• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I dont believe Sagan to be stronger than GVA in Roubaix, he simply just fooled around too much with Boonen very early in the race. Chances are GVA could have played the game but decided not to as he had a race to win, saving energy for the finale when he clearly was the strongest rider. Simply no contest.

Had been very interesting to see if Sagan didn't crash with Greg on his wheel in Flanders, that could have been a great duel.

Yeah, no, Sagan would have smoked him on Paterberg.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
I dont believe Sagan to be stronger than GVA in Roubaix, he simply just fooled around too much with Boonen very early in the race. Chances are GVA could have played the game but decided not to as he had a race to win, saving energy for the finale when he clearly was the strongest rider. Simply no contest.

Had been very interesting to see if Sagan didn't crash with Greg on his wheel in Flanders, that could have been a great duel.

GVA 2017, no, I don't believe that to be the case!

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Based on?

Alexandre B. said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Based on?

Just to throw another sensational one-liner into a not very high-level discussion.

But based on Sagan's ride up the climb in 2016 and their head to head in Richmond.

Alexandre B. said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Based on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vMZv83YEM :)

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

DFA123 said:
KGB said:
Valv.Piti said:
KGB said:
Sagan got phone call from GVA how much he missed his wheel today.
Keep telling yourself that. Its really the go-to argument for Sagan fans and pretty annoying in the long run. Will be interesting when they finally square off again.
Everyone follow Sagans wheel even GVA boy. If that wheel is not in the race and all boys follow GVA well then he will not win many races.Cancellara was only one.GVA needs Sagan more then his BMC teammates.
By far the two biggest wins in GVA's career came when Sagan either got dropped early on (Roubaix) or didn't even enter because he was doing a marketing stunt instead (Olympics). So the theory doesn't hold up.

The reason why GVA and other top riders like Sagan being there is obvious. Because Sagan is incredibly strong, but rides without a brain - particularly in the finale. He basically is like a team-mate, because he co-operates, does loads of work, and then lets someone else win at the end.

And GvA only won the Olympics by Nibali crashing Henao out and wheelsucking Birdsong.

Two can play this game.

trucido said:
DFA123 said:
KGB said:
Valv.Piti said:
KGB said:
Keep telling yourself that. Its really the go-to argument for Sagan fans and pretty annoying in the long run. Will be interesting when they finally square off again.
Everyone follow Sagans wheel even GVA boy. If that wheel is not in the race and all boys follow GVA well then he will not win many races.Cancellara was only one.GVA needs Sagan more then his BMC teammates.
By far the two biggest wins in GVA's career came when Sagan either got dropped early on (Roubaix) or didn't even enter because he was doing a marketing stunt instead (Olympics). So the theory doesn't hold up.

The reason why GVA and other top riders like Sagan being there is obvious. Because Sagan is incredibly strong, but rides without a brain - particularly in the finale. He basically is like a team-mate, because he co-operates, does loads of work, and then lets someone else win at the end.

And GvA only won the Olympics by Nibali crashing Henao out and wheelsucking Birdsong.

Two can play this game.

I would not go that far. His Olympic win was amazing and well deserved. He beat all "climbers" fair and square in their playground and I loved that.

DFA123 said:
KGB said:
Valv.Piti said:
KGB said:

Yes. That´s why he is in the rainbow third year in the row. :D
One thing is riding without brain - particularly in the finale - and other is having no option in the finale. Either he chases everybody or sprints for the second place. He has no wheel to suck on.

Krokro said:
DFA123 said:
Netserk said:
How on earth was Sagan dropped "early on" in Roubaix???
I guess he had bad legs.

FFS, he punctured (or had a mechanical). Im sure of one thing, because I watched the race, it was not due to bad legs. But keep convincing yourself, you are cute :)
Yeah, so did GVA - so does half the field in Roubaix. GVA still managed to get back in and win the race. Sagan didn't, because he didn't have the legs to get back on.

Anyway, the point is that GVA doesn't need Sagan to win a big race. The two of them work well together, that's all. Although if anything, Sagan stopped him from winning RVV last season as well when he inexplicably rode into a jacket.

DFA123 said:
Krokro said:
DFA123 said:
Netserk said:
I guess he had bad legs.

