• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 131 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sagan is a beast but still it's a bit sad that a rider who is that aggressive can basically only win in bunch sprints. I think the last race he won after an attack was KBK. It just shows that the best tactic for a rider with a sprint like that is waiting for the last 200m of a race to stick your nose into the wind.

Let's just hope Sagan will soon start winning in a more spectacular fashion again.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
three_sagans_670.jpg

CN's pic on the homepage

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Why are so many people assuming Sagan has no chance against Gaviria in a sprint?
I really don't understand... this hype around gaviria is getting ridiculous... and I really like the boy but calm down he isn't cippolini or "htc cavendish"

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Three world championships is too much, especially when he won the last two in such a forgettable fashion.
Last year he outsprinted CAV and Boonen in a deadly flat course. This year he literally stormed Bling away from his wheel and taught Kristoff what to do at the finish line. You can say that you don't like sprints, but that's your personal taste. Fact is that he smashed GvA and EBH in the final climb in Richmond AND smashed everybody in the final sprint. Only Bettini (and maybe Boonen) could win both attacking uphill and in a final sprint.

He was just lucky there was no tough course 3 years in a row, but that doesn't depend on him.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Durden93 said:
hrotha said:
portugal11 said:
hrotha said:
Three world championships is too much, especially when he won the last two in such a forgettable fashion.
:confused: did you see his first win?
Yes. It was a terrible race with only one lap of proper racing and where everything was always going to come to that last climb because of the terrible course design, but still, Sagan took his chances and went at it head-to-head with the other contenders at the exact point where the race could be made. Totally different from just waiting for the bunch sprint.

To be clear, this is the same world's where a break of Boonen, Stannard, Kwiatko, Mollema, Viviani, Moreno and a few others created a gap with 40km left, right?
Every WC RR has those moves that are clearly not the winning ones.

2014 didn't have a break which included any favourites unless you consider De Marchi and Gautier as top end talent. 2016 didn't feature a break which threatened the Sagan/Cav/Boonen group. This year's race had a break with some firepower, but none of the big favourites. The move in Richmond meant 6 of the world's strongest teams weren't chasing a break which held 30 seconds. It's a different situation entirely.

Gigs_98 said:
Sagan is a beast but still it's a bit sad that a rider who is that aggressive can basically only win in bunch sprints. I think the last race he won after an attack was KBK. It just shows that the best tactic for a rider with a sprint like that is waiting for the last 200m of a race to stick your nose into the wind.

Let's just hope Sagan will soon start winning in a more spectacular fashion again.

Yes it is sad. He maybe will be winning more but will be somehow uninspiring. I am really curious how he will ride at spring with Oss Kenaugh and improving Postlberger.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:

let's face it: should Cav have won in Doha or Kristoff in Bergen, it would have been of exactly the same forgettable fashion (Richmond was def. winning in style) ... I take it as a sort of act of justice winning two major races in a 'forgettable fashion" whilst losing so many other races in style ...

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
Gigs_98 said:
Why are so many people assuming Sagan has no chance against Gaviria in a sprint?
Because he was beating Cav probably. :lol:
Just the feeling. For sure Sagan can beat him, but race must be really hard. I am not scared he will loose to Gav in RVV or PR, but MSR is such a ****** race without le Manie
Gaviria challange for Sagan in RVV?Maybe for Sagan's Mum or his sister.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
What's the longest stretch someone has gone not wearing the official team jersey in a race? (not including any TTs).

I think Sagan hasn't worn one since 2011.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
I'm pretty sure he wore it at the nat road races, before he started the whole being World Champion thing.
Well obviously nationals should not be counted too. I think, the last time he wore his teams standard kit was first stage of tour de suise in 2011. After that he won the nationals and so on

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

tomorrow said:
RedheadDane said:
I'm pretty sure he wore it at the nat road races, before he started the whole being World Champion thing.
Well obviously nationals should not be counted too. I think, the last time he wore his teams standard kit was first stage of tour de suise in 2011. After that he won the nationals and so on
TT in the tour

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday he visited Lienz because of the deal that Osttirol have with Bora, they'll have a few training camps around here, this year I already saw the team training in the Upper Puster valley a few times.
Sagan and Lakata on the new Lakata trail:
5F128D24-E0B4-4FC2-923F-0D25E4AE8705_v0_h.jpg

Sagan respecting local traditions :D :
theurl-sagan-dolomitenhuette-710x558.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

AQETUYIOI said:
Why the rainbow jersey?
Lakata is the Marathon MTB WC, so him wearing that jersey while riding on a MTB is just normal.
The funny thing is that apparently the local guys didn't want to have both of the wearing the rainbow jersey and Sagan got a bit mad, but it's no like they wanted him to ride a road bike while wearing another jersey.

Apparently, he does not rule out going for Innsbruck. He says that if he can be as good a climber as in Tirreno 2013, he might have a chance, which I agree with.

Contradictory to this, however, he rules out going for Liege and Lombardia. Liege should be very doable, though.

But this is probably the most concrete I have heard him be regarding possible changes in his physiology in order to adapt to a future target.

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
He cant be competitive from San Remo to Liege though, so if in the future he wants to win that he will have to skip cobbles... I think he stil has got time for that, first he should try to win MSR and Roubaix

TRENDING THREADS