• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BroDeal said:
I skimmed through the paper. What I got from it is that estimates in little wind can be quite accurate. I did not find the conclusions matched some of what was in the paper. The word "dishonest" was used to refer to people using such estimates. I found this a bit strange. The apparent bad blood between Vayer and the authors make the use seem like an attack on a rival. They also seem to shy away from the obvious, that error could be made very small by using multiple climbs.

The bottom line is whether you want to go through convoluted math to estimate Wattages or not, when a rider is repeatedly doing equivalent times on climbs as the best dopers of the blood vector doping era then something is wrong.

Well the real problem is that Froome and Wiggins went ahead and messed up all those "clean" thresholds.

Now there's a load of guys having to readjust everything.

Thank god for tailwinds. That will explain it for this year.

Next year we'll just say this is the new normal.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Well the real problem is that Froome and Wiggins went ahead and messed up all those "clean" thresholds.

Now there's a load of guys having to readjust everything.

Thank god for tailwinds. That will explain it for this year.

Next year we'll just say this is the new normal.

They've hired a new team meteorologist. Kim Terrison says "vacuum winds" are expected through 2014.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
He then commented on the accusations that have been made against Lance Armstrong regarding 'impossible' power outputs. "Certain people say silly things. When we are told that a rider is not able to put out 420 - 430 Watts in a time trial, that is false. Not so long ago, one of the riders with whom I was involved climbed Mont Faron at a power of 400 Watts for 20 minutes, and he is far from being Armstrong. Consequently, I am not astonished that Armstrong or others can produce 460 or 470 Watts on a mountain. It is not impossible."

In addition, a cadence of 80-90 rpm to produce this power on climbs is also not impossible, according to Grappe. "It is the result of many days of hard work. With what has happened in the past 10 years, many riders are using bigger gear ratios. Some have lost the suppleness, i.e. they are not able to utilise higher pedalling frequencies...a high pedalling frequency makes it possible to relieve the muscles," said Grappe who expressed his annoyance of people's poor analysis of the data.

Too bad we need tailwinds and inaccurate SRMs to explain the mutants these days. So much more trouble.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Too bad we need tailwinds and inaccurate SRMs to explain the mutants these days. So much more trouble.
Lol, Grappe doing a Grappe once again.

Too bad Fred is bound by obligation not to show the difference between his calculation on Ax 3 Domaines and the powerfile he was given for that climb.

http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/le-tour-de-france-stage-19/

Even with Ferrari's VAM method the % is nowhere near what is suggested in that study, or was there no wind at Croix Fry? Only wind on Ax 3 and Ventoux.

Fluff stuff. Release the powerfiles and things will be clear.

about lanciano:

it was a messy broadcast . first 3 kms were not filmed...
i timed it on an online stream, still have to verify it with some recordings.

9,3 km@8,6---27:05 ivan basso 2006
9,3 km@8,6---28:20 alberto contador 2014...which would be roughly 6 w/kg

and just like i said, not 100% sure.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
Did anybody time today's last climb in the T-A stage race (stage won by Contador)?

It depends on the start location for Passo Lanciano but the most accurate I have seen are Basso 16:00, Contador 16:43. The same starting and ending point

jens_attacks said:
about lanciano:

it was a messy broadcast . first 3 kms were not filmed...
i timed it on an online stream, still have to verify it with some recordings.

9,3 km@8,6---27:05 ivan basso 2006
9,3 km@8,6---28:20 alberto contador 2014...which would be roughly 6 w/kg

and just like i said, not 100% sure.

Basso finished a top of Lanciano?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Interesting chart from Vetoo

Bi_8C2hCMAAlyu7.png

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Contador must have had a tailwind and RoboBasso didn't :D

I have not seen anything about wind on either day, but race situation could play a role. Basso was trying to win the Giro and went full gas. He crushed the field quickly and it was a mountain top finish. Contador still had another climb to go and was saving his matches.

Race Radio said:
I have not seen anything about wind on either day, but race situation could play a role. Basso was trying to win the Giro and went full gas. He crushed the field quickly and it was a mountain top finish. Contador still had another climb to go and was saving his matches.

Also seemed to slow down once he caught Hansen and it was clear Nairo wasn't coming back.

TRENDING THREADS