FFS, he punctured (or had a mechanical). Im sure of one thing, because I watched the race, it was not due to bad legs. But keep convincing yourself, you are cute :)
Yeah, so did GVA - so does half the field in Roubaix. GVA still managed to get back in and win the race. Sagan didn't, because he didn't have the legs to get back on.

Anyway, the point is that GVA doesn't need Sagan to win a big race. The two of them work well together, that's all. Although if anything, Sagan stopped him from winning RVV last season as well when he inexplicably rode into a jacket.

Right, no difference between puncturing once and cozily riding through the caravan up to the peloton versus puncturing twice while on the attack.

tobydawq said:
DFA123 said:
Krokro said:
DFA123 said:
Netserk said:
I guess he had bad legs.

Right, no difference between puncturing once and cozily riding through the caravan up to the peloton versus puncturing twice while on the attack.
Of course there's a difference. Anyway, these details aren't really the point I was making. Which was responding to the fact that GVA doesn't need Sagan to win races - he's proved that at Roubaix and the Olympics.

Undoubtedly their racing style is mutually beneficial though, because they are both very strong rouleurs who will work together from a long way out. Perhaps it benefits GVA more, because he has the stronger sprint at the end of a hard race - and Sagan hasn't worked out good enough tactics to negate that yet.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I just found this funny with the ongoing discussion in the thread lol :D

FFS, he punctured (or had a mechanical). Im sure of one thing, because I watched the race, it was not due to bad legs. But keep convincing yourself, you are cute :)[/quote]

Anyway, the point is that GVA doesn't need Sagan to win a big race. The two of them work well together, that's all. Although if anything, Sagan stopped him from winning RVV last season as well when he inexplicably rode into a jacket.[/quote]

Right, no difference between puncturing once and cozily riding through the caravan up to the peloton versus puncturing twice while on the attack.[/quote]
Of course there's a difference. Anyway, these details aren't really the point I was making. Which was responding to the fact that GVA doesn't need Sagan to win races - he's proved that at Roubaix and the Olympics.

Undoubtedly their racing style is mutually beneficial though, because they are both very strong rouleurs who will work together from a long way out. Perhaps it benefits GVA more, because he has the stronger sprint at the end of a hard race - and Sagan hasn't worked out good enough tactics to negate that yet.[/quote]

the same b..t all over again :D

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site

DFA123 said:

Undoubtedly their racing style is mutually beneficial though, because they are both very strong rouleurs who will work together from a long way out. Perhaps it benefits GVA more, because he has the stronger sprint at the end of a hard race - and Sagan hasn't worked out good enough tactics to negate that yet.

Your bias posts are quite entertaining. :)

Where was Greg in the last World Championships in Bergen?
Where was Greg's stronger sprint?

Jano said:
DFA123 said:

yeah, looks like you didn't understand the words 'hard race'. Bergen was not a hard race - certainly not in the way that cobbled classics are.

We already know that Sagan is a very fast bunch sprinter after easy races.

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Jano said:
DFA123 said:

yeah, looks like you didn't understand the words 'hard race'. Bergen was not a hard race - certainly not in the way that cobbled classics are.

We already know that Sagan is a very fast bunch sprinter after easy races.
If Sagan wins, it is an easy race, if not it is a hard race.
I see...
As I said, entertaining :)

After review yesterday race, I confirmed that Sagan will rule coming cobble stone races.

Altitude Training just completed before Strade Bianche, strong form will arrive around MSR and keep for a month.
His team is strong collectively. I think they are stronger than QS.

Daniel Oss, Marcus Burghardt and Gregor Mühlberger have showed their hands.
Aleksejs Saramotins and Rüdiger Selig are also capable.
For races like MSR, Peter Kennaugh and Sam Bennett will provide big engine.

Sagan did well. Looks promising. First race in awhile after some hard training and he finishes in the top 10 in tough conditions. Also, well ahead of some of his biggest rivals in upcoming races. Team looks strong. Will be interesting to see what happens. Would be very happy too see him win 1 or 2 of the monuments this year.

It doesn't matter that the team is strong if they are going to use it as retardedly as yesterday.

They tried to be riding tactically fancifully when they should just have been riding on the front and kept the race more closed until 20 kilometres to go. Amador should have done the same but Bora had the numbers (incredible to be writing this sentence) and they threw away any chances of victory themselves no matter what they say.

Sagan's move up to the elite group at 50 to go looked immense and he will be difficult to live with the coming month and a half.

TRENDING THREADS