• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Platform Pedals

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Not lately for me either, but I understand the question. I bought a new mountain bike last December and REALLY got into it--to the point which I stopped road biking for a while. I went over the bars (with platform pedals) while getting re-acclimated to riding on the dirt and riding tougher trails than ever before. I was riding platform pedals at the time, and (needless to say continued doing so for sometime after that...). But I noticed most other riders rode clipless pedals, so I gradually opened my mind back up to riding clipless--as scary and stupid as that seemed at first. A down-to-earth, low key guy who is the best mountain biker I know told me that you get to the point where you feel more scure clipped in than not. That didn't make sense to me at the time, but it was only a few months (surprisingly) until I felt the same way for 99% of the time. I rarely want to be clipped out, but I occasionally do when I'm not comfortable. And I'm riding, and cleaning, more technical trails (climbs and descents) than I ever did in my twenties (I'm 40). I think platforms are only really ideal for BMX or Downhill stuff. Never ridden a SS and plan on keeping it that way--my shifters work fine, thanks. My two cents; good luck and have fun, and be careful and safe. I took it really easy, gradually progressing and playing it safe but wound up progressing faster than I could have imagined. Everyone has their own comfort levels. A buddy I ride with rides motorcycles, so he is a lot more comfortable on the descents than me.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Not a noob question.

I ask because I recently put my DH platforms on my SS and used the Stiff Sole five10 sticky shoe I have as well.

I didnt feel the need for clip-less with the deep sharp pins and gummy sole as I pulled through the stroke well. IT was fun fast and easy.

Heavier though. Sole isnt carbon stiff. that slow momentum climb clipless were missed a bit but a remount was easy to get to momentum

but varied foot positions were surprisingly comfortable on technical climbs and descending

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
jae2460 said:
Never ridden a SS and plan on keeping it that way--my shifters work fine, thanks.

I think "SS" in this context means "slope style", not single speed. As to what slope style means, I couldn't tell you.

It would need to be a pretty hairy downhill section before I'd prefer platforms pedals to clipless, but I suspect that's more psychological than anything. Apparently the top ten of the downhill circuit is split between clipless and platform, so clearly it's not the gear that's the issue but the rider's preference.

I don't like the way my feet pop off platform pedals. I feel more secure clipped in and I'm sure that I'm able to climb over technical stuff (roots and rocks) better clipped in. And if there's any long uphill slog it sure is more enjoyable clipped in, but that might just be my roadie background coming out.

There are spd platform pedals out there. I've been thinking of picking up a pair to see how they feel and if they're a best of both worlds. Unfortunately, they might just be a worst of both words...

+1 to Rip:30... it is frustrating trying to clip back in if you're ripping it...

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
awesome you rock it

Awwww, but man, I just couldn't resist!

Ya, I understand the thot behind the question, I see there are a few real answers, not sarcasm like mine! But, you got to admit, compared to what goes on around here, that was pretty lite-weight for giving a bit of a hard time!

When I last rode cyclocross - a few years ago (coff,coff) - I rode with clips, and I agreed with the thot of someone else's anecdote here - I felt safer that way.

IMO, the only reasons to not use clips is for "different foot positions" and/or sticking out a foot to drift through a corner. Neither one has much use in cyclocross, and I'm not inclined to agree with an opinion that they are useful for BMX. You can drift without the foot, and if you really need a foot to give you a correction, you probably made a mistake, anyway. The couple seconds you gain from not clipping in are quickly lost down the road. As for different foot positions for managing air, or whoop-de-dos, or whatever, I just can't see the usefulness. It's been a long time since I did anything with BMX, too, so clips may have caught on there. I do remember, back when I was involved in BMX, that this topic was hot, kinda like the helmet wars, and the body of BMX opinion was against clips. However, you also have to realize that that segment of cycling was very much separate from road, or even mountain-biking. There just wasn't much crossover until somewhat later.

Clipping in gave me greater control of the bike, in every situation. If you are using platforms, but with some intermediate system that gives you some clipped benefits, that's fine, it is part of the way back to clipping in, ya?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to Single Speed

Slope Style is like dirt jumping on roids. Build a big gravity park at a ski resort and you run it like a skate competition. Tricks are scored etc

I don't know anyone who rides clipped in slope style with all the bar spins and tail whips etc.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Awwww, but man, I just couldn't resist!

Ya, I understand the thot behind the question, I see there are a few real answers, not sarcasm like mine! But, you got to admit, compared to what goes on around here, that was pretty lite-weight for giving a bit of a hard time!

When I last rode cyclocross - a few years ago (coff,coff) - I rode with clips, and I agreed with the thot of someone else's anecdote here - I felt safer that way.

