• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Power Data Estimates for the climbing stages

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The speeds are worrisome, and the UAE staff history is just impossible for me to turn away from. I have difficulties believing TP is not fully vested in the gear given his performances last year and his team. This said, AY is right up there too, isn't he? :p Like others, I wonder what the trends will be this year and if we will see records just getting detonated.

The speeds are worrisome, and the UAE staff history is just impossible for me to turn away from. I have difficulties believing TP is not fully vested in the gear given his performances last year and his team. This said, AY is right up there too, isn't he? :p Like others, I wonder what the trends will be this year and if we will see records just getting detonated.
Not only interested in just the performance levels, but also the variation in it. Last year for me the big takeway wasn't just the full nuclear speeds in the Tour and Giro, but also the incredible day to day variation, first by Pogacar in the Tour, then by the entirety of Ineos until the Tour and then after the Tour when they all started absolutely flying. Then there's also the hilarity the first ~10 days of the Giro compared to the final 10 days.

Reactions: Luthor
Entire peloton catching on. Last year PN Quitnana flew 45s away from everyone, now like 6 guys ride his time or faster
The smallish gaps seem to indicate that.
Still, I doubt that Quintana is in the same shape he was last year.
He just came back after a knee injury and with his Father being in the hospital because of Covid he didn't have an ideal prep, to say the least.

Is ooc testing back to pre-Covid frequency or is it still pretty much free for all?

2013 had a really bad headwind if I remember correctly, of course it didn't stop Sky from putting Henao and Uran on the front to set a strong tempo, but I think seeing Tim Wellens 18th at +2:05 also going faster than 2013 Froome puts it in perspective a little bit. 6.6 w/kg is still insane though, I dont really know what to think.

Reactions: Cookster15
Who was the doctor who wrote the letter to the UCI back in 1997 in order to put the hematocrit level before we saw dead riders on the road? I see some people sending letters to the UCI warning them of something going on. Let's be realistic, this is happening too fast.

Pogacar, Roglic and climbing speeds since last year's TdF and Giro and now continuing are scary stuff. The truth is out there. Lets find it. Maybe time to put the microscope back on the UCI / WADA testing / UCI passport? Something doesn't look right. JV also has also started the season in ballistic form at both TA and PN. A monster team right now but riders from other teams doing some amazing numbers.

There are many possible reasons why in certain races the pace is higher, climbing times are better. But since it seems to happen in almost every race now, it's hard to blame the circumstances. At this point it really seems obvious, something has changed, and not for the better.
Some questions I'm asking myself: Does this apply to the peloton in general, or is it just the cream? Since more riders than usual seem to find it hard to simply hang on, nobody really wants to get into break-aways anymore, is that due to super-strong teams against smaller teams, or is it also an effect?
Will there be a serious effort to unmask things (haha in these times), or will there be a thinking that cycling cannot afford this and everything will be hidden as best as possible?

Take on today's stage - WVA puts in extraordinary performance after extraordinary performance on mountain. Oops, this is overshadowed by vdP putting in a nuclear performance again demonstrating amazing acceleration, with the ability to amazingly recover and ride hard for extended periods. Oops, overshadowed by extraterrestrial thermonuclear reaction known as TP who went ballistic yesterday, and magically recovered to blast away from everyone today and almost win.

Might have been a record on the Poggio. I clocked, 5:48, record stands at 5:46 from 95.
Ammatti and Mihai Simion have it at 5:51 and 5:52 respectively. Still a very fast time considering the size of that group.

Poggio times are weird to me though, they never broke 6 minutes from 2001 to like 2016, so I think there's been a gigantic tactical adaptation as well to just chill all the way to the Poggio and then put as many domestiques and attackers to work. Meanwhile Cipressa times have gotten signiicantly slower between the mid 2000s and the mid 2010s.

TRENDING THREADS