde or Jalabert talent wise, not merckx.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
As good as Sagan is comparing him to merckx is ludicrous. People say merckx would be to heavy to climb with the best in the modern peleton are misinformed. If you compare his ventoux ascent time in 70 it's not much slower than today despite all the technology evolution. Sure Sagan is a great talent but he's comparable to the likes of kelly, valverde or Jalabert talent wise, not merckx.
Merckx's apparent abilities were inflated by the low quality of his opposition.