IMO, the only reasons to not use clips is for "different foot positions" and/or sticking out a foot to drift through a corner. Neither one has much use in cyclocross, and I'm not inclined to agree with an opinion that they are useful for BMX. You can drift without the foot, and if you really need a foot to give you a correction, you probably made a mistake, anyway. The couple seconds you gain from not clipping in are quickly lost down the road. As for different foot positions for managing air, or whoop-de-dos, or whatever, I just can't see the usefulness. It's been a long time since I did anything with BMX, too, so clips may have caught on there. I do remember, back when I was involved in BMX, that this topic was hot, kinda like the helmet wars, and the body of BMX opinion was against clips. However, you also have to realize that that segment of cycling was very much separate from road, or even mountain-biking. There just wasn't much crossover until somewhat later.

Clipping in gave me greater control of the bike, in every situation. If you are using platforms, but with some intermediate system that gives you some clipped benefits, that's fine, it is part of the way back to clipping in, ya?

I was clicking in and out on a SS when I lost momentum on some climbs (29er btw) so I put the 5Ten shoes on and the nail pedals and was able to dismount easy and remount and get to momentum before clicking in and still have grip. Conversely, once rolling I miss the clips on those little sections where you need to pull through to get over momentum killing stair case type stuff

there was added freedom to the process. Like no gears it is nice to ride with out noise and distraction. but you can't measure that or demonstrate it in a thread

the Five10 shoes are the old Intense type DH shoe

I was actually thinking about using the DH pedals and shoes for Cross given I have to dismount all the time....;)

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Anyone run platform pedals for XC and SS?

Don't ride SS but do run platforms on my MTBs (both AM FS and XC HT). As well as being a coward (I like to be able to get a foot down quickly when it's steep and technical or loose), I also find my shoes don't let me mount the cleat rearward enough (I still have calf weakness after rupturing my achilles last year and need a more mid-foot position to control it adequately on sharp hits).
I do miss being clipped in when it's fast and bumpy but otherwise non-technical. On the HT particularly it can be hard keeping feet on the pedals over extended staircase-like descents.
I also miss the efficiency of spds for extended climbing, but don't really find flats limiting for technical climbing - I'm certainly much more prepared to attack the really technical climbs when I don't have to worry about whether I will unclip in time should it go wrong.
Most likely I will put some spds back on my HT this summer and keep running flats on my FS bike for the bigger steeper rides.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
phlatties said:
skill check...can you bunny hop, j hop, and jump w/o clipless? no? better clip in then.

if you answered no then you should practice until you can, IMHO. jumping is especially best learned on flats.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
phlatties said:
skill check...can you bunny hop, j hop, and jump w/o clipless? no? better clip in then.

Jumping with clipless is quite limited actually. If you have any questions we can exchange photos via email or pm and really see your so called skills. bunny hop? did you actually say that? on the internet? ha

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
2beeDammed said:
I race with Eggbeaters on my SS. Never considered platform as I can't see them having any advantage.

I concur. But can you quantify this statement?

Is there a measurable table or case study?

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I rode platforms in the mid 80s then people started using toe clips and it seemed to be a pretty good idea. Then technology continued it's relentless advance and "clipless" (as in toeclippless) came along and I haven't used toe clips since.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
I concur. But can you quantify this statement?

Is there a measurable table or case study?

Not that I'm aware of. I imagine that being clipped in helps enable you to pull during the recovery phase of the stroke.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I am not so sure this post was intended to pit one against the other and I an not suggesting one is better than the other

Nor am I looking for advice on how to ride a bike, allow me to suggest that I have a little experience over the years.

I am talking about my fiveTEN stickey sole Free Ride shoes used for DH and FreeRide. The stuff made for shuttle runs AND those platform pedal with wicked studs in them.

By accident I found them to be quite pedal efficient and allowed for more freedom.

As I age I guess the quiet ride and mechanical/maintenance free ease of SS is awesome. Add in no clips and it puts all the emphasis back on the ride. For me anyway. Throw in the 29 hoops, rigid and tubleless I can roll over and longer than before; forced to pick my lines carefully. The ability to have the stick of the gummy sole on nails was a surprise to me and pedaling was efficient.

So I run DH pedals and shoes on my rigid SS 29. Call me a hippy
120705funn2.jpg

review of the shoe fyi
http://www.nsmb.com/3303-kibbles-n-bits

@bunnyhopper- Dude can you manual a 29er?

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
totally understand where you are coming from, I too ride/race a SS rigid and much for the same reasons as you. It's a minimalist thing that's happened as I get older. I can see your point about the pedals just never tried it or even given the idea much thought until now. I mainly race enduro 24 hour type events these days and to be honest, clipping into the eggbeaters when fatigued does give me the ****s at times.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on trail condition for normally rides (mud or ice means platforms), but for races or group rides I like to stick with clipless when possible.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be best to know how to ride both. I am a mountain biker and rode clipless pedals for my 1st 12 years or so. I even learned to ride technical dh clipped in (1st few years were rough as I didn't have a dh bike then).

Last year I decided to go with platforms for dh, and figured I would lean to dj too.What I learned from that was I didn't know how to bunny hop, and was missing other skills that platforms would have forced me to learn after that much time. I used to bunny hop using my feet.