• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gung Ho Gun said:
So then Quintana would've finished about a minute after Pantani in 1999, putting him alongside Heras?

17.2014: 18:30 Nairo Quintana 21.73 km/h
22.1999: 18:37 Roberto Heras 21.59 km/h

http://www.climbing-records.com/2014/05/speeding-up-oropa-top-30-fastest-ever.html

with an easy stage like '99, probably quintana could have gone around 20-30 seconds faster. just a guess though
1993 was also easier than this year, only bielmonte, no noveis.
2007 was a 12 km itt but except il trullo volante,no one went nuclear

Okay, so today reassembled the closest thing to a 1980s mountain stage i have seen since...well...the 1980s.

And it was riveting.

Again things definitely look low octane. We have Rolland and Hesj at the front of the race and that bodes well. And then we have 4-5 under 25 year olds competing in GC. Now that's something that has been noticeably missing in GTs since epo arrived. And how about all those cracks appearing the day after what used to be the traditional refill day...

But, again, looks can be deceiving.

Any numbers anyone?

Dear Wiggo said:
Hesj at the front of the race bodes well? Do you mind expanding on the logic behind this? Can't quite follow it.

Bodes extremely well. I have little doubt that he is clean.

And that bodes well for the fan. We may be actually fairly close to a true heirarchy at this giro, though I have had my doubts about quintano's disappearing act two months befor ech of his great GT perfs...

Thanks for asking.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Big Doopie said:
Bodes extremely well. I have little doubt that he is clean.

And that bodes well for the fan. We may be actually fairly close to a true heirarchy at this giro, though I have had my doubts about quintano's disappearing act two months befor ech of his great GT perfs...

Thanks for asking.

So a clean Hesjedal won the 2012 Giro? So all the dopers at that Giro could not match a clean Ryder?

This is your logic?

Dear Wiggo said:
So a clean Hesjedal won the 2012 Giro? So all the dopers at that Giro could not match a clean Ryder?

This is your logic?

It's hard to take it all in, I know. Did you read my entire post or did you fixate only on your one obsession.

If speeds are down and riding to exhaustion is again something that happens (as it appeared today) natural talent can compete against low octane. Lemond, van hooydonck, delion, hampsten did all right against low octane competition, no?

Today looked very low octane to me. Watch the riders coming up the last climb today and then watch pantani or Armstrong and you'll see what I mean...

Sep 29, 2012
Big Doopie said:
It's hard to take it all in, I know. Did you read my entire post or did you fixate only on your one obsession.

If speeds are down and riding to exhaustion is again something that happens (as it appeared today) natural talent can compete against low octane. Lemond, van hooydonck, delion, hampsten did all right against low octane competition, no?

Today looked very low octane to me. Watch the riders coming up the last climb today and then watch pantani or Armstrong and you'll see what I mean...

I see whilst trying to put me down you avoided answering my question.

Or you are embarrassed to admit that yes, you think Ryder won the 2012 Giro clean, beating anyone who was doping in that race.

For anyone else reading: my obsession is in fact refuting people like JV claiming weird theories in an attempt to explain why the BP values he released were abnormal.

And when posters forget these weird theories and incredible performances, reminding them in an attempt to set some sort of context longer than 12 months for the assertions they are making.

Oh that is about my favorite. Oh, yeh da klanicians who actually have decided that it will up their kred in the klinic if they attack jv and Garmin. False equivocation is da name of da game in da klinic. But look how in the know I am if I go after jv and Garmin. I mean that is so outta left field the other klanicians will give me da undying respect.

Freakin' benotti is da posta child for that one, wiggy, you got look for your klinic kred somewhere else my friend. Why don't you go after kimmage o bassons. I mean that would be like "out ther" you know what I mean? You'd reach da highest level of klinic respect wiv summin' like dat, my friend-o!

Vetoo has posted up the numbers for the major climbs of the Grand tours for the past 10 years or so (the forum/website is in Finnish but the numbers are self explanatory) and If any tour in the past few years were clean, it was the Giro 2012 - much lower average wattage than other tours.

The numbers are really interesting reading. Sky, for instance, have really pushed up the numbers with there wins. Contador's Giro 2011 performance, while dominant on the road, was not the most impressive numbers wise (possibly due to the difficulty of the parcours).

Sep 29, 2012
jens_attacks said:
there can't be made any proper comparison from those numbers
as an example, the 2012 giro is so low because the stelvio was taken into account. of course you can't have big numbers for more than one hour at more than 1800 meters. just like yesterday.

the conditions would play a part also - wet roads, cold, etc.

Giro 2014//Stage 16

On that stage there were 3 major climbs.
Weather conditions were quite bad, to say the least.
If anybody clocked the top racers or leaders on those climbs I would be interested to know the times.

From the live commentary on cyclingnews i get
GAVIA 54 min for the 1360 meters uphill
STELVIO about 1:11 for 1543 m
VAL MARTELLO 59 min for 1400 m.

But obviously those are very rough values.

Thanks for your help.

Le breton said:
On that stage there were 3 major climbs.
Weather conditions were quite bad, to say the least.
If anybody clocked the top racers or leaders on those climbs I would be interested to know the times.

From the live commentary on cyclingnews i get
GAVIA 54 min for the 1360 meters uphill
STELVIO about 1:11 for 1543 m
VAL MARTELLO 59 min for 1400 m.

But obviously those are very rough values.

Thanks for your help.
There wasn't live pictures from the beginning of Gavia, but according to Kelderman's strava data (where only the first part seems legite) the bunch (which I assume he was part of) rode it in 56'40''.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146229983

I haven't seen any times for Stelvio, but the entire footage is on rai: http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programm...t-910e3bff-4064-44f8-98a8-15dffc44a58d&page=0

jens_attacks has the times for Val Martello: http://www.climbing-records.com/2014/05/quintana-destroys-competition-on-slopes.html

Netserk said:
There wasn't live pictures from the beginning of Gavia, but according to Kelderman's strava data (where only the first part seems legite) the bunch (which I assume he was part of) rode it in 56'40''.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146229983

I haven't seen any times for Stelvio, but the entire footage is on rai: http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programm...t-910e3bff-4064-44f8-98a8-15dffc44a58d&page=0

jens_attacks has the times for Val Martello: http://www.climbing-records.com/2014/05/quintana-destroys-competition-on-slopes.html

Many thanks!!!

Netserk said:

I saw that Cataldo reaches the bottom of the climb at a time like 64:40-50 into the programme
and the summit
at 135:55.
i.e. something like 1:11:00 for Stelvio.
It's possible to refine that estimate, in particular if one knows well Bormio.
It is also possible to infer the starting time by subtracting from Quintana's finishing time (about 4:42) the time announced on the replay video.