• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Phil and Paul

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Sherwin once more using the old `touch the brakes and you'll lose 10-15 places' one, surely he can think of something else to say in the last 5 kms?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
Great final 200m from Phil today.

Yep it was a brilliant piece of commentating.

"And you'll never catch Cavendish at this stage of the race and Marcel Kittel gets three wins at this years tour"

He appears to be trying to commentate to a pre ordained script in the finishes at times and when it goes wrong it can look a bit silly.

I also found his comments comparing the peloton to horses in the derby earlier in the stage to be very odd. Something about how the riders were spread across the road the way that the horses were separated by a fence.

yes that comment re the derby was bizarre! sometimes horses in sprint races (not the derby) race on opposite sides of the track (in a vaguely similar fashion to cycling sprint trains on either side of the road), but not sure about the 'fence' bit!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
He hasn't done terrible on the climbs, bad TT yes, but not bad on the climbs. He hung with the front group the whole way on stage 9, and most of the way up ax3 (don't forget everyone was dropped there at some point).

For once I would actually agree with Sherwen, he's doing well thus far this Tour. He won't win or podium it, but it's wishful thinking to think he would have anyways.

He is a pure climber who has 'won' the Tour. Sherwen likes us to keep reminding us of that. I don't think you can really describe that as a good Tour when he is getting dropped on those climbs. I never thought he would do that well in the Tour but if you are going to talk him up as a former Tour winner, then such a result is disappointing and not a good Tour.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He is a pure climber who has 'won' the Tour. Sherwen likes us to keep reminding us of that. I don't think you can really describe that as a good Tour when he is getting dropped on those climbs. I never thought he would do that well in the Tour but if you are going to talk him up as a former Tour winner, then such a result is disappointing and not a good Tour.

I haven't heard Sherwen hyping him up much, then again I don't pay too much attention to what they say anymore. :p He is doing very well this Tour for what he's been through this and last year. But I would agree, Phil and Paul definitely talk up some riders way too much.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
According to Phil today "the first hour was raced at 38.2 kph, the second at 38.2 kph.. That's an average of 38.8 kph" and Kwiatowski was "leading the competition" Now obviously he meant the White jersey competition but if he is catering for casual fans then, to quote Paul when the Orica rider slid off at the roundabout: "he has just put confusion on the shoulders of his teammates"

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Carlo Algatrensig said:
Yep it was a brilliant piece of commentating.

"And you'll never catch Cavendish at this stage of the race and Marcel Kittel gets three wins at this years tour"

He appears to be trying to commentate to a pre ordained script in the finishes at times and when it goes wrong it can look a bit silly.

I also found his comments comparing the peloton to horses in the derby earlier in the stage to be very odd. Something about how the riders were spread across the road the way that the horses were separated by a fence.

Im still laughing my @ss off from this sentence! :p

And Phil believes that Sky riding on the leeward side of the road is "the safest" place to be, slammed all the way to the right and hugging the asphalt.

As anyone who's ever been in a hard echelon knows, while being on the tail is the most sheltered, it's also the place you're likely to get slammed into the curb, or muscled off onto the shoulder.

When you're back there, it's either try to squeeze one more rider in on the edge of the pavement, or be forced to start a new echelon.

Not sure if you guys are aware of this, but you can save 30% by drafting off the rider in front of you.

Also tired of all this crap with every commentator, about how the lawyer tabs are causing these long slow wheel changes.

You know, with the proper finger spinning technique, I can get a wheel on and off with no difference in time change whether a tab is present or not.

I doubt any team mechanic always has every quick release exactly correct when the tabs were filed off that all they did was close it, and it was perfect....bullocks. They still fiddled and screwed with them, or weren't prepared.

Plus, you accidentally hit the skewer in the car, it turns around by itself etc...

But it is UCI's fault.

Oh, did you know the sprinters are always doing like 75kph? Yeah, right...how come we never get a radar gun on their speeds to prove this "myth" everybody loves to spread around.

Classic stuff from these guys though...like a broken record of bad information and facts. And I love all the prescripted sights and facts Paul has readily available off the top of his head...gheez...

zigmeister said:
Not sure if you guys are aware of this, but you can save 30% by drafting off the rider in front of you.

