• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Poll: Is Dave Brailsford's position safe at team Sky?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The ship is sinking for Dave Brailsford, will he weather the storm?

• Yes

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Good riddance.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Damn, I'll be sorry to see him go.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Who's Dave Brailsford?

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
People are starting to talk, as was obvious from jiffybag story leak to Matt Lawton

but others too

Ken Matheson@kenem
@Scienceofsport Long statement going back 18yrs re. DB's lies, bullying, harassment, wrongful dismissal of staff, financial misconduct etc..
I thought he was a mastermind. :confused:

Matheson jumping ship and speaking out means things are pretty bad for DB and BC.

This bit is interesting..

Ken Matheson ‏@kenem 6 hours ago
@Scienceofsport Well I'm talking now - and sod the gagging clause!

Wonder how many gagging clauses there are attached to Brailsford/Sky/Brit Cycling.

It would appear the CEO's of British Cycling were aware of them

Ken Matheson@kenem
@ffflow .... and BC CEO's well aware of problems for years, but medals suppressed will for proper governance.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Cheers b.
Matheson speaking up. Thats really interesting.
I don't think he s gonna go for the doping angle, but apparently he had plenty of other stuff to report.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
Cheers b.
Matheson speaking up. Thats really interesting.
I don't think he s gonna go for the doping angle, but apparently he had plenty of other stuff to report.

Alan Moore@DangerKidsBooks
@kenem Ken, doping is the icing, underneath is real sub-human behaviour, bullying, sex abuse, blacklisting etc. Get one, more,will fall.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Subhuman behavior. Love it.
A lot of developments today on Twitter, hard to keep up.
Walsh making a mess of that interview. Matheson opening up.
M. Syed getting blasted left right and centre.
Good times.

Jspear said:
King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure he will, I've basically given up on bike racing as a sport :(

Why the sad face? Sky has brought back credibility to cycling. They don't need to be part of the MPCC or anything like that. They possess within their organization a higher and more superior ethic.

Because it's just a sad indictment of where the sport is. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. It's the latest in a long line of problems that keeps cycling as the proverbial whipping boy for other sports to point finger at and Sky claim to be clean but are actually perpetuating this.

I don't really care if DB is telling the truth or not here. The fact that it has taken this much to get the supposed truth out of Sky means that he should be gone if they are going to continue any kind of claims to credibility or openness. He says all it took was a phone call to the Dr, it should have been cleared up the day the story broke but after this constant lying and back-tracking I don't know how anyone can believe a word that comes out of DBs mouth.

He simply cannot weather this storm. Now people feel they can and will be heard, more will come out the woodwork.

And when Sky pulls out (as they may well do), that may well be the end of the Protour as we know it. Risk of bad publicity/reward has become so skewed in the wrong direction

I can only hope that from the ashes of it, something better and stronger arises.

(And yes, I remain ever the optimist)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
He simply cannot weather this storm. Now people feel they can and will be heard, more will come out the woodwork.

And when Sky pulls out (as they may well do), that may well be the end of the Protour as we know it. Risk of bad publicity/reward has become so skewed in the wrong direction

I can only hope that from the ashes of it, something better and stronger arises.

Rather a sport of amateur teams racing than the circus the sport has become, where the rich buy impunity to dope as they please.

Take Brailsford offering Lawton info on other teams TUEs, where did he get that info? Reedie, UKAD, Cookson...

The cesspit rolls on and will continue to roll on.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Catwhoorg said:

Rather a sport of amateur teams racing than the circus the sport has become, where the rich buy impunity to dope as they please.

Take Brailsford offering Lawton info on other teams TUEs, where did he get that info? Reedie, UKAD, Cookson...

The cesspit rolls on and will continue to roll on.
And then to imagine that the guy in charge of the UCI is the former president of BC who's reputation and career is inseparably intertwined with that of Sky/BC.
Whilst the COIs have been obvious for many years now, the really sad thing is that the British press are only now starting to add 1+1.

As for Dave, it's a bit of a mystery why Dave hasn't left yet.
He was expected to resign well before the the hearing.
Now the money is again on him resigning sooner than later.
Why he hasn't yet is anybody's guess.

It's not a straightforward decision though. It's about how to ensure that the dams won't break.

