• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Koronin said:
I read that earlier today. I can't say I'm surprised. One of the reasons I read he gave is that he's away from home too much and doesn't like being gone that much. So yeah, I can see him going back to mountain bike racing after 2021.

He's also talking about disrespect in the peloton, whatever that might entail.

Let's see if he doesn't take 2022 too to go double-digits for number of points jerseys in the Tour.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
I read that earlier today. I can't say I'm surprised. One of the reasons I read he gave is that he's away from home too much and doesn't like being gone that much. So yeah, I can see him going back to mountain bike racing after 2021.

He's also talking about disrespect in the peloton, whatever that might entail.

Let's see if he doesn't take 2022 too to go double-digits for number of points jerseys in the Tour.

Yeah, I saw that as well, but have no clue what that's even supposed to mean.

Arnout said:
Riders often talk about ending careers a few years from now but when that time comes they tend to change their mind.

True, they do have a tendency to change their minds. Contador changed his mind before finally deciding it was time.

Re:

tobydawq said:
He's threatening to end his road career after 2021.

I can see it. What's left to win for him? Milan-San Remo, ok, a couple stages in the Giro would be nice, Strade Bianchi I suppose, Olympics maybe (which is always a gamble).
Why has he never started the Giro btw? Kind of a strange hole in his palmares.

To compete at the highest level in a sport as tough as road cycling just for the money you need a certain mentality that I don't think Sagan has.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

spalco said:
tobydawq said:

I can see it. What's left to win for him? Milan-San Remo, ok, a couple stages in the Giro would be nice, Strade Bianchi I suppose, Olympics maybe (which is always a gamble).

To compete at the highest level in a sport as tough as road cycling just for the money you need a certain mentality that I don't think Sagan has.
Because Specialized wants him, their biggest name, to appear in Cali, that's the problem.

Mayomaniac said:
spalco said:
tobydawq said:

Because Specialized wants him, their biggest name, to appear in Cali, that's the problem.

He also seems to quite enjoy racing in California.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Flanders-Roubaix double, monument treble, Amstel, Liege, double digit points jerseys, all monuments in career.
Think he'd have a small chance at Liege, depending on the new route.

Lombardia is out of question, especially with recent routes.

2014 would be the only route he could win on, and that route should never happen again

For Sagan, the Worlds RR record should be the most obvious accomplishment

It'll be interesting to see him at Liege, but I don't think he has any realistic shot at winning it, esp if it's raced hard like it was this year. As for winning, I think Valverde has a better shot at winning Flanders than Sagan has at winning Liege.

There are plenty of things for Sagan to go after, and MSR seems like it's a better goal for him than Liege would be.

Re:

Koronin said:
It'll be interesting to see him at Liege, but I don't think he has any realistic shot at winning it, esp if it's raced hard like it was this year. As for winning, I think Valverde has a better shot at winning Flanders than Sagan has at winning Liege.

There are plenty of things for Sagan to go after, and MSR seems like it's a better goal for him than Liege would be.

But it wouldn't be that surprising if he is a little bit tired of the randomness of MSR. After all, he has placed top 12 every year since 2012.

That time was maybe his best shot, but his stunt against Nibali in Chieti the previous week in Tirreno probably assured that he wasn't allowed to try catching the front trio on the descent of the Poggio, which was mind-numbingly stupid and frustrating to watch.

Then of course, he screwed it up himself the following year by underestimating Ciolek. In 2014 and 2015 he wasn't good nor fast enough and in 2016 Gaviria's idiocy made him miss another chance. Then came the sprint of Kwiato's life in 2017 and an anonymous 6th place this year.

He will never forgo the race but he is unlikely to peak for it as it's not a race where you need to be at peak to win because of the randomness. Better to be stronger for the other monuments.

As for his chances at LIège, it's pretty difficult to provide an educated opinion when they haven't revealed the new route yet.

TRENDING THREADS