Also tired of all this crap with every commentator, about how the lawyer tabs are causing these long slow wheel changes.

You know, with the proper finger spinning technique, I can get a wheel on and off with no difference in time change whether a tab is present or not.

I doubt any team mechanic always has every quick release exactly correct when the tabs were filed off that all they did was close it, and it was perfect....bullocks. They still fiddled and screwed with them, or weren't prepared.

Plus, you accidentally hit the skewer in the car, it turns around by itself etc...

But it is UCI's fault.

Oh, did you know the sprinters are always doing like 75kph? Yeah, right...how come we never get a radar gun on their speeds to prove this "myth" everybody loves to spread around.

Classic stuff from these guys though...like a broken record of bad information and facts. And I love all the prescripted sights and facts Paul has readily available off the top of his head...gheez...

Wait till you reach Mont Ventoux & Alpe D'Huez. The comedy & "facts" will reach epic mythical legendary proportions.;)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday Paul said the name "Alberto Valverde"

Thank you Phil for reminding us that "literally every second counts in this the 100th edition of the tour dr France". So like this race is timed? Oh

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
"The grey squirrel isn't a squirrel at all"

Guys, it is better to say nothing and appear ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt.

US network cronies fear dead air. So literally every second counts hahaha

Bring back the helicopter noise NBC for gosh sakes

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
There were a few references to Richie Froome today too, cant be easy having to talk for so long.

Yep I counted two from Paul, and one from Phil and I didn't watch all of it. Phil also stated that nothing grows on Mont Ventoux while the camera was fixed on a clump of trees and bushes on, guess where, the upper slopes of Mont Ventoux.

MacRoadie said:
And Phil believes that Sky riding on the leeward side of the road is "the safest" place to be, slammed all the way to the right and hugging the asphalt.

As anyone who's ever been in a hard echelon knows, while being on the tail is the most sheltered, it's also the place you're likely to get slammed into the curb, or muscled off onto the shoulder.

When you're back there, it's either try to squeeze one more rider in on the edge of the pavement, or be forced to start a new echelon.
Didn't a rider (I believe it was Jeremy Roy) slam into a tree in crosswinds in the 2008 Tour?

Frosty said:
There were a few references to Richie Froome today too, cant be easy having to talk for so long.
Phil also made a reference to the Canadian Jack Bauer.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
I think those who are watching Phil & Paul should be paying extra for comedy content.:D:p

We pay heavily - accordian torture music repeated before and after every break, 5 mins of ads for 10 mins racing and then Phil and Paul. There is a comic element to it, the grey squirrel discussion was classic. Switch Chris Boardman for Phil and things could improve.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
rainman said:
We pay heavily - accordian torture music repeated before and after every break, 5 mins of ads for 10 mins racing and then Phil and Paul. There is a comic element to it, the grey squirrel discussion was classic. Switch Chris Boardman for Phil and things could improve.

The music they play after the ad breaks for nearly a minute on SBS is truly painful. We have missed some important moments in stages because of the SBS wanting to prostitute themselves as being technologically and musically savvy.

When Mikel Nieve attaked both Phil and Paul had no idea who it was. It's not as though he hasn't already attacked on stage 3, stage 8, and fluctuated within the top 20 on GC! Phil said he would guess it was Oroz or one of the Izagirre brothers - I was cringing!

Paul gave us a couple of mentions of the settlement of Boyaca (3000m altitude) as Quintana attacked - Paul just couldn't resist it. I think this line may become one of the sound tracks of the Alps...

climber_corbin said:
When Mikel Nieve attaked both Phil and Paul had no idea who it was. It's not as though he hasn't already attacked on stage 3, stage 8, and fluctuated within the top 20 on GC! Phil said he would guess it was Oroz or one of the Izagirre brothers - I was cringing!

Paul gave us a couple of mentions of the settlement of Boyaca (3000m altitude) as Quintana attacked - Paul just couldn't resist it. I think this line may become one of the sound tracks of the Alps...

But not without misidentifying it as Bogotá at least once. And when they caught Nieve as Contador tried to hold Froome's wheel, we were twice told that they had overtaken Quintana (or Kwintana)