• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Pogačar as GOAT: already, never, or when?

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

As of June 2024, can Pogacar be considered GOAT?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I don't agree, Pog has been dethroned by Vingegaard. Unfortunately we may not see a proper fight this year.
I know you dont agree. Vinge was just the best GT-rider in 2022-2023. It isnt enough to lead a conversation about being this generations best GT-rider.

It doesnt change the fact Pog is in the lead for that on what you can actually go by when talking the best generational GT-rider. Which is wins and results.

Vinge need more wins and if in five years it is still close/even... what you say will likely tip the scale. Not now though.

Pog leads, today. All that is being said.

Because he was 3rd in the Vuelta
He entered at least as a co leader, Froome was working for wiggins in 2011 and 2012.

Talking about competition, many wins by Pogacar were against "farmers" like in this Giro or in strade bianche, so it doesn't make sense saying something like that about Merckx since he faced good riders like Poulidor, Gimondi, Agostinho.

Those riders in the past with the conditions the riders have today, would be even better riders.

Guys just listen Pogacar is put on the pedestal already no matter how much me, you or anyone here argue over it, hes put there by his peers ALREADY in case your not paying attention, not by me ,not us its irrelevant :tearsofjoy:

Watch tv without sound if you dont like it is my tip and honestly how this is such a warm topic for certain someone is personally wierd for me but thats fine I agree tho those saying he is the goat already its controversial cause well it is hes not there yet and if you mean he is you have to draw the card of competition like ive seen many profiles in cycling do well then its a argument i get it but yeah im not part of that it can be debated forever these things my case and my case only is he is on that pedestal alongside him (not saying he is GREATER than Merckx, cause honestly I personally dont think that either yet but fine if anyone do im not that into that)

Goat or not goat people doesnt matter so much to me atleast, im one of those who also find that description rather pointless no matter the sport it will always be hard since different eras etc but froome, contador, gilbert etc etc all the greats of this century noone was ever put on that pedestal even tho their all legends of the sports too, well pogacar has been put there already and if you argue that thats fine but he has im sorry - and not by me, not by you but by his peers already it is what it is. Just enjoy it holy moly :tearsofjoy:
GOAT.

I know you dont agree. Vinge was just the best GT-rider in 2022-2023. It isnt enough to lead a conversation about being this generations best GT-rider.

It doesnt change the fact Pog is in the lead for that on what you can actually go by when talking the best generational GT-rider. Which is wins and results.

Vinge need more wins and if in five years it is still close/even... what you say will likely tip the scale. Not now though.

Pog leads, today. All that is being said.
And Pog was the best GT in 2020-2021. Actually what we can go on is the fact that Tadej was destroyed by Vingegaard the last two Tours. I'm thus waiting for more data and, until Tadej beats Jonas in a square fight, can't decide.

This is to discuss if Pogacar is the GOAT of cycling not Vingegaard vs Pogacar thread.
Agree 100% its getting very old and repetetiv..., most of em are just ignored for me even tho i wanne take em serious its impossible to do for me even tho i want. At this point its just I get it where else they gonne discuss it and with whome? cause for most ppl thats a non topic and kmost dont care at all about it i get it i really do i guess thats why they only discuss it in pogacar thread its not hard to grasp but we even have own thread for that i guess why not talk about it there as much as you want thats awesome? :)

The guy has won 2 GT's both against a injured/lesser version pogacar and hes not even greater than Roglic in these terms where talking here..even tho hes obvious a fantastic rider in case anyone misunderstood that.

Last edited:
[deleted content]

2. There are no facts. Only interpretations.

[deleted content]

Merckx was a real professional who largely rode against cigar farmers. People who had to work on the side because they couldn't make a living of their sport. It was a bit like the time of women's cycling today. You can compare it a bit with that. There are riders with gigantic contracts who can make a great living for their sport and there is a very large group who have to cycle for 500 euros and a shirt and pants."

"Everyone always talks about Eddy Merckx's hundreds of victories, but you may also wonder who he won them against," he explains.

