• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To win the three you have to finish them...IMO Sagan would need to start his season later, forget some races that he can win to be fresh at Il Giro, overcome the third week, saddle up for Le Tour, what about OG when La Vuelta looms? Then the WRRC. Even Valverde would not be able to peak for that long.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
To win the three you have to finish them...IMO Sagan would need to start his season later, forget some races that he can win to be fresh at Il Giro, overcome the third week, saddle up for Le Tour, what about OG when La Vuelta looms? Then the WRRC. Even Valverde would not be able to peak for that long.

2016 Valverde did his normal spring schedule, then Giro, Spanish National Championships, Tour, San Sebastian, Olympics, Vuelta, Lombardia. Had a decent, but not typical spring. He did get his Giro stage win and podium. Then top 10 at the Tour and finished 12th at la Vuelta. Basically proving that it's impossible for a GC rider today to get a top 10 in all 3 Grand Tours in the same season. Now Sagan would obviously not be going for GC in the Grand Tours, but the points jersey. I agree that would still be difficult, however, it may be more likely than the GC top 10 in all 3. Now Valverde did say after la Vuelta that year that racing all 3 Grand Tours in one season was too much even for him. So apply that to Sagan how you will. If anyone in the current peloton can get the points jersey in all 3 it would be Sagan, however, it's more difficult at la Vuelta as many times a GC rider ends up winning it. Remember Valverde has 4 of them and he's tied with Kelly for the most green jersey's for la Vuelta. I would give Sagan a chance to win all 3 in one season the same way I believed that Valverde had a legitimate chance to finish top 10 in all 3 in one season.

Last edited:
Reactions: hayneplane
I'd like to see him in pink but he has to do a very good prologue. A top 10 at the very least. He is quite unpredictable in the time trials. Even the short ones. But the length and mild hill suits him well.

The Hungarian stages are for the pure sprinters. There is always somebody faster than him but the Agrigento stage is a perfect opportunity to take his first win and the pink jersey.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
I’m bit off a Sagan fanboy. Think one off best riders in the last ten years. Gilbert has to be up there.
The whole peter Sagan an Milan san remo monument has me on the edge off my seat. I can’t believe he has never won it.
could off had three wins. I think he has a mental Block on it since his first year. Will
He ever win it? I hope so.
will Van Avermaet ever win Flanders?
will Valverde win his fave monument?

i think Sagan has three more chances to win it. If he won it in 2017 he would off won three monuments as world champion.
for me he needs this to complete his c.v.
boonen won p-r and rvv
Cancellara won p-r rvv and msr.

Sagan's issue with MSR is the same issue that Gilbert has. It's a lottery. Most riders who start are capable of winning it depending on how the race plays out. Remember MSR is the only monument that Gilbert hasn't won. Can Sagan win it, yes, but things have to play out correctly for him.

Valverde has won LBL 4 times, but doesn't have a "favorite" monument. He doesn't like MSR, has no interest in ever racing Paris-Roubiax, and likely won't race Flanders again. His only comment about Lombardia is that is along with the Olympics are about the only things missing from his palmares. The only 1 day race Valverde ever had an obsession with was the Worlds and that was the one race he really wanted. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Sagan's issue with MSR is the same issue that Gilbert has. It's a lottery. Most riders who start are capable of winning it depending on how the race plays out. Remember MSR is the only monument that Gilbert hasn't won. Can Sagan win it, yes, but things have to play out correctly for him.

Valverde has won LBL 4 times, but doesn't have a "favorite" monument. He doesn't like MSR, has no interest in ever racing Paris-Roubiax, and likely won't race Flanders again. His only comment about Lombardia is that is along with the Olympics are about the only things missing from his palmares. The only 1 day race Valverde ever had an obsession with was the Worlds and that was the one race he really wanted. So I'm not sure what you're referring to.

It may be a bit of a lottery but Sagan certainly has more tickets than most other riders.

