• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Koronin said:
He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia. Also the Giro for GC? He has yet to be able to climb with the climbers.

You think he hasn’t been trying to win MSR with 2 2nd places and 6 top 10s in the last 7 years? I think you mean he has to actually win it, maybe? I don’t think working on his climbing will hurt his chances, especially given the winners of the last two editions.

There’s no doubt he can win any race on the one-day calendar if he sets his mind to it. I think a Ciclamino Jersey to complete the GT set would be another obvious target.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Koronin said:
He needs to try to win Milan-San Remo before he tries LBL or Lombardia. Also the Giro for GC? He has yet to be able to climb with the climbers.

You think he hasn’t been trying to win MSR with 2 2nd places and 6 top 10s in the last 7 years? I think you mean he has to actually win it, maybe? I don’t think working on his climbing will hurt his chances, especially given the winners of the last two editions.

There’s no doubt he can win any race on the one-day calendar if he sets his mind to it. I think a Ciclamino Jersey to complete the GT set would be another obvious target.

Ok you're right, he has been trying to win it. Yeah he needs to win it first before really going after LBL and Lombardi. Although Lombardi might be the better option as levels of riders are much more varied at the end of the year while there is a group that is peaking for the Ardennes.

I also think he may want to win Strade Bianche first as it's more of a mix between the less hilly classics and the more hilly classis even though it's not a classic or a monument.

He could definitely get the points jersey at the Giro.

He will not ride Giro for GC obviously :lol: I dont know how you get it from that press conference. It will be interesting how he will handle classics than Giro and Tour. Also interesting things about Lombardia and LBL. I think they are thinking about strive for five. I agree with MSR first. Also I really hope they wont screw up his sprinting. I dont want 2014 anymore. :mad:

Again, I don’t think winning LBL or Lombardia would in any way hurt his chances of winning MSR or Strade Bianche. Last year, he finished 2nd in San Remo to Kwiatkowski, who has won SB twice, Amstel once, and been on the podium in Liege. Of the 8 winners of MSR since Sagan’s been riding it, 5 of them have, between them, won all 4 other monuments and the Worlds. San Remo isn’t for the Petacchis and Cipollinis and Cavs any more, the Cipressa and Poggio are just raced too hard.

Of course it would be preferable for him to win MSR before a possible shift in focus. But nobody knows when that will happen, if ever, so I think it's a good call to try to go for the other monuments now. Being a little bit lighter will also help him in Strade Bianche.

On the other hand, I don't want to see him forgo the cobbled classics, and being lighter will obviously compromise his chances in them.

I don't want him to reach a 2014 limbo either, but I don't think that had to do with his weight, since he climbed much better in 2013. Before starting the Vuelta this year he spoke about his previous participations and said that he had had a virus of sorts when riding the race in 2014. I didn't know that at the time, but I only think that affected the last part of 2014 as he still was pretty awesome, albeit unlucky, in the Tour.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
I'm very curious when he'll drop tomorrow cause I really want to know when i can start laughing at the people who said he has a chance to win :D

Maybe his chances are very slim or close to none, but at least he has prepared for this race and to honor the rainbow jersey he has been wearing for three years he will give it all as the true champion and warrior that he is and only a moron would laugh at him for trying his best. :cool:

Jancouver said:
Gigs_98 said:
I'm very curious when he'll drop tomorrow cause I really want to know when i can start laughing at the people who said he has a chance to win :D

Maybe his chances are very slim or close to none, but at least he has prepared for this race and to honor the rainbow jersey he has been wearing for three years he will give it all as the true champion and warrior that he is and only a moron would laugh at him for trying his best. :cool:
I would definitely not laugh at Sagan and I applaud that he's doing this.

Jancouver said:
Gigs_98 said:

I don't laugh at Sagan, I have tremendous respect for him for focusing on a race he has basically no chance to win just to honor the rainbow stripes. My post was simply about how ridiculously often his name was mentioned in previews and predictions for a race that doesn't suit him one bit.

Gigs_98 said:
Jancouver said:
Gigs_98 said:

I don't laugh at Sagan, I have tremendous respect for him for focusing on a race he has basically no chance to win just to honor the rainbow stripes. My post was simply about how ridiculously often his name was mentioned in previews and predictions for a race that doesn't suit him one bit.
You don’t think people should talk about the 3-time-in-a-row defending World Champion on the eve of the World Championships? Sagan would be getting talked about no matter what course they had. The race could be repeats up and down the Zoncolan and he’d find some way of getting involved.