• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Merckx is not the all time great period , i could not tell you why here because it involved in doping but he is not the all time great , the best is Coppi

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

nairoman said:
Merckx is not the all time great period , i could not tell you why here because it involved in doping but he is not the all time great , the best is Coppi
I can tell you that any of Coppi, Merckx and other classic greats would have a much smaller palmares if they were racing today.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

He realises that taking over Cancellara's wins doesn't mean he has to take over his attitude too doesn't he?

he is not stopping people from racing,he just says they are reckless (which they are) - people on this very forum always complain about the likes of bouhanni and how dangerous he is...but god forbid when an actuall rider complains about dangerous riding? cmon man

saganftw said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

He realises that taking over Cancellara's wins doesn't mean he has to take over his attitude too doesn't he?

he is not stopping people from racing,he just says they are reckless (which they are) - people on this very forum always complain about the likes of bouhanni and how dangerous he is...but god forbid when an actuall rider complains about dangerous riding? cmon man

Hes complaining about too many sprint trains and it appears he thinks that people should just hang back and let the big names duke it out. Tough luck Sagan, deal with it.

King Boonen said:
saganftw said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

Hes complaining about too many sprint trains and it appears he thinks that people should just hang back and let the big names duke it out. Tough luck Sagan, deal with it.

thats what many argue as well - that teams like SKY should fck off the front of the peloton in last KMs of a sprint finish,there are just too many people wanting to be on the front including all the sprint trains ...not just sprinters but sprint trains

just look at stage 1 we already had a crash in sprint finish,its not like he is making this up - its happening and it will happen in this stage you are watching right now...hopefully noone crashes this time

and btw he is the last person who should be concerned by this,considering he barely crashes...so him speaking about it is not just for his own benefit

saganftw said:
King Boonen said:
saganftw said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

thats what many argue as well - that teams like SKY should fck off the front of the peloton in last KMs of a sprint finish,there are just too many people wanting to be on the front including all the sprint trains ...not just sprinters but sprint trains

just look at stage 1 we already had a crash in sprint finish,its not like he is making this up - its happening and it will happen in this stage you are watching right now...hopefully noone crashes this time

and btw he is the last person who should be concerned by this,considering he barely crashes...so him speaking about it is not just for his own benefit

Last year (I think) I proposed that there should be a 3km early finish line for GC times, which would remove a good number of riders from the road and leave only the sprinters and their lead-outs, The inner ring just proposed the same thing. I'm all for cutting down the number of riders at the front, especially the GC riders who don't want to be there but have to be, the 3km rule needs to be pro-active, not reactive.

My main problem is Sagan doesn't seem to be thinking like that. He seems to be suggesting that only the likes of himself, Cavendish, Kittel, Greipel, Kristoff etc. should be allowed to contest the sprints and everyone else should just move out of their way. It's that which I fundamentally disagree with.

you are missinterpreting his words,all i got from this is that the sprinter teams are reckless and they want to be on the front at all costs - which is kinda true - not that only selected few should be fighting for stage...in other words there can be as many sprinters as there is room for,just a bit more concern for a guy next to you

King Boonen said:
saganftw said:
King Boonen said:
jmdirt said:

He did and has! :D

jmdirt said:
saunaking said:
Tonton said:
MacBAir said:
Brullnux said:
Seriously, MacBAir, do you really believe that you can take climbing data/average speeds and compare it with modern times?
To a point, yes. You can use them as a much more viable indication to compare cyclists from different eras than you can use number of wins in the sixties and seventies.

It just confuses me that for some irrational reason, someone believes that Merckx would be competitive today. For starters, competitive at what?

About my previous posts go and watch the top 20 on MSR, Roubaix, LBL, Giro, Tour, Worlds during the older eras... Most of them are everywhere. And all of them are considered the best compared with recent riders by some of you.

Like I said, cycling was far from specialized and professional, compared to today.

If someone wants to answer, don't focus on grotesque exceptions to the rule.
Competitive at what? ITT for starters. He didn't prepare for months for his attempt, a la Wiggo, just showed up, and on a conventional bike, he's still with the best. Doing this in the fall after one of the greatest years ever recorded. Descending. He was every bit as good as the best descenders ever. I could go on and on.

I couldn't help but notice that you bring doping to the discussion. It's a no-no. Be aware :) .

There were many greats during Merckx tenure, legends of the monuments like Van Springel and De Vlaeminck, great GT riders, Poulidor of course, Gimondi, Van Impe, Zoetemelk, Agostinho, Ocana, Thevenet, et caetera.

And at the time, there were a lot of clubs, cycling was much more popular than it is today. The best athletes would not choose bogus sports like they do today, or sports that at the time were expensive like tennis for example. It was not as "pro", but the guys were much tougher. No weather protocol, no 3 km rule, when you see the whiners of today, how many of today's pros would have survived having to race 120 days per year, in all weather, not have Dave on the earpiece, therefore have to be smart, on roads that were nowhere in the shape they are today, on an 11 kg bike with no STI and only five cogs. If you compare eras, try to imagine today's guys back then. Interesting proposition. But pointless.

You don't know about those times, so why try to make a point, defend a position that's not holding water? Sorry but comparing Sagan to Merckx is a bit tough to swallow for those here who actually know about the sport :confused: . Respectfully, you're making a fool of yourself. Sorry :eek:

It doesn't take away the fact that Sagan has won two big races in his life and a lot of smaller ones. And his career is far from over. I'm a fan of his. He'll win more.

Just curious. If Merckx was born in say 1993 or so do you think he would be a better version of Sagan or a freak winning classics and GTs every year?
My guess is that he would be similar to PS. No way he would win a GT. But comparing generations is difficult at best. Who knows how EM would develop himself in the 2000s.
Eddie would have been even better with all the different scientific and technological support available to riders today. I suggest EM had something within his make-up that most riders then and now simply don't have.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Oleg seems to be a huge Sagan fan. According to cycling quotes:
"It's nice for Peter (to wear the yellow jersey). Cycling really needs guys like him. Froome is a great rider, but when it comes to the look, charisma and entertainment, he does not come close to Sagan.

"If Sagan wins another two stages, I'll stay in cycling.

:p

Kwibus said:
PeterB said:
Did you notice the hit Sagan got from one of the Giant guys at 6km to go? No wonder he isn't too happy about riding in the finale of stages. At around 3:26 time http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...3&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=x4jlzwf&yr=2016

Yeh that wasn't very nice, specially since there was more road furniture

Hard to tell there, it's quite possible that the Giant rider also got a push and there was nothing he could do about it.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
haha, brailsford feels some of these recent comments "about crazy guys at the front" are targeting SKYwards, so the empire strikes back

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-fighting-for-position-goes-with-the-territory/

funny, as it came after that Eisel's interview

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-fight-for-position-just-getting-ridiculous-says-eisel/

where he basically confirms that if there was a 3km neutralized zone (for the GC), they would sit happily at the back and would not bother to mess with the sprinters

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Sagan tremendously strong today. He would have probably finished in the Froome group if the peloton had stayed within striking distance of the breakaway.