• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Isnt he first rider in history to won Roubaix and Ronde in rainbow? Correct me if I am wrong. If I remember it corectly Boonen won only Flanders in rainbow. But in history maybe someone done it. Anyway I am super happy right now. His biggest win so far. Sagan is building up some great palmares. Ronde, Roubaix,3wc 3x gw, E3, Kuurne, Brabantse pjil, 2x Quebec, Montreal, European road race title. 8 TDF + 4 Vuelta stages. Impressive.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
SKSemtex said:
Red Rick said:
If Sagan really wants to troll he enlists for Liege and starts tweeting about #striveforfive

He should definitely go there just for fun of it and help his teammates. Bora team could be quite strong there.
As long as they don't force Konrad to work for Majka in LBL once again...

Anybody knows if Kennaugh is riding this?

hrotha said:
Look at that, Boonen was right!
SKSemtex said:
I have a feeling Sagan could get rid of Dillier long time ago. they both new it and made kind of agreement. imho
I think Sagan still had huge reserve on the end.
I agree with this, and I think it was a mistake on Sagan's part. It's always better to get to the finish line on your own if you can, because that way you won't lose if you make a mistake or your rival is stronger than you anticipated. And if you puncture or whatever, you get a second chance instead of pretty much losing it all. I suspect Sagan was too scared of going solo on those final 15 km and having to fend off a pursuing group of contenders. It worked out well for him, but still, I consider it a mistake.

I think once he realized Dillier was willing to share the work Sagan knew the race was his and that they stood a better chance of staying away.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Keram said:
Isnt he first rider in history to won Roubaix and Ronde in rainbow? Correct me if I am wrong. If I remember it corectly Boonen won only Flanders in rainbow. But in history maybe someone done it. Anyway I am super happy right now. His biggest win so far. Sagan is building up some great palmares. Ronde, Roubaix,3wc 3x gw, E3, Kuurne, Brabantse pjil, 2x Quebec, Montreal, European road race title. 8 TDF + 4 Vuelta stages. Impressive.
I guess Hinault was first 37yrs. ago.

Im afraid he still is overrated, particularly in the mainstream media - experts and commentators, for example, stating he is the best cyclist of his generation really rubs me the wrong way. He clearly isn't at this moment. But I am glad that he finally abandoned whining and took the bulls by he horns, just like Boonen advised him to.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Im afraid he still is overrated, particularly in the mainstream media - experts and commentators, for example, stating he is the best cyclist of his generation really rubs me the wrong way. He clearly isn't at this moment. But I am glad that he finally abandoned whining and took the bulls by he horns, just like Boonen advised him to.

Who's the best rider of this generation?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Can't wait to read who you think the best cyclist of his generation is.

BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

Well, I rate all of Contador, Cancellara, Boonen, Nibali, Gilbert and Valverde higher than Sagan.

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

Well, I rate all of Contador, Cancellara, Boonen, Nibali, Gilbert and Valverde higher than Sagan.

That's not his generation though.

Re:

Keram said:
Isnt he first rider in history to won Roubaix and Ronde in rainbow? Correct me if I am wrong.
Whenever asking if a rider is the first to do something, always check if Merckx did it.

He did. Roubaix in 68 and Flanders in 75.

(With Sanremo in 72 and 75, Liege in 72 and 75 and Lombardy in 71 thrown in for good measure)

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

I think we have different definitions of generations :D

I definitely rate Contador, Cancellara, Boonen and Nibali higher than Sagan. Valverde probably too.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yes, but they are all way older than Sagan, his generation is probably the guys born around 1990.

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

They're all from a different generation, though?

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

The youngest in your list (Nibali) has like 5-6 years on Sagan, not to mention the others.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Parker said:
Keram said:
Isnt he first rider in history to won Roubaix and Ronde in rainbow? Correct me if I am wrong.
Whenever asking if a rider is the first to do something, always check if Merckx did it.

(With Sanremo in 72 and 75, Liege in 72 and 75 and Lombardy in 71 thrown in for good measure)
In rainbow jersey?

KGB said:
Keram said:
I guess Hinault was first 37yrs. ago.
Hinault never won Ronde.

Merckx won Roubaix in 1968 and Ronde in 1975 as WC.
Van Looy did the double in 1962 (and also won another Roubaix in 1961 as WC).

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Valv.Piti said:

Really?

Already for a few years, I have been thinking that Sagan is the best.

But then again, I already thought after PN 2010 that he would become the best rider in history. Which he might become if he isn't already. Which is a discussion I shall not delve into at the moment.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Yes, we got it. he will stop be overrated only if he smokes PITI on Mur de Huy or win GT.

KGB said:
Parker said:
Keram said:

In rainbow jersey?
Yes.

And Rik van Looy did the Flanders/Roubaix double in the jersey.

Right, I phrased it the wrong way... I meant some considered him better than all of those riders, scrap the generation-thing. And I really don't agree with that! I have no clue to why I wrote that.

In his generation he definitely is the best, but riders around his age probably aren't that great anyways - I suppose Quintana is the rider that comes the closest of those? A

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Right, I phrased it the wrong way... I meant some considered him better than all of those riders, scrap the generation-thing. And I really don't agree with that! I have no clue to why I wrote that.

In his generation he definitely is the best, but riders around his age probably aren't that great anyways - I suppose Quintana is the rider that comes the closest of those? A

What?? The 1990 generation must surely be the strongest of all time... Definitely the deepest.

Quintana, Kwiatkowski, Aru, Pinot, Bardet, Dumoulin, Chaves, Matthews, Felline, Naesen, Bonhauui, Dillier, Colbrelli, Phinney, Dennis, Bennetts...

TRENDING THREADS