• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ruudz0r said:
This year it was hard to fill the WT spots so there isnt to much competition. Next year there will be Team Alonso who wants to join the WT, but maybe EUropcar wants to step down again (or another sponsor stops).

With the salary of Sagan falling away they can also sign a very good new rider (as long as Cannondale keeps giving the same amount of money).

As far as I know there are plans to reduce the number of WT licenses to 16 next year (or is that in '16?). I see IAM wanting to step up in '15.

Arredondo said:
At the moment Moser doesn't bring big results, but he's got the potential. Basso is too old, and Viviani isn't the big sprinter a WT-squad needs. So if Moser isn't able to go back to his old form, or leaves the team, Cannondale got a big problem.

Vilella and Mohoric are the big prospects, but Cannondale also need results the next year (or two years). I don't think both guys can deliver in WT-races in the next two years (perhaps Mohoric can).
His performance in the Tour Down Under doesn't bode well...

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
His performance in the Tour Down Under doesn't bode well...

He said that he didn't even begin with the hard training rides and that he is still a few kilos overweight. Later in the season will be the bigger indication how good he can be. But still, the guy is only 19, give him time.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cannondale should be okay for at least a year or two without Sagan IMO. As has been pointed out already they've signed some talented young riders. And while those guys are developing they can look to Marcato, Gatto, Viviani for results. And maybe guys like Caruso, Ratto, Wurf will have a breakthrough year at some point and bring in some results. Villella is one of their young guys though who I think could start winning and getting results right away.

Without Sagan that also clears up some space in their budget, so they could look to signing some more guys for 2015 in preparation for not having him.

Afrank said:
Cannondale should be okay for at least a year or two without Sagan IMO. As has been pointed out already they've signed some talented young riders. And while those guys are developing they can look to Marcato, Gatto, Viviani for results. And maybe guys like Caruso, Ratto, Wurf will have a breakthrough year at some point and bring in some results. Villella is one of their young guys though who I think could start winning and getting results right away.

Without Sagan that also clears up some space in their budget, so they could look to signing some more guys for 2015 in preparation for not having him.

So Horner at 44? Basso and Horner, a sort of dream team.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:

I dont think Sagan's current salary is that high so there will not be that much extra cash floating around.

Personally I think it is mistake for him to go to a brand new team. I think BMC, Saxo or Katusha would be a better fit for Sagan.

It is very very strange to announce such a transfer in the beginning of the season. This still have not been confirmed neither on Sagan facebook nor twitter.

This can ruin all his season and plans for MSR and RVV.

I am not happy with this transfer at all. But money talks everywhere although I think he can get very similar amount in some other teams.

SKSemtex said:
It is very very strange to announce such a transfer in the beginning of the season. This still have not been confirmed neither on Sagan facebook nor twitter.
It is not announced, it is strongly rumoured. It is forbidden for riders and teams to even say they are negotiating before August 1. Of course, they all talk to each other, starting early in the season.

Sure, that's what people are suggesting. But Sagan is irreplaceable so whoever they get will be further down the ladder (except Quintana I guess) so if they wanted to stay as a top15 team they'd need existing riders to come on or bring depth in from the market.

SKSemtex said:

This can ruin all his season and plans for MSR and RVV.

I am not happy with this transfer at all. But money talks everywhere although I think he can get very similar amount in some other teams.

Can't seeing it impacting MSR and RVV much. There are no alternatives to Sagan in these races if the team wants to win them and make the current sponsor happy. Semi classics are another matter. Here Cannondale gotta try and get other riders to perform starting this season.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
I dont think Sagan's current salary is that high so there will not be that much extra cash floating around.

Personally I think it is mistake for him to go to a brand new team. I think BMC, Saxo or Katusha would be a better fit for Sagan.

the money i think is the one that talks. If sagan has the say, i'm sure he is asking to buy riders to support him. If Alonso can buy Sagan, he can buy any riders to support sagan with that kind of money. I guess Oleg has to wait until the end of 2016 to sign sagan :D

The latest is Bettini's statement that he thinks 3.3mil euro is too high. For that money, he says he can hire three riders, 1 to stay on his wheel and two to win.

Bettini, good luck with that strategy you fool...haha

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Think Contador is on his way out though.

According to Gazetta :rolleyes: it is his private contract with Specialized that is going down the drain, and him staying... At least thats how I read it. He does have a contract for 2015 too. We will see how the season pans out, but if Contador is back to 2011 form or a close approximation then Tinkoff will be willing to do a lot to keep Contador - and Cannondale would likely be glad for the opportunity to get a personal contract with Contador. Lots of ways to fix it.

However, I don't really believe there's anything substantial to the story. Sagan could be on his way- Feltrin, Tinkoff and Riis all wants him. And pretty sure they would also love to get Mohoric, Villella and Basso. But thats it.

TRENDING THREADS