Ultimately, I think Brailsford will keep his position. After-all his actions in terms of the TUEs received were only possible because the UCI approved them and WADA (if rules were followed) will have all the supporting evidence required on those TUEs (falsified, accurate or non-existing) to back-up the UCI's decisions to justify Wiggins his TUEs or not. (I'm talking in terms of Sky/CAS v UCI/WADA/UKAD really, not necessarily public opinion making Brailsford stand down). Add to this, he personally requested UKAD to investigate Wiggins & Sky for wrongdoing instead of continual squirming against the media, he's perhaps rather cleverly passed over all responsibility of ultimate wrongdoing, if that's found to be the case to anti-doping and not carried it on himself to get to the bottom of this.

A very similar scenario in cycling's recent past would be perhaps Bruyneel requesting USADA to investigate Armstrong over his 1999 saddle sore treatment at the time. Brailsford has certainly flipped the telling of the story into something never seen before. i.e. a Team Manager asking his NADO to investigate him and his team. Ultimately UKAD, UCI & WADA will have known what's happened here and I think ultimately, Brailsford is aware their own positions are also at stake which given history of protecting themselves, means ultimately Brailsford is protected by UCI & WADA anti-doping ineptitude if Wiggins therapeutic requirement is not justified in the supporting TUE documentation submitted by Freeman & Hargreaves. THe package, I think we'll never know unless there is a clear trail of evidence. The worst will be lack of process over a legal prescription if the package is found to really be what UKAD says it is.

12.25.2016-13.45.png

https://cyclingtips.com/news/uk-anti-doping-agency-investigators-search-british-cycling-hq/

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

DFA123 said:
sniper said:
King Boonen said:
Honestly, I think he'll get away with it if the UKAD report comes back "clean".
Yes, but my bet is he'll still resign.
He'll get cleared, then resigns.
A bit like Sutton (who effectively got cleared).
Win win.

This. I reckon he'll weather it in the short term and then gradually step out of the limelight next season. Perhaps 'moving upstairs' to some kind of advisory role with less direct accountability.

These two words are where the DB narrative is now at as he attempts to muddy the waters over just how accountable he actually is. Incidentally there are conflicting accounts -

His version set out to parliament is a highly 'departmentalised' Team Sky on which he has overall control but no knowledge of each departments activities who already 'know' the teams stance.

But others are now coming out of the woodwork saying that his management style is more dictatorial in nature than the sofa style Tony Blair style he describes.

If the latter is the more accurate of the two his claim to know nothing of what goes on in the 'medical department' will fall apart pretty quick - I think this is what we see now.

As an aside i have seen this 'strategy' in Corporate Liability Law. In organisations where there is not a clear chain of command it makes culpability a lot more difficult to put at the feet of CEO's. Like somebody else said the legal advice is probably flowing full stream behind the scenes.

B_Ugli said:
DFA123 said:
sniper said:
King Boonen said:
Win win.

This. I reckon he'll weather it in the short term and then gradually step out of the limelight next season. Perhaps 'moving upstairs' to some kind of advisory role with less direct accountability.

These two words are where the DB narrative is now at as he attempts to muddy the waters over just how accountable he actually is. Incidentally there are conflicting accounts -

His version set out to parliament is a highly 'departmentalised' Team Sky on which he has overall control but no knowledge of each departments activities who already 'know' the teams stance.

But others are now coming out of the woodwork saying that his management style is more dictatorial in nature than the sofa style Tony Blair style he describes.

If the latter is the more accurate of the two his claim to know nothing of what goes on in the 'medical department' will fall apart pretty quick - I think this is what we see now.

As an aside i have seen this 'strategy' in Corporate Liability Law. In organisations where there is not a clear chain of command it makes culpability a lot more difficult to put at the feet of CEO's. Like somebody else said the legal advice is probably flowing full stream behind the scenes.

well, and rightly so. better try to fend the accusations, even if it´s quite late, they made a mess during these 3 months

B_Ugli said:
DFA123 said:
sniper said:
King Boonen said:
Win win.

The issue is not Team Sky. Parliament has little interest in a private company. Their concern is the tax payer funded money into British Cycling and the cross over into the private entity. This has nothing to do with corporate law, as there is no such thing in the UK. Its known as the 'Companies Act' and is primarily based on disclosure, that's why the select comittee are so intent on the records for prescription medicine - disclosure.

Latest posts