• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 204 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's not like the other four ride every race with him. Juraj for example has only ever started one GT where he quite quickly missed the time limit...

Some people are saying that it was his duty that day

I don't really see any stages where Sagan will score and the other sprinters won't so him winning green seems massively unlikely.
I wouldn't say "massively" unlikely, he'll just have to work harder for it. He is still one of the most consistent sprinters in the peloton, and he'll finish top 5 in most stages/intermediates, where others will fluctuate from 1st to 20th. Last year's course was perfect for Bennett, Bennett won almost every head to head between the 2, and Sagan got relegated from 2nd place on stage 11, but still the jersey was mathematically up for grabs on the Champs Elysees. So this year could be more of the same, which would be great.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wouldn't say "massively" unlikely, he'll just have to work harder for it. He is still one of the most consistent sprinters in the peloton, and he'll finish top 5 in most stages/intermediates, where others will fluctuate from 1st to 20th. Last year's course was perfect for Bennett, Bennett won almost every head to head between the 2, and Sagan got relegated from 2nd place on stage 11, but still the jersey was mathematically up for grabs on the Champs Elysees. So this year could be more of the same, which would be great.
Van der Poel is gonna be a tough nut to crack though. Could be a very fun battle!

Van der Poel is gonna be a tough nut to crack though. Could be a very fun battle!

If van der Poel goes for green he will win it with ease. However I don't expect him to. I suppose he will try to win as many stages as possible, but not contest the intermediate sprints (and maybe even drop out early). Since Bora will do everything to get the points there, Sagan will win green, unless Bahrain goes in for Colbrelli, but their team doesn't look like they will.

If van der Poel goes for green he will win it with ease. However I don't expect him to. I suppose he will try to win as many stages as possible, but not contest the intermediate sprints (and maybe even drop out early). Since Bora will do everything to get the points there, Sagan will win green, unless Bahrain goes in for Colbrelli, but their team doesn't look like they will.
As far as I know, Alpecin is "forcing" VdP to complete the Tour, and knowing VdP he probably can't help himself then. I think he'll go for it. Colbrelli is another good call for sure, if Bahrain lets him loose. It was disastrous to see him on such a tight leash last year.

MVP is massively talented. Peter Sagan...motivated to undo the humiliation of last year's relegation "win" by Sam Bennett will be trying very hard to make every moment count. He's spent other Tours doing bottle duty because he's had a good lead in the jersey points but I think that ends with this GT. How it works out for all is going to be interesting and Sagan flourishes when there are multiple contenders.

It will be a very exciting battle for green jersey and stages with VdP and Allaphillipe. One of the most interesting things of this Tour.

No way Van der Poel goes for green this year he will try to win the first two stages and then work for Merlier in the flat stages before likely retiring on the last rest day to arrive earlier in Tokyo .

As for Alaphilippe he won't contest bunch sprints with Bennett on the team either so no green for him as well

The biggest Sagan rivals will be Demare, Bennett (if fit), Colbrelli, Matthews and Ewan (if he doesn't quit the race to prepare for La Vuelta).

No way Van der Poel goes for green this year he will try to win the first two stages and then work for Merlier in the flat stages before likely retiring on the last rest day to arrive earlier in Tokyo .

As for Alaphilippe he won't contest bunch sprints with Bennett on the team either so no green for him as well

The biggest Sagan rivals will be Demare, Bennett (if fit), Colbrelli, Matthews and Ewan (if he doesn't quit the race to prepare for La Vuelta).

I could see Ewen going to Veulta and trying to win stages in all the GTs in one calendar year. He could have 7 or 8 sprint wins in GTs, that way, also abandon the Veulta as well as the TDF and Giro. Ewen could get an amazing haul of wins and not care what anyone thinks about leaving GTs. He might think about green or other sprint jerseys later in his career.

I don't see Ewen as a competitor for the Green but could steal 50 point wins making it easier for Sagan.