"Currently the peloton consists of all highly paid professionals. No, I find the supremacy of Pogacar and Mathieu van der Poel more impressive than that of Merckx,” the Dutchman concludes, referencing the epic one-day performances of the Rainbow Jersey wearing Dutchman who has also drawn comparisons to Merckx in recent times thanks to the manner of his victories.

Quite telling that this former Dutch rider talks about the supremacy of Pogačar and Van der Poel but not of Vingegaard. After all, the pair of them are by far the riders with more big wins of this new generation, 9 and 7 respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Salvarani
And Pog was the best GT in 2020-2021. Actually what we can go on is the fact that Tadej was destroyed by Vingegaard the last two Tours. I'm thus waiting for more data and, until Tadej beats Jonas in a square fight, can't decide.
It is not what we can go on for generational conversation. And I have said. They are gonna have years over a longer time period. Where one was better, than the other.

So in the end… wins and other results will matter, where Pog is in the lead TODAY. Only talking about who is leading, TODAY.

• Haha
Reactions: Extinction
The GOAT with a goat:

448388306_18439610857048430_7248189602043989377_n.jpg

[deleted content]

2. There are no facts. Only interpretations.

[deleted content]

Merckx was a real professional who largely rode against cigar farmers. People who had to work on the side because they couldn't make a living of their sport. It was a bit like the time of women's cycling today. You can compare it a bit with that. There are riders with gigantic contracts who can make a great living for their sport and there is a very large group who have to cycle for 500 euros and a shirt and pants."

"Everyone always talks about Eddy Merckx's hundreds of victories, but you may also wonder who he won them against," he explains.

"Currently the peloton consists of all highly paid professionals. No, I find the supremacy of Pogacar and Mathieu van der Poel more impressive than that of Merckx,” the Dutchman concludes, referencing the epic one-day performances of the Rainbow Jersey wearing Dutchman who has also drawn comparisons to Merckx in recent times thanks to the manner of his victories.

I would really like to see a respond to this famous athlete by the farmers themselves: De Vlaeminck, Moser, Zoetemelk, Gimondi...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Berniece
Saying Merckx is the GOAT of cycling is like saying Joe Davis is the GOAT of snooker. I didn't see Merckx racing (and there are users who defend Merckx as the GOAT and they didn't see too). Cycling is a different sport since the 90's and I can tell you one thing, in modern cycling, no one comes close in terms of talent, palmares, charisma and dominance that Pogacar shows us every single year. And thanks god we have Vingegaard to slow down Pogacar's palmares. Can you imagine a 25 years old kid with 5 Tours? Merckx had 2, Hinault had 2, Anquetil had 1, Indurain had 0, Lance had 0.
Maybe it is just me but after seeing Roglic this season, I only see Vingegaard beating Pogacar again and it is a big if due to his horrible crash.

Saying Merckx is the GOAT of cycling is like saying Joe Davis is the GOAT of snooker. I didn't see Merckx racing (and there are users who defend Merckx as the GOAT and they didn't see too). Cycling is a different sport since the 90's and I can tell you one thing, in modern cycling, no one comes close in terms of talent, palmares, charisma and dominance that Pogacar shows us every single year. And thanks god we have Vingegaard to slow down Pogacar's palmares. Can you imagine a 25 years old kid with 5 Tours? Merckx had 2, Hinault had 2, Anquetil had 1, Indurain had 0, Lance had 0.
Maybe it is just me but after seeing Roglic this season, I only see Vingegaard beating Pogacar again and it is a big if due to his horrible crash.

But who is actually claiming that Joe Davis is the GOAT of snooker? Unlike in cycling, the biggest competitions today, apart from the WC, weren't around back then.
Merckx is much more Stephen Hendry-like, from the days before O'Sullivan started to equal/beat his records.

Quite telling that this former Dutch rider talks about the supremacy of Pogačar and Van der Poel but not of Vingegaard. After all, the pair of them are by far the riders with more big wins of this new generation, 9 and 7 respectively.
Yes not exactly hard for anyone to see
The GOAT with a goat:

448388306_18439610857048430_7248189602043989377_n.jpg
Awesome picture their having fun i see.