• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Pogačar as GOAT: already, never, or when?

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

As of June 2024, can Pogacar be considered GOAT?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Just like Van der poel is a part time rider. The other riders should thank god for that.
But his focus is on road racing. Pogacar didn't defend his title in Flanders to be in top shape for the Giro-Tour double. Where is MVP missing monuments to prepare XC races? Another good example is Tour de France. MVP rides the Tour to prepare worlds (2023) and Olympics (2024), Pogi races to win the Tour. Of course MVP is preparing a lot better those classics (I still think Pogi would not have a chance of winning in Glasgow even if he was in peak shape).

Funny thing is that Pogacar is better Grand Tour rider than Vingegaard because he has more GT wins, but somehow he is also better than Van Der Poel in classics races while having less wins.
MVP is almost 4 years older. In the end we will see who he is the better classics rider. I don't mind MVP being better, I am a huge fan of him but you didn't get the point when I spoke Pog doesn't give as much attention as MVP to classics.

Reactions: Salvarani
Looking forward to see Pogacar win Gent-Wevelgem 3 times
Pogacar's greatest virtue was staying away from the infirmary since 2019. The main rivals are going a lot of times to the infirmary when we see the clinical history of Vingegaard, Remco, van der poel, Roglic and Van aert.

When he faces real competition like in the past two editions of the Tour de France and in the past 2 editions of World championships, he wins way less.

Nevertheless, staying on the bike is a virtue, not just "luck". Except for the wrist last year he has been doing a good job staying out of trouble.

Reactions: Berniece

haha another one on the day they sure seems to stack up these days :tearsofjoy:

Hes ofc right too, different eras, qualities etc and personally why im not myself the biggest fan of goat debate in itself other than ppl seem to put him there already, goat or no goat he is on the pedestal with merckx already which has up to now been unheard of in cycling. Weve all lost count on ppl with far more knowledge than us (gilbert, contador thomas etcetc) say this on every occasion now, Its just is what it is, just enjoy it were all lucky.

Last edited:
I didnt say that.

But you are subjectively discussing the question.

Based on wins and results, Pog is currently ahead. Thats is what matters to determine best/greatest generational GT-talent at the end of day. Not who was strongest in one year out of 10 or something years.
I'm not subjectively discussing anything. Head to head confrontations in GTs, especially the Tour, count for the title. Win more GTs, but get trounced at the Tour repeatedly, and you aren't the one you say statistically.

Last edited:
I'm not subjectively discussing anything. Head to head confrontations in GTs, especially the Tour, count for the title. Win more GTs, but get trounced at the Tour repeatedly, and you aren't the one you say statistically.
Yes, you are since you are only seemingly wanting count and refer to the last two Tours... to say Vinge is in the "lead". Only wanting to talk about the Tour as well. Nothing else.

That doesnt work for a generational conversation about who is the best GT rider. For that counts wins and other results over a longer period of time in GTs, where Pog RIGHT NOW leads over Vinge. No matter what you want to say.

And if Vinge goes on to win more than Pog, then he will be in the lead and eventually be able to claim to be the best generational GT-rider. We dont know if that will happen yet though. We can only talk about today and make guesses about the future.

Over time they will likely have years were they where the best and where they were not. It is how it all adds up later, overall, that matters for this generational conversation.

Facts today are Pog is in the lead for being the best generational GT-rider, something that you said he would have to be to be able to claim a GOAT-status.

Dont know how many times this has to be repeated. It is the facts TODAY. It might not be in a month, a year or five years.

Yes, you are since you are only seemingly wanting count and refer to the last two Tours... to say Vinge is in the "lead". Only wanting to talk about the Tour as well. Nothing else.

That doesnt work for a generational conversation about who is the best GT rider. For that counts wins and other results over a longer period of time in GTs, where Pog RIGHT NOW leads over Vinge. No matter what you want to say.

And if Vinge goes on to win more than Pog, then he will be in the lead and eventually be able to claim to be the best generational GT-rider. We dont know if that will happen yet though. We can only talk about today and make guesses about the future.

Over time they will likely have years were they where the best and where they were not. It is how it all adds up later, overall, that matters for this generational conversation.

Facts today are Pog is in the lead for being the best generational GT-rider, something that you said he would have to be to be able to claim a GOAT-status.

Dont know how many times this has to be repeated. It is the facts TODAY. It might not be in a month, a year or five years.
He will only have a GOAT status if he wins:

5x Tour France
4x Giro d'Italia
La Vuelta

7x Milan San Remo
2x Tour Flandres
3x Paris Roubaix
5x liege bastogne liege
2x Giro di Lombardia.

Until then he can't be the GOAT, and these stats are facts. He is very far from that.

He will only have a GOAT status if he wins:

5x Tour France
4x Giro d'Italia
La Vuelta

7x Milan San Remo
2x Tour Flandres
3x Paris Roubaix
5x liege bastogne liege
2x Giro di Lombardia.

Until then he can't be the GOAT, and these stats are facts. He is very far from that.
The conversation is only pertaining about him being this generation best GT-rider to be able to reach GOAT-status, which he leads atm, as the poster said he would have to be for them to be able to say he is the GOAT.

However, he is already the GOAT though. Dont care about you and what you say at all. Stop quoting me and follow me around. Weirdo.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
The conversation is only pertaining about him being this generation best GT-rider to be able to reach GOAT-status, which he leads atm, as the poster said he would have to be for them to be able to say he is the GOAT.

However, he is already the GOAT though. Dont care about you and what you say at all. Stop quoting me and follow me around. Weirdo.
What is that definition of "GOAT status"? There is only one GOAT and that it. GOAT is something that doesn't exist.

He can be your GOAT in your heart, like Vingegaard or Van der poel can be the GOAT of my heart. Doesn't mean they are the real GOAT.

Reactions: Berniece