In fact, I think he would already have won it in 2012, if he hadn't been a bit too greedy and stolen a stage victory from Nibali in Tirreno-Adriatico. That likely was the reason for Liquigas' absolutely insane tactics in MSR where Sagan was not allowed to try to bridge up to the leading group where Nibali didn't stand a single chance of beating either of Gerrans or Cancellara. And sure enough, Nibali was a certain third, just as Sagan was a certain fourth.

That may actually be one of the reasons why I don't like Nibali very much.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
I know. Velarde wanted Lombardia that’s what I meant . Like Van Avermaet wants Flanders

msr is a lottery. It’s a near 7 hour bike race decided in about two minutes.
Even tho Eddie m won it 7 times.
there’s a couple guys won it three times.

is there a monument thread? SorrY

I know. Velarde wanted Lombardia that’s what I meant . Like Van Avermaet wants Flanders

msr is a lottery. It’s a near 7 hour bike race decided in about two minutes.
Even tho Eddie m won it 7 times.
there’s a couple guys won it three times.

is there a monument thread? SorrY

Ah, he was disappointed to have not won Lombardi this year because he was in such good shape and felt it was his best chance to win it. I wouldn't call it his favorite monument.

As Tobydawq stated, although MSR is a lottery Sagan does have more tickets than many other riders have.

There's a few threads with Monument in the title. If you go to the search feature on the side bar you can search for monument and click the box for thread title only then also highlight Professional Road Racing forum and you can see if one of those fits what you're looking for.

Last edited:
It seems Sagan´s season will end after the olympics. I dont think it is wise decision to end season in early August but his season is backloaded with Giro. Interseting thing is that Ackermann is going to ride the Giro and not the Tour. I thought Giro point jersey is in plans and not Tour green but it seems it will be reversal.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Here is the article mentioned above.

Could Bora go to the Giro with the goal of stage wins for Ackermann and the points jersey for Sagan? Is this similar to Sky showing up with two leaders and supporting each? Ackermann fighting for stages with more leadout support theoretically could happen in parallel to Sagan getting placings and intermediate points to target the points competition. Of course this might create the bizarre sight of Sagan surfing wheels alongside a Bora leadout. And not only would Ackermann not have complete support for a maglia ciclamino defense, but it would be going to a teammate.

As for ending the season after the Olympics, I'm not sure what he is missing other than the Vuelta — he probably is not interested in 3 GTs in one season, the Canadian races — where he might like to pick up more wins but are certainly not his greatest priority, and Worlds — which is not a realistic goal for Sagan.

As for ending the season after the Olympics, I'm not sure what he is missing other than the Vuelta — he probably is not interested in 3 GTs in one season, the Canadian races — where he might like to pick up more wins but are certainly not his greatest priority, and Worlds — which is not a realistic goal for Sagan.

Yes he has not any realistic goal after the Tour. I fear this huge break between seasons will cost him some shape at spring 2021. If I am correct the olympic race is 25.7.2020. It is whole half a year in off season. He maybe should give himself some racing days in september. Binck Bank + eurochamps+ Tour of Slovakia seems reasonable to me.

Was thinking about Sagan and this last year, Seems he has lost some punch, and the win total reflects that.

Coincidentally this last year he was forced to ride disc brake wheels all year.

Yes heavier wheels do impact performance.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
Yeah I noticed. On Paris Roubaix he won on rim brakes last year. Then this year he’s back on discs for it ?
Is disc brakes needed for P-r?
He’s probably paid to ride what bikes they say.(sponsors) Rather than what he wants.

Yes he has not any realistic goal after the Tour. I fear this huge break between seasons will cost him some shape at spring 2021. If I am correct the olympic race is 25.7.2020. It is whole half a year in off season. He maybe should give himself some racing days in september. Binck Bank + eurochamps+ Tour of Slovakia seems reasonable to me.

According to internet discussions in Slovakia the announced plan is the plan of races till OG. What races he will participate in after OG will be decided later.

TRENDING THREADS