• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 25, 2018
Wuhuu, he'll finally do the Giro! The Tour is also on the cards!

Ackermann must be thrilled...
I already can't wait. Many Slovaks will be in Hungary especially during first 2 stages.

If Sagan wants to ride ORR I won't be surprised if he goes to the Tour just in the role of superdomestique for Ackermann and Buchmann. He has the green jersey record, he has won 12 Tour stages, he doesn't need to prove anything there. I also wonder how will his classics schedule look like.

He is not going to the Tour just to ride around, he never does that in any race outside January.

The last time a rider won the points jersey in both Giro and Tour in the same year was Abdoujaparov in 1994. That would be a pretty cool thing to do.

Regarding classics I would expect maybe Strade and then MSR, E3, GW, Flanders and Roubaix, and no Ardennes.

Reactions: Koronin
As I said this summer I think he'll go to the Giro because Buchmann wants more support and the team want Ackermann at the Tour so no room for his support, if he'll go to the Tour after the Giro will likely be PR and supporting role. Also the press release says a lot with Denk talking about stages and points jersey at the Giro but only "French fans shouldn't worry because will be also there" regarding the Tour.

Anyway he could still opt out the Tour citing fatigue and reschedule like Roglic has done this year if he doesn't want to go in France as support. Cobbles classics + Giro is probably one of the hardest combinations possible, look at Jungels this year that basically disappeared or Trentin in 2016 that said he was dead and needed two months without riding to recover, so he has a very valid excuse.

I already can't wait. Many Slovaks will be in Hungary especially during first 2 stages.

If Sagan wants to ride ORR I won't be surprised if he goes to the Tour just in the role of superdomestique for Ackermann and Buchmann. He has the green jersey record, he has won 12 Tour stages, he doesn't need to prove anything there. I also wonder how will his classics schedule look like.
god why would you think he can do anything in ORR? It will be even less suitable to him than RIO

To win the three you have to finish them...IMO Sagan would need to start his season later, forget some races that he can win to be fresh at Il Giro, overcome the third week, saddle up for Le Tour, what about OG when La Vuelta looms? Then the WRRC. Even Valverde would not be able to peak for that long.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
To win the three you have to finish them...IMO Sagan would need to start his season later, forget some races that he can win to be fresh at Il Giro, overcome the third week, saddle up for Le Tour, what about OG when La Vuelta looms? Then the WRRC. Even Valverde would not be able to peak for that long.

2016 Valverde did his normal spring schedule, then Giro, Spanish National Championships, Tour, San Sebastian, Olympics, Vuelta, Lombardia. Had a decent, but not typical spring. He did get his Giro stage win and podium. Then top 10 at the Tour and finished 12th at la Vuelta. Basically proving that it's impossible for a GC rider today to get a top 10 in all 3 Grand Tours in the same season. Now Sagan would obviously not be going for GC in the Grand Tours, but the points jersey. I agree that would still be difficult, however, it may be more likely than the GC top 10 in all 3. Now Valverde did say after la Vuelta that year that racing all 3 Grand Tours in one season was too much even for him. So apply that to Sagan how you will. If anyone in the current peloton can get the points jersey in all 3 it would be Sagan, however, it's more difficult at la Vuelta as many times a GC rider ends up winning it. Remember Valverde has 4 of them and he's tied with Kelly for the most green jersey's for la Vuelta. I would give Sagan a chance to win all 3 in one season the same way I believed that Valverde had a legitimate chance to finish top 10 in all 3 in one season.

Last edited:
Reactions: hayneplane
I'd like to see him in pink but he has to do a very good prologue. A top 10 at the very least. He is quite unpredictable in the time trials. Even the short ones. But the length and mild hill suits him well.

The Hungarian stages are for the pure sprinters. There is always somebody faster than him but the Agrigento stage is a perfect opportunity to take his first win and the pink jersey.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS