• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are you saying he can pedal more watts at altitude, or that the delta between his sea level and altitude performances is lower?

I haven't seen evidence of the latter but we haven't seen prime Quintana et al head to head with Vingo.
What vingegaard did on granon is better than what quintana and bernal did (for example on iseran stage) in his careers at altitude. Actually, the performance of quintana on granon was really good.

Even in tour france 2021 at col du portet, Vingegaard beat quintana's(from 2018) record on that climb.

Sure, but this is not very interesting. It's obvious that Vingo is a better rider than Quintana. The question is whether Vingo is relatively better than his peers at altitude --- i.e. what factor we'd have to adjust his altitude performances to get a comparable power figure for sea level.
I think the claim is more about absolute terms. The general vibe has still been that the Colombians are at least equal to the best at high altitude when at their best, like when MAL does a demolition.

Col du Tourmalet (last 12.35 km, 8.85 %, 1093 m):

2023:
36'52'' Vingegaard, Pogačar (VAM = 1779 m/h, [Dr.F] = 6.17 W/kg)
38'02'' Kuss
38'32'' Bardet

2003:
38'42'' Armstrong, Ullrich, Zubeldia, Mayo

If I have the segment right. It was a very uneven pace, only going supersonic once Kelderman took over.

Col du Tourmalet (last 12.35 km, 8.85 %, 1093 m):

2023:
36'52'' Vingegaard, Pogačar (VAM = 1779 m/h, [Dr.F] = 6.17 W/kg)
38'02'' Kuss
38'32'' Bardet

2003:
38'42'' Armstrong, Ullrich, Zubeldia, Mayo

If I have the segment right. It was a very uneven pace, only going supersonic once Kelderman took over.
Basically like Vingegaard on Granon 2022 despite Granon being higher, the final climb after an insane day, and basically everyone being better in 2023.

Estimates have them doing 6.8 W/kg for the final 13'30 roughly.

Contador did 6.7 on verbier.

6.7 was using Ferarri's formula I believe, though yesterdays stage was harder than that one was, that stage in 2009 was basically perfect for an insane W/KG like Lo Port this year.

The guy's who estimated Vingegaard's performance here had Contador's Verbier at 7.2W/KG, Lemond outright said he didn't believe Alberto was clean after the stage.

I heard they might've gone faster than Rominger(?) on Tourmalet today, this wasn't a bad day for Vingegaard at all just a great recovery from Pogacar.

Edit: Not Jalabert

Here is Fignon's account of the 1993 Tour when the record was set

EXMZdpeXkAYt1I9

Last edited:
6.7 was using Ferarri's formula I believe, though yesterdays stage was harder than that one was, that stage in 2009 was basically perfect for an insane W/KG like Lo Port this year.

The guy's who estimated Vingegaard's performance here had Contador's Verbier at 7.2W/KG, Lemond outright said he didn't believe Alberto was clean after the stage.

I heard they might've gone faster than Rominger(?) on Tourmalet today, this wasn't a bad day for Vingegaard at all just a great recovery from Pogacar.

Edit: Not Jalabert
ammattipyoraily calculated 6.72 w/kg for contador on verbier.

The Verbier numbers when I calculated them were as follows (I had to dig for these files):

Forecast values
P100
6.26​
P90
6.42​
P80
6.48​
P70
6.54​
P60
6.60​
P50
6.67​
P40
6.75​
P30
6.83​
P20
6.91​
P10
7.00​
P0
7.23​

The most likely scenario was 6.7 w/kg. The VAM formula was calculted at 6.9 w/kg. I do not remember the difference at that moment. It looks like yesterday they were higher on Marie Blanque

Here is Fignon's account of the 1993 Tour when the record was set

EXMZdpeXkAYt1I9
Interesting read, also reminded me of the comments from some riders last year, like Thomas De Gendt talking about trying to ride as he'd always done, with numbers still around his best, yet instead of getting in breakaways he was being spat out the back of the peloton. As if the sport had passed him by and there was no longer a place for him. Very similar sentiments, it seems.