• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Sagan is still good but a bit too heavy for these finishes.

Matthews and GVA tend to have an edge on him. But "Retro Sagan" would have smoked them both.

Well, with Bling in thise form, the green might not be sewn up already and we get some battle for the green at least until the 3rd week. But Bling will have to follow sagan into every break, which I am not sure he can do day after day.

Re: Re:

tomorrow said:
Velolover2 said:
Sagan is still good but a bit too heavy for these finishes.

Matthews and GVA tend to have an edge on him. But "Retro Sagan" would have smoked them both.

Well, with Bling in thise form, the green might not be sewn up already and we get some battle for the green at least until the 3rd week. But Bling will have to follow sagan into every break, which I am not sure he can do day after day.

I suspect Sagan will wear him down but it is fun to hope Matthew's will fight with him to Paris, with his additional training for supporting Tom D he might be able to out climb Sagan even and get some unexpected points

Re:

tobydawq said:
His sprint today makes me so even more annoyed that he lost in Milan-Sanremo.
I think it makes it more likely that his Performance or lack thereof was to blame on weightloss due to illness/late effects of TdF-crash/whatever (not to Take anything away from Alas amazing Performance there) rather then Motivation/decline, which is of course a great sign. Although it ist a Bit frustrating, agreed.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I will just leave it here for posterity:

Little statistics for Peter Sagan

Tour De France

134 stages - 2012 to 2019 (5 stages so far)

120 stages in total excluding TTT or ITT

12 wins = 10%
44 podiums (TOP 3) = 36.6%
70 Top 10s = 58.3%

Top 10 in more than half of stages and on podium every 3rd stage. In TdF.

Phenomenal.

Life statistic

862 race days (-73 TTs)

113 wins = 14.3%
443 Top 10s = 56.1%

Top 10 in more than half of his race days in 9 seasons and still going...

One of a kind.

Re:

Gorecki said:
I will just leave it here for posterity:

Little statistics for Peter Sagan

Tour De France

134 stages - 2012 to 2019 (5 stages so far)

120 stages in total excluding TTT or ITT

12 wins = 10%
44 podiums (TOP 3) = 36.6%
70 Top 10s = 58.3%

Top 10 in more than half of stages and on podium every 3rd stage. In TdF.

Phenomenal.

Life statistic

862 race days (-73 TTs)

113 wins = 14.3%
443 Top 10s = 56.1%

Top 10 in more than half of his race days in 9 seasons and still going...

One of a kind.

Phenomenal numbers, one of a kind indeed.

I'm curious what would be Valverde's numbers? He has a ton of podiums and top 10 places also...

Nice stats above. Thanks for bringing.

Congrats to Peter. It looks that I have to stop watching cycling completely or at least live.
Anytime I am watching he is loosing. Yesterday I skipped he won. :lol:

It remains me my fanboyism experiences from autumn 2013-summer 2015 when I was traveling across all of Europe to see him live and to see hem losing. :sad: Firenze, MSR, Ronde, PR, TDF; Ponferrada.

I almost bought the ticket to Richmond. :D . He was quite lucky I did not go.

EDIT. He was even able to lose the sprint against Stibar in Nationals when I was there.

SKSemtex said:

Congrats to Peter. It looks that I have to stop watching cycling completely or at least live.

It remains me my fanboyism experiences from autumn 2013-summer 2015 when I was traveling across all of Europe to see him live and to see hem losing. :sad: Firenze, MSR, Ronde, PR, TDF; Ponferrada.

EDIT. He was even able to lose the sprint against Stibar in Nationals when I was there.

Same for me, however if you mean the national in Slavkov, it can hardly be considered a sprint. They next to each other both winning their part of the nationals.

Feb 25, 2018
Visit site
SKSemtex said:

I feel for you :D I have very similar experience when I visit away matches of our national football team or hockey WC games :) And when I place a bet on Sagan he never wins. Yesterday, I did not.

I wonder, if his finishes up the tourmalet and prat d'albi and the time he lost there were sign of a fatigue or he's just trying to save as much energy as possible for the coming stages and maybe to win in Paris, he doesn't have that in his palmares yet. He was slower then Groenewegen and other non climbing sprinters, so it's weird.

Re:

tomorrow said:
I wonder, if his finishes up the tourmalet and prat d'albi and the time he lost there were sign of a fatigue or he's just trying to save as much energy as possible for the coming stages and maybe to win in Paris, he doesn't have that in his palmares yet. He was slower then Groenewegen and other non climbing sprinters, so it's weird.

He is definitely trying to save energy. He aims for stages 16, 17 and 21. Moreover he may be expected to work for Buchmann/Konrad (recall his work for Kreuziger in 2016).

As he was giving autographs and doing wheelies on Tourmalet I do not think that he is totally spent.

Definitely saving energy for next couple of stages. I doubt Bora will try to control break in 17th stage because they need to look after Buchmann so i think he will try to win it from break. Col de la Sentinelle is not hard enough to drop rested Sagan in 3rd week of Grand Tour so he will fancy his chances pretty much i suppose.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

boneshaker said:
tomorrow said:

He is definitely trying to save energy. He aims for stages 16, 17 and 21. Moreover he may be expected to work for Buchmann/Konrad (recall his work for Kreuziger in 2016).

As he was giving autographs and doing wheelies on Tourmalet I do not think that he is totally spent.
How is giving autograhps and doing wheelies sign of not being fatigued? Both requieres almost zero energy to do. Nobody said he was dying there.

TRENDING THREADS